The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
Kaptain Kadian

Re: aluminum radiator question

I have 2 temperature probes, one that is threaded and one that is inserted into the radiator fins. I want to run the temperature probe for the fan relay in the radiator and not the intake or heads. My threaded port on my radiator is 1/8 and my threaded port is 3/8. I bought an adapter to fit the 3/8 probe into the 1/8 port, but am concerned about it getting an accurate reading with the adapter on it. Anyone else ram an adapter like this?
Kaptain Kadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:58 AM   #2
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
I have 2 temperature probes, one that is threaded and one that is inserted into the radiator fins. I want to run the temperature probe for the fan relay in the radiator and not the intake or heads. My threaded port on my radiator is 1/8 and my threaded port is 3/8. I bought an adapter to fit the 3/8 probe into the 1/8 port, but am concerned about it getting an accurate reading with the adapter on it. Anyone else ram an adapter like this?
I wouldn't want the probe that is responsible for triggering my fans in what is theoretically the coolest part of the cooling system loop, your engine temp might well be over 180-210, but the radiator is showing say 175 so your fans don't come on tell the engine is already over temp... Just my thoughts on the whole probe in the fins idea. Never seen a set up like that that looked good or worked well, at least for long. You're spending a bunch of time and hard earned money on your truck why skimp on something that small.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
Ruscal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
I am using a Derale radiator probe that has been adapted to 3/8npt. I put transistor heat sink compound on the sender/probe joint, and lightly tightened it down. (8-32 brass threads) Go easy!
Derale tech said to put the sender on the bottom radiator outlet. (coolest point)
They also said the radiator probe sometimes does not work well with aluminum radiator cores with large tubes. I decided to go with a wet sender to avoid those problems. I purchased an inline radiator hose sender adaptor. It is aluminum with 1 1/2" double barb and 1/8" NPT hole and a grounding screw terminal.
I am using the Derale PWM fan controller which has an adjustable turn on temperature set point. Right now I am fiddling with the settings to see how it reacts. It comes on at 195F, fans start slowly and ramp up to any speed to bring the temp down. Mine, as the settings are now will bring the temp to 175F at the lower radiator outlet and hold it there. The fans seem to only need to run at slower speeds to maintain that temp. They are very quiet. as they only speed up as necessary. My truck has a 180 T'stat.
The truck is still in the build stage, so no desert tests yet.
Russ

Last edited by Ruscal; 10-13-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote