The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2021, 08:55 PM   #1
SCOTI

Re: Flat-Out Engineering front end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedred View Post
Yeah, I liked the truck overall. Just me being me thinking I could do it cheaper LOL. Then I saw Dustin Reeds truck, also on the same YouTube channel. He run the Flat Out setup in the front. His engine is setback 10”. I am trying to keep from that if possible.
10" set-back sounds like a "Well.... If we're going through the trouble of moving the engine...." scenario which is similar to the 'while we're in there, might as well' logic.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:21 PM   #2
wickedred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
10" set-back sounds like a "Well.... If we're going through the trouble of moving the engine...." scenario which is similar to the 'while we're in there, might as well' logic.
Exactly. If it comes to that I will order one piece bent frame rails and build my own chassis. It’s nothing new. Just wanted to be lazy. I looked at the G-Comp front suspension from Speedway today during my hours of boredom at work. $2k for the universal front clip.

1971 C10. Auto Cross/Pro Touring Build. Project : I am gonna go broke with this one.

1970 Chevy LWB 4x4. 355, 4spd, Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear, 35x12.50 tires... STOLEN

I will put a Turbo on anything with an engine if the $$$ is right. Once upon a time....
wickedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:31 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedred View Post
Exactly. If it comes to that I will order one piece bent frame rails and build my own chassis. It’s nothing new. Just wanted to be lazy. I looked at the G-Comp front suspension from Speedway today during my hours of boredom at work. $2k for the universal front clip.
Yep. I've checked them out recently as well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:41 AM   #4
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I thought he did it simply to lower the center of gravity and shift the weight bias more toward the rear. He made is sound like he had to do it, but moving the front suspension back didn't really do anything either.

Whatever people want I guess. My truck is just a cruiser. I didn't expect to have to re-engineer the whole chassis to make the front end work. The Gen 5 engine was going to be hard enough to make work.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:07 AM   #5
wickedred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
I thought he did it simply to lower the center of gravity and shift the weight bias more toward the rear. He made is sound like he had to do it, but moving the front suspension back didn't really do anything either.

Whatever people want I guess. My truck is just a cruiser. I didn't expect to have to re-engineer the whole chassis to make the front end work. The Gen 5 engine was going to be hard enough to make work.
Pretty sure he had a SBC in there before, not 100% sure. He stated in the video that when he switched the LS engine he had to set the engine back. Once again I am not 100% sure. When I talked to Don on FB messenger and on the phone he said it wasn't required.

My biggest kick with my truck is not wanting the engine sitting up high in the engine bay. That alone make pinion angles an nightmare.

At the end of the day I will do what is needed to make it work. I will document it all with pics and video. Hopefully once I get started on it I will find it is a suitable combination.

1971 C10. Auto Cross/Pro Touring Build. Project : I am gonna go broke with this one.

1970 Chevy LWB 4x4. 355, 4spd, Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear, 35x12.50 tires... STOLEN

I will put a Turbo on anything with an engine if the $$$ is right. Once upon a time....
wickedred is offline   Reply With Quote