The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
Root2812

Pre-LS swap questions

Hey guys. I just have a few questions that I couldn't find answers for that I'd like to ask you all about. My project is a 1950 chevy 3100 and I want an LS engine for a few reasons. The first is for the reliability and (call me what you want) I like the look of the ls1/ls6 intakes with fuel rail covers. I will buy either a 4.8 or a 5.3 depending on the deal I find but I plan on using the car intake manifold strictly for the appearance. I see a lot of guys say to stay clear of the ls1 intake and get the ls6 but with the higher cost is it something I need to do? What are the benefits and will I really notice? I think the HP of the stock 4.8 will be plenty for what I want to do. I might pull a small trailer but mostly just cruise.

The 1950 has clearance issues so I know I need the car oil pan and exhaust manifolds but I have also heard that the truck accessory's won't fit. If I swap to either corvette or Camaro accessory brackets how many brackets are there? I can't seem to tell the parts apart enough to count them on any of the pictures I have seen.

Is it even possible to use a stock temp gauge or oil pressure gauge?

Last, I have a free 700r4 from a 1985 Impala (had a 305) and a free rear end with 3.73 gears. If I go with an ls motor can I use the stock torque converter or do I need a different one? I don't plan on racing or doing burnouts, just cruising, car shows, and towing a small to mid sized camper.

I appreciate any replys to any of my noobie questions. I saw I wrote a novel trying to give as much info as I could so I bolded the questions so they stick out.