The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
jlmerrit

1965 First Timer LS Swap

First time posting here, but have been using the forum for some time now as it is a great resource for all things chevy truck. I'm starting this thread as I'm sure I'll have many questions along the way and have never really taken on a project like this before. However, all of the aftermarket support for swapping these LS motors into older vehicles and knowing how many have already completed the swap should make it much more manageable. I drive a 2001 tahoe with over 220,000 miles every day so I'm confident in the LS drivetrain.

The patient is a 1965 longbed stepside pickup that my dad has owned for some time. The old 235 leak oil, smoke profusely, and runs so rough that it doesn't even get driven anymore.
Attached Images

jlmerrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
jlmerrit

Re: 1965 First Timer LS Swap

Here is what will be replacing it. It is a 4.8 that came out of a 2002 truck with 120,000 that I got a good deal on and was actually what started the project. We actually decided which truck to put it in after the motor was purchased. The 4l60e trans came from a 2002 suburban and I also found some 2010 camaro manifolds on craigslist and purchased a CPP transmission crossmember. I plan on purchasing some DD slider mounts and using the original engine stands, but will happily take any advice from anyone who has done this before.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #3
michael bustamante

i love that old gmc (3rd one back) in the barn pic.
subbed
Old 11-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
jlmerrit

Next order of business is getting the wiring harness reworked. Will probably be sending it to 150tunes, but was hoping to find something local. Cleaned the harness up and found some damage where someone started to cut the harness going to the trans, but at least they thought better of it and unplugged it.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
jlmerrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
i love that old gmc (3rd one back) in the barn pic.
subbed
Thought about swapping the 4.8 into the 56 gmc, but it needs a lot more work to be driver. Probably next in line though...
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
michael bustamante

yeah i love that mean lookin mustache grill and bumper tits!! maybe someday......
Old 11-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #7
66ChevyMax

Nice truck looks like it's all there. Good luck as you move forward, can't go wrong with LS package.
1957 Chevrolet 2dr Hardtop
"It makes sence if you don't think about it"
Mesquite 1966 C10 - LS3 W/ Air Ride
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4989763
66ChevyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #8
jlmerrit

Time to update this thread now that there has finally been some notable progress. Got the old 235 out and the 4.8 and 4l60e installed hopefully for good. Took a few tries to get everything right and the first mistake was trying to use the original 6 cylinder engine stands. Thought I could make them work with the adjustable mounts, but ended up pulling some v8 ones off of a 72 pickup. Pic shows the v8 ones installed with the I6 one where it would mount.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
jlmerrit

Another reason for taking the motor back out was the motor mounts. Used DD sliders and bought the rubber mounts they were selling, but the thread size must have not matched the old motor mount bolts and we ended up stripping the nut in one of the mounts. Replaced them with the Energy Suspension poly ones that come with new hardware, doesn't always work when you try to save a few bucks. The money shot is below though and hopefully will help others doing this in the future. DD slider plates + ES mounts + stock v8 stands + 2010 camaro manifolds all fit with no frame or engine stand interference. Even had the front holes in the CPP trans crossmember line up.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #10
jlmerrit

Now I have a few questions to ask. There is a sensor on top of the intake manifold just behind the throttle body that has what I assume is a vacuum line. Pics below show the line coming out of the sensor and where it ends off the back of the motor. Can anyone tell me what this is for?
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #11
jlmerrit

There is also some type of plug of the top of the intake manifold that with a vacuum line that is broken on mine as seen in the pic below. Can I remove this plug and replace it or is there any way to repair is without replacing the entire manifold? I definitely don't want to be chasing down vacuum leaks when the time comes to fire up the motor.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2016, 01:46 PM   #12
indymachinist

I believe the thing behind the throttle body is the evap solenoid.

Hard to tell from the picture but the broken off nipple may be the one for the driver side valve cover breather line.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #13
MalibuSSwagon

Yes the one behind the TB is the evap solenoid. You can unplug that line and disconnect the electrical plug, and it will keep the hole sealed.

The broken nipple looks like the vacuum feed for the fuel pressure regulator. You could plastic weld it or use JB weld to reattach the nipple, if you aren't confident in repairing it then getting another manifold may be your best course of action.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #14
jlmerrit

Thanks, my harness was reworked at 150tunes and I have not got a chance to hook everything up. Probably don't even have the wiring for the evap solenoid anymore and glad to know it can just be left alone and the line does not have to be plugged. As for the other nipple that broke, it is on the driver side a little further back from the hole where the Vortec cover attaches. I was hoping the plug could be replaced but it sounds like I'll have to try to repair it.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #15
indymachinist

If not those style of truck intakes are cheap. I actually have one laying around but shipping would probably be kind of expensive.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote