The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
rhdowns

Re: Questions about 86 truck not starting.

I agree with the grease on the end of the rod that does help it if you don't have someone to hold it up in there when putting the fuel pump on. Did that when I put mine on as well.

You do not have to buy a new rod but that rod which is hardened steel rubs against a cam shaft for tens of thousands of miles. I replaced mine it was cheap probably more important for me as mine was going against a new camshaft.

I got the fittings for that pump at advanced auto for a couple dollars. I agree go whatever the cheapest route is for you specially if you do not have a trimmed out motor and no plans for that.

Didn't realize you had two tanks. My truck only has one so definitely explore that route as well.

Great feedback here - really enjoy this board.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhdowns View Post
I agree with the grease on the end of the rod that does help it if you don't have someone to hold it up in there when putting the fuel pump on. Did that when I put mine on as well.

You do not have to buy a new rod but that rod which is hardened steel rubs against a cam shaft for tens of thousands of miles. I replaced mine it was cheap probably more important for me as mine was going against a new camshaft.

I got the fittings for that pump at advanced auto for a couple dollars. I agree go whatever the cheapest route is for you specially if you do not have a trimmed out motor and no plans for that.

Didn't realize you had two tanks. My truck only has one so definitely explore that route as well.

Great feedback here - really enjoy this board.
Don't take my previous response as disrespect to your opinion. There are reasons to change a pushrod as you pointed out. But, this guy is struggling to swap a fuel pump on his truck. I felt no need to further complicate the matter for him.

On the fuel pump, a decent Carter brand or equivalent at the local parts store will run 20 bucks or so and will have all the proper hose and line fittings all pointed in the right direction for his feed, vent, and outlet connections. It will be a remove and replace job. That fancy one is not going to be easy for him to get installed and hooked up on his truck since it's universal and has no fittings on it.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Mrtn15

That's exactly what I want.. quick and easy! And i was hoping that a new shiny one would be as easy to install as a stock one. I do have edelbrock valve covers carb and 14" cleaner and im soon getting the intake. and timing chain cover. So, I do want the chrome pump, but if it's that much trouble.. I don't really care! I just want to drive my truck again.. and I don't even know how to Change the pump. I will figure it out.