The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2016, 08:13 PM   #1
Chris Coufal

LS6 Intake Conversion Questions

I'm putting an 07 LQ4 into my 66 C10. I purchased the complete motor last year including the computer, harness, pedal, TAC and every other module/part that came with it. The intake that came with it was the standard (ugly) truck intake that was DBW. When I had my harness modified, I left it that way so that I could eventually have cruise. I've decided that I cannot live with that intake and purchased an LS6 intake.

My questions are:

1) What DBW TB do I need to purchase? I am not worried about bracket clearance as I took off the truck accessory brackets.

2) What plumbing/hose modifications are needed? I'm aware of the injector clip difference and will either re-wire or use an adapter.

3) Is a water pump change required for this to work? It seems the truck water pump is tall.

Is there anything else I need to know about? Currently it's just headers, intake and a mild tune. Plans later will include cam and head work.

Thanks

Last edited by Chris Coufal; 03-26-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Chris Coufal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:38 PM   #2
Heavymetl

Re: LS6 Intake Conversion Questions

The TB in your pic is a 3 bolt, so it'll bolt right up to the LS6 intake. No problems there.

Your accessory drive will determine which balancer and water pump you will need. The spacing is different between the truck, f-body, and Vette systems. As you can see in your pic, the truck balancer/pulley is furthest from the block of the different stock setups.

The injectors are also a piece of cake. They'll use the EV1 style injector and be sure to have your tuner update the injector data accordingly. If I were you I'd just buy the ev1 pigtails and cut/re-wire the harness.

The steam lines will need tweaked, but I'm honestly not sure as I've never personally swapped on a car intake and kept the truck steam lines. Either make your own or source LS1/LS6 parts.
Moser 9" 3.25/4 wheel discs
11.16@121.07
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:59 PM   #3
Chris Coufal

Ok....so if I stick with the truck TB and swap to the Camaro (LS1) water pump, what needs to follow suit? I would imagine that the harmonic balancer needs to be changed as well because of a different depth/offset? Do most people swap that or run a spacer between the water pump? It looks like it should be a 3/4" spacer?

Also does the size of the actual alternator or mounting points change on it? Do I need to swap to the Camaro alternator to run that bracket setup?

Later when I add power steering and AC, do I run the truck components or look for Camaro ones?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2016, 07:35 AM   #4
65standard

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/front...take-swap.html

1953 Chevy 3100 392 Hemi w/727 & 9” Ford
1985 Chevy C/10 6.0L 4L80 373 locker
65standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #5
Chris Coufal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65standard View Post
Thanks
Old 03-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
foamypirate

If you are interested in retaining the truck accessories and crank pulley, you can run an LS3 Camaro water pump, tensioner, and a Dirty Dingo idler relocate kit. It works really well and gives you the needed clearance to run a car intake.

Here is the setup on my LQ4:

foamypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:36 PM   #7
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Coufal View Post
Ok....so if I stick with the truck TB and swap to the Camaro (LS1) water pump, what needs to follow suit? I would imagine that the harmonic balancer needs to be changed as well because of a different depth/offset? Do most people swap that or run a spacer between the water pump? It looks like it should be a 3/4" spacer?

Also does the size of the actual alternator or mounting points change on it? Do I need to swap to the Camaro alternator to run that bracket setup?

Later when I add power steering and AC, do I run the truck components or look for Camaro ones?

Thanks
Like was already stated, Run a LS3/L99 5th gen Camaro water pump so you can retain "Truck" belt spacing.

No offense to anyone, But running a "Car" Intake while retaining the high mount Alternator looks really weird, The whole point to this is to make the engine look better......

Why not convert to PS during the swap?? CaptianFab sells frame brackets to adapt a later Saginaw gearbox.

Got these 2011 L99 Water Pump, Brackets, Bolts & Accessories for $300 from a guy doing a LSA top end on his Camaro. Don't forget the LS6 Valley Cover for the better PCV.

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:32 AM   #8
Chris Coufal

Thank you for your post. That is exactly what I want to achieve......better looking set up with a balanced look and nothing sticking up high like the truck brackets do.

I have a few questions:

You mentioned the valley cover for the LS6. What did you mean by better PCV? What does it help? Would this be something I get from any F-body?

Also when swapping to the 5th Gen parts, do you retain the truck alternator or use the car one? I'm assuming that power steering pump was also stock?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2016, 01:13 AM   #9
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Coufal View Post
Thank you for your post. That is exactly what I want to achieve......better looking set up with a balanced look and nothing sticking up high like the truck brackets do.

I have a few questions:

You mentioned the valley cover for the LS6. What did you mean by better PCV? What does it help? Would this be something I get from any F-body?

Also when swapping to the 5th Gen parts, do you retain the truck alternator or use the car one? I'm assuming that power steering pump was also stock?

Thanks
All accessories are 2011 Camaro, Harmonic Balancer is 2004 5.3L...Same as your LQ9. Alternator mount spacing is different Valeo 150amp vs Delphi truck 105amp/140amp. You can run any truck spacing A/C compressor & Bracket you want.

The LS6 Valley cover has a built in PCV orifice & oil separator that is far superior to Valve Cover mounted PCV set-up's, Here is a pic of mine on a '04 5.3L, Arrow is the PCV.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #10
Chris Coufal

Man.......It is hard to find those parts at a salvage yard. I've spent all morning calling and no one has anything. Are there any kits that anyone knows of similar to this one, but that is for the LS3 without buying all of the AC parts? http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-Camaro-F...-/121830564230
Old 03-30-2016, 12:11 PM   #11
Chris Coufal

Or does anyone have the part list by number so I can source them through Amazon a piece at a time?
Old 03-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #12
LS short box

Just another note.

If you plan on running the LS1/LS6 coil covers you will need LS1 coil packs. The truck coil packs will work fine but they don't fit under the LS1/LS6 style coil covers.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote