The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Bierkan

Is there a difference between a car and truck sunvisor?

I have an opportunity to pick up a visor, but I'm not sure if it will fit my 50 AD or not. He says it came off a car, and it looks like all the parts are there. What should I look for?

1950 3100 on a 1972 C10 Chassis

Truck Blog

Motorcycle Blog
Bierkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Is there a difference between a car and truck sunvisor?

Quite a bit I would think. Back in the late 50's and the 60's the first thing a guy did when he bought a car or truck with one of those hideous thing on it was pull it off and throw it in the junk before anyone of his friends caught him driving the rig with it on it. Unless you were into coon tails, mud flaps and chrome doodads from Western Auto that is.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
alaska gasser

Look at the end of my build thread. I don't know what mine came off of as I bought it off EBAY. I think it looks good and I didn't pay $500 as a truck only visor costs.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592769 My daughter's '46 International PU
alaska gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Quite a bit I would think. Back in the late 50's and the 60's the first thing a guy did when he bought a car or truck with one of those hideous thing on it was pull it off and throw it in the junk before anyone of his friends caught him driving the rig with it on it. Unless you were into coon tails, mud flaps and chrome doodads from Western Auto that is.
Geez dude, don't hold back. Share your opinion and judgement with everyone! Lol.

The OP said he has an "opportunity". That means he wants it. Which also means he likely didn't want you to tell him they are "hideous", belong on a junk pile, or liken them to "doodads" from Western Auto!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
G&R's57GMC

Yah, what Dan said.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Russell Ashley

He said "back in the 50's and 60's" guy's. It was more common to remove trim back then than to add it. I took it that MR48 was saying be sure it has all of the attaching brackets as they got thrown away.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
He said "back in the 50's and 60's" guy's. It was more common to remove trim back then than to add it. I took it that MR48 was saying be sure it has all of the attaching brackets as they got thrown away.
Yep, there were two kinds of "customizers" in the 50's and 60's. The guys who slicked their rigs out by removing the excess trim and making them smooth and slick and sleek and those who went down to Western Auto and bought every chrome doodad or ordered the trinkets from JC Whitney along with extra lights and what ever else they could stick on their cars. They are the ones who still ran the visors. They were the same breed of cat that now goes to Autozone and buys the stick on port holes or vents and flame decals and tacky rear spoilers.

I'm 67 years old and grew up in an era when the majority of guys wanted clean scab free custom vehicles and yes I still don't get why guys want to tack a bunch of clutter on their trucks in the name of customizing.

A friend of mine has a shop named "Chrome" that sells chrome trinkets and lights to guys with Semi trucks by the case and does quite well at it. So maybe that is the line of thinking that guys who want all this stuff on their small trucks are following.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Rude Dude

In reply to your original question the car visors is narrower that the truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierkan View Post
I have an opportunity to pick up a visor, but I'm not sure if it will fit my 50 AD or not. He says it came off a car, and it looks like all the parts are there. What should I look for?
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
youngrodder

Bierkan-

Not sure about the dimensions being different from a car vs. a truck. I have a friend that has a fulton visor that he just pulled off of a 49 Chevy car. I could grab you some dimensions to compare if it would help.

Good luck
Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Dan in Pasadena

My comments were a more inline with, "...if you don't have anything nice to say..."

We all have opinions - which is great for our own trucks. But I try not to talk down another man's ride/taste unless he posts that we WANTS opinions. Not trying to troll, just suggeting we try to be a bit more civil. Believe me, there are plenty of times when I'm not. I'm no example, just saying.

PS: I'm 59. I remember most of the same stuff you do. I remember Western Auto well, and from a child's point of view? With nostalgia!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
G&R's57GMC

What Dan said also.

Yep, had my eye on a Radio Flyer Wagon and Santa brought it one winter night in 1953.

I remember it well, the sound of hoofs and sleigh landing on our new Mid Century flat roof. Got lots of FUN with it for years.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
mr48chev

Alright I've been admonished for telling it like it was in the old days and wondering why they are the hot lick now.

One thing, if you do add one do the whole package with white walls and hub caps and leave every piece of stock chrome on the truck then lower it evenly or just a tad lower in the back with the same size tires all around. I've seen them stuck on about everything lately including an AD truck that was chopped abut 5 inches and another truck that had 22's on it and things just didn't jive on those.

One of my two best friends loves those things and I give him a ration every time he brings up putting one on something including putting a fiberglass one on his lifted Chevy 4x4.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #13
alaska gasser

Wow...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592769 My daughter's '46 International PU
Old 09-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #14
wood1

To try and help you with your question... Any pictures???

What kind of visor is it?? Is it adjustable in the center?? Does it have the center support?? There are different types as you may know, maybe post a picture.
You see a lot of the Fulton models on AD trucks. Check the measurements, and type of visor and go from there. More than likely if it has an adjustable center and center(windshield) support it should work.

Do what YOU want to YOUR truck.....
wood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
youngrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Alright I've been admonished for telling it like it was in the old days and wondering why they are the hot lick now.

One thing, if you do add one do the whole package with white walls and hub caps and leave every piece of stock chrome on the truck then lower it evenly or just a tad lower in the back with the same size tires all around. I've seen them stuck on about everything lately including an AD truck that was chopped abut 5 inches and another truck that had 22's on it and things just didn't jive on those.

One of my two best friends loves those things and I give him a ration every time he brings up putting one on something including putting a fiberglass one on his lifted Chevy 4x4.
Mr48Chev

Please stop while you are behind. You just don't get it. Each post of yours on this subject is more offending than the last. after (3) posts we are all clear that you dont care for these visors. Move on already.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
Root2812

Bierkan, Look at my thread too. I have the correct visor for the split window AD. It may give you a few ideas what to look for. I found mine on craigslist for $90 from someone who wanted it out of the garage. Deals can be had on them and you won't have to buy an aftermarket for $500.

On another note, I think I better head to this western auto! Each of MR48Chev's posts made me laugh because I have the visor, I found the chrome grill guard, I'm trying to find the stainless fender stripes, I have chrome mirrors, chrome tail lights and brackets, chrome grill, all the factory stainless trims, I want the hood ornament, I want the hood stainless strip, I'm going with the side mounted spare tire, chrome cowl radio antenna, chrome wheel covers, white walls, same tire size all around, and stainless bed strips. Did I forget anything?

Yeah I'm one of those guys who wants every possible accessory there is. I'm even contemplating using the swamp cooler instead of an AC unit.

Visors Rock!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
wood1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root2812 View Post
Bierkan, Look at my thread too. I have the correct visor for the split window AD. It may give you a few ideas what to look for. I found mine on craigslist for $90 from someone who wanted it out of the garage. Deals can be had on them and you won't have to buy an aftermarket for $500.

On another note, I think I better head to this western auto! Each of MR48Chev's posts made me laugh because I have the visor, I found the chrome grill guard, I'm trying to find the stainless fender stripes, I have chrome mirrors, chrome tail lights and brackets, chrome grill, all the factory stainless trims, I want the hood ornament, I want the hood stainless strip, I'm going with the side mounted spare tire, chrome cowl radio antenna, chrome wheel covers, white walls, same tire size all around, and stainless bed strips. Did I forget anything?

Yeah I'm one of those guys who wants every possible accessory there is. I'm even contemplating using the swamp cooler instead of an AC unit.

Visors Rock!
Now that's Minnesota Nice!!
You forgot some accessories, the traffic light viewer, compass, tissue dispenser, column fan, license plate topper, backup light, etc!!!

And thank you for giving an answer to the original posted question....

Last edited by wood1; 09-27-2013 at 09:59 PM.
wood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
Highsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood1 View Post
Now that's Minnesota Nice!!
You forgot an accessory, the traffic light viewer!!!

And thank you for giving an answer to the original posted question....
The viewers are still in current catalogs. Saw it the other day.
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #19
solidaxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierkan View Post
Never seen one up close, so I guess I can't help much!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #20
Atomsplitter

I have a visor from a 49-52 Cadillac tha has a cast Zinc conter support. The car visors are narrower as an earlier post had mentioned. I fabbed up some visor mounts to attach it to the rain gutter instead of putting screws through the cab as some have done to make them fit.

Here's a link to all those options (with GM part #s) that Mr.48chevy thinks are stupid.... sorry he referred to these items as "scabs" and "clutter", my bad! I guess at 67 he's just showing that he's just an opinionated old fool that can't see that there's more to life than what he grew up with back in the school yard and the manners to boot. My suggestion would be for him to grow up and/or shut up! You guys are too nice when it comes to a-holes on the forum that, more often than not, try to upset the light-heartedness, comradery and helpfullness we usually find here.

Here you go:
http://53truck.ez15loan.com/howto/accessories01.htm
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
Bierkan

Guys, thanks for all the information. I was looking at picking one up at the Lambrecht auction Saturday, but, damn, all that crap was going for way too much money. I stuck around until they got to the parts, but saw even that was going for big bucks.

I appreciate all the opinions, even those who don't agree with mine. I can see your point, MR48CHEV, really, I do. The vision I have for my truck doesn't involve lots of chrome and doodads. I would, however, like to keep the sun out of my eyes. That was my thinking.

There are plenty out there and the NOS ones (with brackets) I was looking at would be wasted on my bastardized truck. They need to go on ones that are more show-worthy.

1950 3100 on a 1972 C10 Chassis

Truck Blog

Motorcycle Blog
Bierkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #22
alaska gasser

Bierkan- The one I have on my truck is adjustable. It is at the narrowest setting now and can stretch out about 6 or so inches further. Any of the visors you look at with the center section like mine will do this. I really like the look of having a visor and when I put one on my '52 Chev panel years ago my wife said it was the finishing touch as it didn't look bald anymore.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

From various sources that sell repop and NOS Fulton visors they fit 48 - 53 car and truck with 2 piece windshield . Some earlier down to 38 and as stated some are adjustable. Can't say if they are all adjustable but mine is and its old as dirt not purchased in the lats 30 year.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote