The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #126
chipflyer

Re: LS factory cruise control hook up

My vss wire was green/white. I found this link helpfully and it was correct for my 2002 Yukon 5.3.

http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2009/...e-control.html

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #127
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

My vss wire is green/ white also. But it also goes to a yellow wire which goes to speedo. I'll check voltage there. Thanks.

66 Chevelle Malibu 406ci, 573hp, 10.99@121mph
96 Chevy Silverado Z71
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom LS 6.0/4L65 on airride

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/707879...mc-c-k-pick-up
chevydog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #128
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydog66 View Post
My cruise control quit working. Everything seems to be getting power and wired correctly by using a test light. 1 question, the yellow vss wire, should that have 12v power when using a test light?
So it was working and now it doesnt? What exactly is your set up? I cant remember what everyone is using off the top of my head, my memory isnt what it used to be.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #129
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

01 6.0 dbc 4L65 trans with your cruise control/turn signal stalk. I have the control module from a 01 or 02 truck. Autometer digital speedo. I checked most of the wiring and it checks out ok. It was working a couple weeks ago.

96 Chevy Silverado Z71

Old 07-07-2014, 03:19 AM   #130
ls1nova71

If it was working a few weeks ago, then I would think it was wired right.. both your speedo and brake lights are currently working, correct? If so, then try lightly tapping on the cruise module with a small hammer and then try it again, ivr seen modules stick or go bad and tapping on them will sometimes get them to work again. If it fixes it, youll need to get a new cruise module. If not, ill have you test the switch, so let me know how that goes.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #131
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

I tapped on it and now it works. Looks like a trip to junkyard for me. What years am I looking for again for a replacement? And while we're at it can u explain how to test the switch? Thanks much.

96 Chevy Silverado Z71

Old 07-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #132
ls1nova71

I would be looking for a '99-'02 truck cruise module since it would be a direct replacement. Full size vans from '03-'07 will have them too. Astro vans and S10's may be more plentiful though, but you may have to change the end that hooks to the throttle body.

As for checking the switch, you would need a test light, a battery and some wire to test it at the end that plugs into the pigtail. Basically what you would be doing is hooking power to one of the terminals and the test light to another and then going through the switches to make sure they work (light comes on). I have a pigtail wired up with three light bulbs that I use to test them when I get done putting them together, but that's probably more hassle to go through to just test one switch.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #133
Smurfeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbrnr View Post
What does it take to get cruise working on a GenIV?
Did anyone get around to answering this? 2008 5.3 LH6 4L60e Gen 4.. I don't want to use the stalk.. I was going to make a remote panel for controlling the cruise control, with some Momentary closed pushers. Anyone with a GEN4 do this yet? or did you use the stalk? Either or I need cruise.. I have a 5000km trip coming up in a couple months and lets face it.. Cruise is god on that long of a trip! Thanks in advance guys!
Smurfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #134
Mayfield

I have a 06 5.3 4l60e DBW going in to a 85 c10. My harness was done by speartech. I'm confident that I have the wiring correct. But wanted to double check.
Harness from truck that had factory cruise ( 4 wire).
Grey
Blue
Pink
Green
Wires coming from harness
Grey- cruise on/off
Grey/black- cruise resume/accel
Blue- cruise cntrl set/coast
Lt blue- cruise cntrl normally open brake switch

Truck/ TAC module
Grey to grey
Blue to blue
Pink - ingnition, leave alone. Verified 12v
Green to grey/black
This seems correct to me, other than wiring up for the brake switch.
Can someone verify this for me?
Also, I'm running dakota digital vhx gauges. It requires a ground signal to activate the cruise indicator light.
Can I tap off the blue wire cruise set/coast for a ground signal?
Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #135
ls1nova71

Your wiring seems to be correct. But as for the ground to activate the cruise on indicator, I don't think it will work by tapping directly into that wire since it isn't a ground, it is a momentary 12v. I would think you may be able to use it to run a relay to reverse the power to a ground, but you will have to double check to make sure.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #136
Mayfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Your wiring seems to be correct. But as for the ground to activate the cruise on indicator, I don't think it will work by tapping directly into that wire since it isn't a ground, it is a momentary 12v. I would think you may be able to use it to run a relay to reverse the power to a ground, but you will have to double check to make sure.
Thanks for the response.
If I tap in to the set cruise cntrl wire, then run that through a relay for a ground signal, would that provide a constant ground signal to the light indicator even though it's a momentary switch?

I think of it this way. In my newer truck, I always leave the cruise switch in the "on" position. Then when I press ( set cruise) I get the indicator light. Not sure how it's all tied in.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:12 AM   #137
ls1nova71

If you tap into that wire even using a relay, its only going to give a momentary ground. Does the DD gauge set up need a constant? Or will a momentary work? I would check that out. Your newer truck the cruise on light is controlled by the instrument cluster via a ser ial data line, so its hard to make a light function correctly.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #138
Mayfield

Yes, you are correct. I checked the cruise stalk last night & it's a 12v signal on every switch. I was able to get the cruise indicator light come on by just running a ground wire to it, but it has to be a continues ground signal in order for the light to stay on. So there goes the idea of using the momentary push button.

I guess my only option is to use a relay for a ground signal from the on/off switch. I did email speartech, to see if I had any other options, but I have not heard back from him. If I do, I will post the answer.
Thanks ls1nova, you have been a big help.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #139
socorob

What do you think the amp ratings of the accel and decel switches would need to be if using pushbutton switches? I found some small push buttons I would like to use, but they are only rated at 3 amps. If that's not enough, I could use those to activate relays to accomplish what the switches can't handle.
socorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #140
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by socorob View Post
What do you think the amp ratings of the accel and decel switches would need to be if using pushbutton switches? I found some small push buttons I would like to use, but they are only rated at 3 amps. If that's not enough, I could use those to activate relays to accomplish what the switches can't handle.
I would think they would work. The factory switches, although I have no idea of the amp rating on them, are very small. I would think relays youre planning to use would draw the same ammout of amps as the cruise module.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:48 PM   #141
aknovaman

Testing Gen IV DBW cruise this week on my buddies e38 ecu 6.0L 4L60e jeep swap. I am using a 2007 suburban BCM and precision 20 turn pots to set the resistance values needed to simulate the steering wheel resistors. It only takes two wires from the BCM to the resistors. As of right now we are using mini 3 amp momentary toggle switches. There is almost zero current flow through any of the gm switches. More info to follow.
aknovaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:32 AM   #142
Xeen

I have a 2003 Vortec DBW and I have a stand alone PSI harness that is a 3-wire cruise.
Grey - cruise On/Off
Dk Blue - cruise Set/Coast
Black - cruise Resume/Accel

I purchased a Dakota Digital cruise control handle (HND-3) which I believe is a 4-wire before I did any research (I know that's not smart) If it won't work for my application I will just sell it here on the board.

If my Dakota Digital cruise control handle won't work or it would be a lot easier to just get a different cruise control handle which one do I need to get to make it work?
I will be installing this into a 1971 GM truck tilt.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by Xeen; 08-15-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:46 AM   #143
Dubnova

Spankysrodshop.com Try these guys. I just ordered on for my LS3 (it's not running yet) they came recommended by a forum member and Dakota Digital. It's a plug in kinda deal and it's dang sure not cheap.
Dubnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #144
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnova View Post
Spankysrodshop.com Try these guys. I just ordered on for my LS3 (it's not running yet) they came recommended by a forum member and Dakota Digital. It's a plug in kinda deal and it's dang sure not cheap.
I was thinking more along the lines of going to a salvage yard and getting a cruise control handle that will bolt right in.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #145
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of going to a salvage yard and getting a cruise control handle that will bolt right in.
You can use a couple of relays to reverse the switches from normally closed to normally open, but if you dont want to do that, there is only one application that will both work and be a bolt on deal, but they are very hard to find these days. If you're junkyarding though, look for one off a 83-84 Chevy truck, without the wipers on the column. They bolt on and are 4 wire switches. If you cant find that, 81 Chevy vans use the same lever and you can change the swithc inside to a 4 wire. 81-82 trucks have them too. I also have some redone levers from time to time that are already converted and repainted and have new lettering on them so they look new. You would have to PM me about availablity.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #146
BlueJeep

