The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
ProStreet68SB
The Engine Whisperer

Talking 454 Nitrous/Bracket Engine

I recently picked up my first Big Block. Little background as to why I picked up the engine. I'm currently a student at the University of Northwestern Ohio, and in a recent class I was giving the opportunity to get grade for going through a engine of my own. Knowing where this motor was, I picked it up and proceeded to tear it down. Onto the engine itself:

I bought it with a wiped camshaft (hydraulic flat tappet doesnt work well with springs meant for a solid roller). The motor had 10 hours on it (out of a boat, and before that a truck).
Had a 10qt oil pan, Scat 9000 series crank, Scat Pro-Comp forged rods(press fit), and lastly Silv-O-Lite hyper pistons.
The motor is stock bore and will most likely stay there, as I have a good bit before I'm out of spec.
The rods are currently at watson-ruppel performance, being converted to a full floating set up, as well as having ARP wave-loc bolts put in.

Sorry for the long intro there, onto to hopefully the good stuff.

Since I'm running stock bore, my choice in pistons are limited. I've been looking at ICON. Does anyone know anything about them? I'm looking to end up right around 11:1, something still 93 friendly.

Cylinder heads! This is going to be a touchy topic, looking at running a low cost set of Al. Heads. Yes, I'm looking at patriot heads and Pro Comp. I'd be buying a complete set, but still going through them to make sure everything is up to par.

Nitrous. I plan on spraying 100-125 on a regular basis, with the option to go all the way up to 200 to have some real fun. Probably will be running a plate. Is there anything wrong with running a plate on a dual plane intake?

Thanks in advance everyone. Sorry for how much there is to read, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible here. Also if any of the builders out there want to send me little tips and tricks for horsepower that the avg public might not know about, that would be greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Nickey.
ProStreet68SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
shortbed70

Re: 454 Nitrous/Bracket Engine

Icon pistons are a Keith black piston so try need to be fit too the bore. They are very close to the same size out of the box just depends on the bores really. Be sure to file fit your rings for nitrous use!!!
For heads, contrary to some people there is nothing wrong with patriot heads... Check my latest post in my thread, I run them!
As for the juice be sure to take out 4* for every 100 hp hit...

If it were me and I've been told this alot, you really don't need a duel plane intake on a bbc and if your giving it a shot single would be the way to go.

Do your research on cam and head combos..
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Nickey , do yourself a favor and consider a 'real' piston. The SRP line from JE is a great piece for the $ minded racer. Mahle has a nice offering out with skirt coatings for a fair price,, but myself I wouldn't run a KB in any motor I was investing much money or effort in to. I've had nothing but bad luck from the KBs in size and service.

just my 2¢

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
shawnt

X2 on what Marv said about the KB pistons. I would go with JE/SRP also as a $ friendly option.

The patriot heads are not that bad, I know some people like them. If you do get them have your machine shop or whomever you choose go through them and make sure they are up to task. Just cheap insurance
Best so far with 0 tuning

Lesson in life: Never fry bacon naked!
shawnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
ProStreet68SB
The Engine Whisperer

My dads motor is currently running KB FHR pistons with no issue. And our engine builder has been running them since Speed Pro went down the toilet in quality about 5 years ago.

But I will also look at SRP/JE. Hoping to get some where 11:1 and run pump gas.

Does anyone see an issue with running pump gas and 200 shot of spray?
Or should I have a separate fuel system for the nitrous and use mix race gas when I'm spraying?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
turbo350

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnt View Post
X2 on what Marv said about the KB pistons. I would go with JE/SRP also as a $ friendly option.

The patriot heads are not that bad, I know some people like them. If you do get them have your machine shop or whomever you choose go through them and make sure they are up to task. Just cheap insurance
x3 on the KB's. My uncle had two that failed in a N/A 350 a few years ago.
turbo350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
ProStreet68SB
The Engine Whisperer

Guys with the failing KB pistons, have they been the Forged pistons or the Hypers?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreet68SB View Post
Does anyone see an issue with running pump gas and 200 shot of spray?
Or should I have a separate fuel system for the nitrous and use mix race gas when I'm spraying?
I wouldn't spray 200 with pump fuel, but that's just me. A standalone fuel system is a good investment and will give you an extra bit of detonation resistance if you're going to do a lot of playing with nitrous, that's how I set up my camaro. I run c16 in the standalone and 91 in the main tank for a 200 shot. Any bigger shot than than and it's all c16.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote