The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2021, 11:03 AM   #1
verdell

upper mount

Suspension guru's-

Can these OEM upper shock mounts on the rear of my Apache be relocated to the inside of the frame and used as rear upper coilover mounts? Pros/Cons?
Attached Images

verdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:40 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: upper mount

Technically yes they could be relocated & re-purposed. I would only do it if the bracket material is @ least frame thickness @ a minimum.
The relocation fab work needs to be done well to support the spring & shock load(s).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:27 AM   #3
verdell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Technically yes they could be relocated & re-purposed. I would only do it if the bracket material is @ least frame thickness @ a minimum.
The relocation fab work needs to be done well to support the spring & shock load(s).
Thanks, Scoti

The 60-62 OEM shock bracket is extremely stout so I'm pretty sure it'll do the job. I'm interested in a 20 x 12 rear wheel with a Mickey Thompson 6620 (nearly 15 inch section width) but it won't fit with the stock outboard shock configuration. The other alternative is to use a frame crossbar with shock tabs welded on. Just brainstorming for now. Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:38 PM   #4
kwmech

factory shocks mounts were not intended to support vehicle weight. With that being said I would fab up something different with a double shear
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:31 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
factory shocks mounts were not intended to support vehicle weight. With that being said I would fab up something different with a double shear
Respectfully.... From what I'm seeing in the pic that is a double shear set-up & the factory thickness on the early frames should be close to 3/16" material.
Correct me if I'm missing something.

Since he would be relocating them inboard, they shouldn't be attached like that exact OE arrangement any longer but could still possibly be made to work as needed if the material thickness is enough.

There's many a C/O mount/tabs out there @ .188" thick material. IMHO, it's prob easier to make something from scratch & upsize material to .250" but that wasn't the question he asked. I get that some guys like to repurpose things if/when possible.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:02 PM   #6
verdell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Stock 60-62 upper and lower shock mounts are double sheared from 3/16 thick material.