Quote:
I would be looking for a '99-'02 truck cruise module since it would be a direct replacement. Full size vans from '03-'07 will have them too. Astro vans and S10's may be more plentiful though, but you may have to change the end that hooks to the throttle body.
First of all, thank you for all the wonderful info!

Do you happen to know if the cable coming out of the cruise control module is the same length for all applications? I'm wondering if there are shorter options than the 99-02 ones.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #147
Xeen

Quote:
You can use a couple of relays to reverse the switches from normally closed to normally open, but if you dont want to do that, there is only one application that will both work and be a bolt on deal, but they are very hard to find these days. If you're junkyarding though, look for one off a 83-84 Chevy truck, without the wipers on the column. They bolt on and are 4 wire switches. If you cant find that, 81 Chevy vans use the same lever and you can change the swithc inside to a 4 wire. 81-82 trucks have them too. I also have some redone levers from time to time that are already converted and repainted and have new lettering on them so they look new. You would have to PM me about availablity.
Thank you very much for the information Sir I appreciate it.
It's guys like you that make this board what it is and keep me coming back here.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #148
Casaba

I know this is an old thread but I need to ask a question. Will that servo-motor unit work with the 2k vss from my 87 k5?
My truck was TBI but that was all removed for a 383 with carb. I have most of the old vacuum servo parts but can't find an engine bracket and I have to modify it anyway since I'm running the tvmadeez plate with a speed demon carb.

I picked up the electro-motor unit at the pullapart and would like to make it work but would like to avoid buying the VSS adapter from jtr to keep my mechanical speedo unless it's needed.

Not sure about this unit but with no ECM, isn't it just keeping the throttle at a match for the signals it gets from the VSS?

Thoughts?
Casaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:59 AM   #149
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casaba View Post
I know this is an old thread but I need to ask a question. Will that servo-motor unit work with the 2k vss from my 87 k5?
My truck was TBI but that was all removed for a 383 with carb. I have most of the old vacuum servo parts but can't find an engine bracket and I have to modify it anyway since I'm running the tvmadeez plate with a speed demon carb.

I picked up the electro-motor unit at the pullapart and would like to make it work but would like to avoid buying the VSS adapter from jtr to keep my mechanical speedo unless it's needed.

Not sure about this unit but with no ECM, isn't it just keeping the throttle at a match for the signals it gets from the VSS?

Thoughts?
I dont think it will work with what you have. Just putting a VSS in andntrying to run it straight to the cruise most likely isnt going to be the correct signal. The PCM takes the VSS pulses and converts it to a different signal if im not mistaken, but I could be wrong.

If you have the factory cruise, it seems like it would be just as easy to adapt to your carb as the newer cruise module since they both will need to be modified to work.

But if you try it, post back and let us know if it worked.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #150
Casaba

I tried a crude test but will have to make up a better wiring harness. Per the AC delco manuals on both systems, the older vacuum system used the 2k square wave pulse and the servo-motor uses 4k sine wave and the PCM converts it to 4k square so it's twice he signal.

Theoretically what I wonder is if the module will simply match pulses or if it in fact would think I'm running 12MPH at the minimum 25MPH to activate the cruise.

I will play around with it. The reason for wanting the newer is because I have no room for the vacuum servo and can mount the cable system on the wheel well. I know there are cable set ups for the vacuum as well but not sure what years and car to look for a donor cable setup with bracket
Casaba is offline   Reply With Quote