The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2023, 01:16 PM   #1
jeffahart

Re: Dana 44 Ring Gear Swap Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparralman1974 View Post

Welding on new spring perches and shock tabs will be no problem. My question now regards the pinion angle. As this is a stock truck, with no lift, when I move the spring perches on the 14 bolt, I plan to locate them (clock them) the same way that they are now. Will that work? Does anyone know if the pinion angle on the HO52 is the same as on the 14 bolt? I didn't think to check the angle of the HO52 pinion before I removed it from the truck frame.

Thanks, Clay
I think it would be close. But why not wait till you get the transfer case mounted and the front end sitting on tires and rear springs in. Then you will be able to dial it in. But my guess is the original location will be close but you will have to shim in either direction.

j
Old 02-02-2023, 03:34 PM   #2
Chaparralman1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
I think it would be close. But why not wait till you get the transfer case mounted and the front end sitting on tires and rear springs in. Then you will be able to dial it in. But my guess is the original location will be close but you will have to shim in either direction.

j
I actually decided to just stay with the HO52. It was working, and the only real reason I was thinking of going to the 14 bolt was to have 4.11's front and rear, but the 4.56's will be fine for me. This is just going to be a cruiser to go and get ice cream from time to time and not a daily driver. Also, it will set me in a good place if I do ever decide to lift it and go with bigger tires.

I actually found a couple of 1971/72 Eaton HO52/72 hubs that accept 9/16" studs, so I think that I am going to do the 14 bolt brake mod to the HO52 so that I have larger and more modern brakes. That really gets me the both of best worlds. I am going to just sell the 14 bolt axle.

Clay
Build Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841272
Chaparralman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:30 PM   #3
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparralman1974 View Post
I actually decided to just stay with the HO52. It was working, and the only real reason I was thinking of going to the 14 bolt was to have 4.11's front and rear, but the 4.56's will be fine for me. This is just going to be a cruiser to go and get ice cream from time to time and not a daily driver. Also, it will set me in a good place if I do ever decide to lift it and go with bigger tires.

I actually found a couple of 1971/72 Eaton HO52/72 hubs that accept 9/16" studs, so I think that I am going to do the 14 bolt brake mod to the HO52 so that I have larger and more modern brakes. That really gets me the both of best worlds. I am going to just sell the 14 bolt axle.

Clay
I purchased my axles as take offs from a military ambulance. They come with 4.56 gears. I got the 14bolt(which was a SRW one ton, so it bolted right in no perch issues) along with the front Dana60. If I had found a good post 1970 44 or 60 on their own I would still be running the eaton. I liked the eaton... but I don't miss it.

I am running 33"s on my truck with 4.56s. It's fine for around town. I occasionally take it on the freeways for short distances out of convenience, the harmonics get pretty loud. I'm running some Hankook tires that are really loud too, I hate them. Plus my truck is a bit of a rattler anyway.

If you do the cheapest way for a straight line now... you can always swap stuff out later; no harm no foul, just a bit of elbow grease.

j