The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2020, 07:43 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Air over leaf set up.

A project I had sold quite a few months ago has unfortunately come back to haunt me.

Well since I am bored I plan to build something out of it to pass time, and make a cheap driver. As I still have the engine, and tranny for it. Plus the stuff that didn't get sold with it. Then hopefully sell it again later.

So one of the problems I knew I would have, but never got figured out was. That my front springs are a bit soft, and I had thought of adding coil overs.

Well as I was looking at it today I decided to try air over leaf. I don't want it to lay out, but I need stiffer "springs". So instead of paying more for less performance. I would just do the bags.

Is air over leafs a bad idea if your going to leave the vehicle essentially static? I know it's not a good idea to lay out with them since bending the springs the wrong way will Crack them eventually.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #2
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Air over leaf set up.

What is this on? In my experiences, adding an air bag on top of a leaf spring makes for a harsh ride. It may not be very worth while and you might be able to make brackets and add airbags and mounts and just use the leaf spring to locate the axle?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:24 PM   #3
blazer2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
A project I had sold quite a few months ago has unfortunately come back to haunt me.

Well since I am bored I plan to build something out of it to pass time, and make a cheap driver. As I still have the engine, and tranny for it. Plus the stuff that didn't get sold with it. Then hopefully sell it again later.

So one of the problems I knew I would have, but never got figured out was. That my front springs are a bit soft, and I had thought of adding coil overs.

Well as I was looking at it today I decided to try air over leaf. I don't want it to lay out, but I need stiffer "springs". So instead of paying more for less performance. I would just do the bags.

Is air over leafs a bad idea if your going to leave the vehicle essentially static? I know it's not a good idea to lay out with them since bending the springs the wrong way will Crack them eventually.
What year ? I have AOL bag setup on my 78 blazer using firestone 9000 bags on the back with some pictures how I did mine. I believe they are a 9000 series bag but can let you know for sure
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:09 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

It is a 1965 Chevy G10.

Right now I have both the front, and rear axle flipped with relocated shackle pivots. The drop is just about right, but it is not completely as of yet.

I have added 4 wheel disk brakes, tilt steering, and bucket seats so far. Before I sold it I got 2 more doors with windows. Which I plan cut out, and add to the driver side. So I will have side windows. Then I have found a couple of pop out doors for a later van I am trying to buy so I can graft them into the window less back doors.

I will see if I can find pics of when I sold it.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:16 PM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

Only photos I have.

https://imgur.com/a/hPkoAPG

https://i.imgur.com/PgKmJmd.jpg
Old 12-11-2020, 03:39 PM   #6
SCOTI

With the right spec'd sleeve style bag, it would/could work.

It won't be optimum but I wouldn't call any front suspension w/leaf springs as optimum. The question would be is there room to mount the upper/lower brackets in spots that allow the bag to be @ it's recommended dimensions & pressure.

You'd just maintain limited pressure in the bag to yield the desired 'spring rate'.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:06 PM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust

It looks like I may have to move the radiator again, but I will have plenty of room. Either for sleeve bags or RE6 bags.

The front is the challenge, and the rear is effectively wide open.

Yesterday I mounted the doors 1/2 way. There not aligned yet, but are hung.
Today I put my old engine combo back in, and re mounted my radiator.

Monday I will tidy up the electrics, see what else I need.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
It looks like I may have to move the radiator again, but I will have plenty of room. Either for sleeve bags or RE6 bags.

The front is the challenge, and the rear is effectively wide open.

Yesterday I mounted the doors 1/2 way. There not aligned yet, but are hung.
Today I put my old engine combo back in, and re mounted my radiator.

Monday I will tidy up the electrics, see what else I need.
Since it's strictly a 'helper', whatever fits best should work for you.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote