The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #1
Zach079xxx

Auto detailing business?

Hey guys, I'm not used to being on this side of the fence. I'm into the 73-87 forums! Currently I'm in school but thinking after my course is over to take a local collision repair class. My grandfather sold GM for years, got my father into it, and I grew up into it as well. We sold our chevy dealership in 2006 and i've dreaded it ever since. I wish I was older at the time, but life goes on.

Being that I was raised in cars and trucks all my life until my teens, now that I'm an "adult" I would like to get back into it, not selling cars but repairing and detailing. I need some tips and advice. I have a few good buddies that could really help this business idea take off and go great. Couple years ago when I got my first square, it made me fall in love with learning how to fix it up and make it look nice. The course is 2 years long, the first year is dedicated to learning to mask, body work, paint, detail, ect. The second year gets deep into estimates and that sort of thing.

If I go down that pathway, after completing the class I would like to open a business. I want a shop with a paint booth, room to work on vehicles, and also space for detailing cars exterior and interior.

Is this a business to get into? If this takes off, it would benefit my family and myself. My father is retired, and has a HUGE background in selling cars, as well as part ordering. My mother is working full time and can do accounting like no other.

What I have questions about is what is a good paint supplier? A good supplier of cleaners for detailing? What brands of paint guns and tools to go with? I am willing to give this everything I have and work my butt off to make this work.

Most likely I will be building a shop beside my house. The building where our dealership was is right beside my house as well. The showroom was converted to a funeral home but the shop where the lifts were etc is still the same. Don't see that working out, so I planning to build to my needs. It is up for sale currently, but it doesn't fit my needs and he's asking an arm and a leg! I was figuring on a 75 x 125 building with a 25 foot carport over the front area to keep cars out of the elements if needed. What is your views on this? Any help is appreciated
Thumpin' away
Zach079xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #2
hjewell2

Re: Auto detailing business?

I would say go with it You have the right thinking with the knowledge from your father. your father ca tell you also if the area will support the need.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote