The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2023, 05:54 PM   #20
leegreen

Re: garage pics

I have too much stuff in our attached garage. Tools, materials, camping stuff. I also own a house in one of the worlds most expensive real-estate markets, Upgrading to a larger yard/detached shop is just a pipe dream.

So my garage is about the size of nvrdone's with a vertical beam in the center to further constrain the space.
The door connecting to the house is taped shut to keep smells out. So the outside man door I added is essential, as is having a switch by that door for a light and the overhead door.

I have shelves on the 2 interior walls which helps a bit to keep sound out of the house and some of the horde off the floor - but you will never have enough shelves. My shelves are all fixed to wall. If I did it over I'd build them so I could unload them and move the units around without having to rebuild them.

I have a small workbench next to the man door on exterior wall with a window over it and a big vice that gets used a lot, The workbench is usually covered with stuff for some reason, so making it larger would just make it a larger pile of stuff not put away.

All welding/grinding hot work takes place outside: Welders are on wheels, I have a couple folding bumper stand type tables with small plywood tops that get used as work benches. I need a welder plug in the garage but make do with an extension cord to the dryer outlet on the far side of the house

One of the most used items in the shop is a heavy vice mounted on a heavy steel tripod. The legs have rubber feet cut from a tire and two of them have wheels, when you tip it back you can roll it around. This goes out in the driveway for grinding and such.

English wheel and such are on wheels and get moved when needed. Engine stand and hoist break down and go under a shelf when not being used. Press brake, tube bender also small enough to go under shelf when not in use.

At the possibility of starting a flame war, air tools are a holdover from the days when motors were expensive and shops ran on flat belts.
Now you can buy a $30 110v 4.5" grinder that will run all day, the air tool equivalent will need a 220v30 amp or more compressor running flat out to maybe keep up.
I use AC powered tools. No batteries to go south ( I have a shelf of NiMH powered tool$ that are dead). I can see if I made a living with these tools a few battery powered tools would be a must.
I have a small, reasonably quite 110v compressor for blowing and filling, very occasionally an air tool will get use with it.
leegreen is online now   Reply With Quote