The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2011, 03:48 AM   #1
joedirt

1970 Chevy 3/4

Hey all, I am starting to restore my newest addition to the family. I am seeking some help with taking off the "original" dash and replacing with a "new' one. I've got all the screws out and I have removed the dash knob bezels. I don't know how to remove the headlight and wiper knobs without breaking them. I have a feeling when I get the threaded washer out I will figure it out and feel like an idiot.

Also I have replaced the original fuel tank that leaked like a sieve with what I think is a 71-72 tank. It has the EEC by the filler neck. My question is what is the spout on the other end of the tank for? I assume it's some sort of vent as well. Do I need to do anything else as far as ventilation for the tank goes? I am getting the newer tank cleaned and resealed before I reinstall it. The reason is the fuel filter had lots of rust in it I assume from the 41 year old tank.. So I am going through everything starting at the source and eliminating possible issues.

And... another question. The motor runs, but after running awhile it sputters and dies. I have a theory on this. I replaced the original lockable dry rotted fuel cap with a new one that I don't think was vented. I doubt it was vented because when I remove the cap after running for a short time I get a "whoosh" when I take the cap off..this in mind I was wondering if the reason the motor sputters and dies is because it can't get any fuel out of the tank once it builds up so much pressure. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help
Joe
joedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: 1970 Chevy 3/4

Joe,

The knob for the wipers has a little set screw on the side if you look closely. It takes a small flat blade screwdriver to loosen.

The headlight is a little different. Reach your hand up behind the dash and feel of the headlight switch. There is a spring loaded little button on the switch opposite where the big electrical plug is. You need to pull the light switch to the on position, then press the little button, then pull out on the knob and it will pop out of the switch.

Try running your truck awhile without any gas cap in place. If it quits the dying problem you know the cap is causing a vacuum. Remember, as much gas as the engine pulls out of the tank, a like volume of air has to go into the tank to replace it or you get the vacuum and consequently the engine begins to starve for fuel.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
joedirt

Hey thanks Tx, any ideas on the other vent on the fuel tank?

joedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:03 AM   #4
VA72C10
VA72C10

THe eec has a pretty complicated setup with hoses and hard lines that return to the tank....I'm not sure exactly how to hook that up in a truck without it....or if that is causing your issue but sounds like it.

I responded to your pm about the dash...if you post up some pictures of the issues you're having I'll try to help.