The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
3qtrton

Odd fuel gauge readings

The brake lights 20A fuse on my 1970 C20 has burnt out twice, so I removed a bunch of wires tied together in a ball behind the rear license plate and used electrical tape to tape off the open wires sticking out in all directions. I have to re-do the system to be able to hook up a trailer, but for now I would just like to have working rear lights. Funny thing happened afterwards - the fuel guage needle is sideways pointing to the right hand sector of the guage. Could there by any connection here? I'll have to check the manual to see if I can find a circuit that ties into the rear lights, but is this right sector of the large fuel gauge used for anything? I've had the truck working for a couple of months and the fuel gauge has worked well in the top sector only.

Thanks,

Frank
3qtrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Odd fuel gauge readings

Assuming it is a pickup, forget about grounding unless everything in the cab is acting stupid. The tank is grounded to the cab with a dozen or so nice sized bolts.
Look it the fuse block, you'll probably see a tan wire hanging in the breeze. Look at the block towards top center... A little down from top actually, and look for a plug labeled fuel guage or something lile that. Plug it in. You probably bumped it screwing with the tail light fuse.
Posted via Mobile Device
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Odd fuel gauge readings

Re. tail light wiring.

I got tired of the rats nest from previous attempts by original owner to rewire trailer connectors and who knows what else. I bit the bullet and bought a tail light wire set from one of our vendors. Perfect fit and looks a lot neater.

Lot of previous posts on ground issues and what to do. Here's one.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=ground+strap
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote