The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2023, 01:14 PM   #851
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan K View Post
I am at the same point with my aftermarket steering column. I figured I would just drill and tap the column for a couple bolts. The holes drilled just fine but I have stripped out 3 taps so far. Not sure what kind of steel the column is made of but it sure is hard!
REALLY!?! that is amazing! Very interesting... how thick is the material you are drilling? I have drilled and tapped alot of metals and never had much issue unless there is a bind in the tap and material, as in two pieces of metal are mashed together and then as you tap it one starts to move and other does not and then they bind up, maybe? interesting though.... I was honestly going to try this exact same thing.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:15 PM   #852
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zden View Post
I wrapped my column with a piece of rubber about 2" long right where those holes are. After I tightened up the bracket its not going anywhere.
Another idea to consider... sounds like the easiest so far. lol
Old 01-05-2023, 01:17 PM   #853
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
That's real engineering, great work.
I can't help with the steering column. I'm sure you solve it.
Thank you sir. It has been some time to figure out but I really do not mind much. I like figuring out a solution to a problem and help others along the way if I can. Like alot of things, there are 100 different ways to make it work, finding the one that works for you me is the fun part. LOL
Old 01-05-2023, 02:46 PM   #854
pdxhall

I didn't use an aftermarket column but I did use a '71 Camaro tilt column and I modified the stock mount to hold the column. If you're interested the mod starts on post 528 on my build page.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 04:04 PM   #855
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I didn't use an aftermarket column but I did use a '71 Camaro tilt column and I modified the stock mount to hold the column. If you're interested the mod starts on post 528 on my build page.
Thank you sir! I just went and looked at your build, page 528. I like the idea. I am using the Clutch bump stop though, but your idea does give me another idea though. Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2023, 05:16 PM   #856
88Stanger

So here is a diagram of hose routing. Please do not laugh to hard at the drawung
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2023, 07:02 PM   #857
Arne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
The other thing to note is that you must reduce the pressure from the pump. Stock GM is 1200 to 1300 lbs and the typical rack wants 800. They sell what the call a ford pressure pump that is for GM, this has the reduced pressure or you can buy the reducing valve that installs into the pump. In my case though, I need the higher pressure for the Hydroboost, but then need to reduce it, so I had to buy the Heidts valve to be able to adjust he pressure to the rack as I like. It has been an adventure learning all this about the pump, hydorboost and a rack system .
You may want to look at the pressure info and specs again. The "typical" rack conversion that requires pressure reduction to ~800 psi is the old hot rodder favorite Pinto/Mustang II rack. The POL rack for our trucks is based on a mid-90's Dodge Dakota, and should be fine with the higher pressure. I emailed POL tech support and Erick confirmed that the higher pressure from the Saginaw-type pump was fine with their rack, no pressure reduction needed.

覧覧覧覧覧覧
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:02 PM   #858
SkinnyG

I bought the pressure reducer kit for my Hydroboost/Fox-Mustang-Rack install, but I'm going to run it as is first, to see whether it needs it or not. No point making more work for myself.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 01:12 PM   #859
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
You may want to look at the pressure info and specs again. The "typical" rack conversion that requires pressure reduction to ~800 psi is the old hot rodder favorite Pinto/Mustang II rack. The POL rack for our trucks is based on a mid-90's Dodge Dakota, and should be fine with the higher pressure. I emailed POL tech support and Erick confirmed that the higher pressure from the Saginaw-type pump was fine with their rack, no pressure reduction needed.
Oh damn, nice!! Then I can return the 135.00 valve to speedway!! lol

Again, thanks for the update. That helps too with routing!! You saved my butt Arne!!! thank you

Jeff
Old 01-09-2023, 12:21 PM   #860
88Stanger

Ok, so I got the steering rods, universal joints and heim joint installed, routed and completed, well for now until I do the tear down for paint. Once I got it worked out, it went together really nicely.
BUT Then I tried to fit the new Radiator support and new fenders onto the new inner fender wells. OH DAMN, the fitment sucked! The Rad support went on fairly easily at first... then after close inspection... ya not so well. There (as expected) alot of adjustments, cleaning burrs, hammer and dolly need, and such to get it to fit, but it really does fit now. The main issue was the damn lower Radiator support bushing! There was 1.5" gap where the two main rad. bolts and bushings sit! I bought the bushing mount kit for this and it was only about 1/2" thick, leaving 1" of open space, UNTIL I tried to install the fenders, and figured out that the inner fenders need some persuading.. But, after test fitting the old fender I found that most of the issue is with the inner fender, not outer fender. Anyways, after some slight adjustments with the inner fender... they all mounted up rather nicely and the Rad support bushing kit worked great... now! LOL
Old 01-19-2023, 10:57 AM   #861
88Stanger

Well I have some updates to post here tomorrow. Got the fenders finally mounted mostly, look great, had some alterations needed but all good now. With that said, the damn radiator... what a pain... lol not really but when you go from stock smaller in all dimensions to much bigger, aluminum 3 row .. the stock lower mounts will not work. So I just bent up my own, got them looking good just need to be powder coated and then rubber attached. With that said, I am working on getting the radiator top mount in from LMC and then start the power steering / Hydro-boost line routing and power steering pump reservoir mount figured out.

BUT in the mean time I got a new "toy" to play with, a 1940 Chevy Master 85 Coupe that is about as far from stock as possible (fits me... lol) It is on a full tube chassis, 383 stroker, turbo 400 manual valve body, narrowed for 9", ladder bars, wheelie bars and rear tires that are just crazy wide = 31"tall x 18.5" wide x 15"! Tires are Bias ply with tubes and NOT cheap!! LOL anyways, I will post pics here tomorrow.
My plan is to just get it up and running good to take to shows and continue on the "66. I just do not want to rush the "66 to finish... that never turns out well.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:18 AM   #862
Braunschweiger

Congratulations that it worked. Great model, the coupe.
Nice also the progress on your Truck.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:58 AM   #863
88Stanger

I apologize that this is not about the "66 it has a connection to it in that the reason i am not on it is because of this, the 1940 Chevy Coupe I got as a "Gift from God".
As mentioned before i am getting this running good and very drivable now so that i have a show/play rig while i am building the truck.
So anyways, i got to speak to the original builder of the car, Ronnie Vice in Alabama. The motor is a 383 cu in block .30 overbore, with Billet Splayed main caps, Eagle Steel Crank, Lunati Rods and Pistons, Hell Fire Rings, Victor Jr aluminum Heads and intake, Turbo 350 built to the teeth with shift kits and 3000 stall, Frod 9" Rear with 31 spline axles shortened and reinforced along with a Detroit Locker and 4.56 gears rotating 31"x18.5 x 15" DOT tires. He put more into the motor than i paid for the entire car he said. Unreal, but anyways, been working on the Brakes and such on it. I would post pics but not sure if that is ok to do here.
Old 02-13-2023, 01:11 PM   #864
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
I apologize that this is not about the "66 it has a connection to it in that the reason i am not on it is because of this, the 1940 Chevy Coupe I got as a "Gift from God".
As mentioned before i am getting this running good and very drivable now so that i have a show/play rig while i am building the truck.
So anyways, i got to speak to the original builder of the car, Ronnie Vice in Alabama. The motor is a 383 cu in block .30 overbore, with Billet Splayed main caps, Eagle Steel Crank, Lunati Rods and Pistons, Hell Fire Rings, Victor Jr aluminum Heads and intake, Turbo 350 built to the teeth with shift kits and 3000 stall, Frod 9" Rear with 31 spline axles shortened and reinforced along with a Detroit Locker and 4.56 gears rotating 31"x18.5 x 15" DOT tires. He put more into the motor than i paid for the entire car he said. Unreal, but anyways, been working on the Brakes and such on it. I would post pics but not sure if that is ok to do here.
It's your thread so your decision. If you're going to do a build (finish what was started) & want to post updates/info on it, there's always the Alternative Tinkering forum for other types of vehicles/projects.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 02:37 PM   #865
SkinnyG

I'm perfectly fine with a tantalizing pic now and then of whatever else you're working on other than the '66.

And you can't toy with us without leaving a tantalizing pic! (I mean, we're all "car guys" here...).
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 11:27 PM   #866
cwcarpenter98

I agree with both Scoti and SkinnyG. You're welcome to post up a couple pictures here, or if you would rather do a whole build thread, the Alternate Tinkerings section is just the place for a whole thread.

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 07:35 PM   #867
88Stanger

Just a couple pics of the 1940 Chevy Coupe I am playing around with as promised
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2023, 07:37 PM   #868
88Stanger

"Capone" as I call it, has a big "ole Butt... lol Almost done playing around with this one. As mentioned earlier, i am just getting this one running and then i will get back onto the truck.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:03 AM   #869
Braunschweiger

Capone is a cool old racing car, have fun with it.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:25 AM   #870
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
Capone is a cool old racing car, have fun with it.
Ya, always wanted that "old school" hot rod... Thanks