The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #1
Lq9'ed 80 Sierra

Ls swap dual tank, fuel system parts list, for return rail system???

Can someone please post a parts list of all the parts I need to buy to complete my fuel system 100%? I will be using an 03 6.0 with a return rail. I already have one 1987 Silverado tank, a sending unit, a pump, and a strainer. My truck currently has the old carburetor dual tanks and all the other 1980 0r 81 fuel wiring and hardware related stuff in it. I'd like to use AN fittings for all connections.

I've done countless hours of searching on and around these forums but cant seem to find organized information as to what I need for my specific setup. There has to be other's out there who went this route.

Thanks
Lq9'ed 80 Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
Lq9'ed 80 Sierra

Re: Ls swap dual tank, fuel system parts list, for return rail system???

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited by Lq9'ed 80 Sierra; 06-21-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Lq9'ed 80 Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
Trixxterr

Interested, in this. As I will be doing the same with my 80 Silverado.
Trixxterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
truckdude239

I mean you could do like the late 80s ford low pressure pump in the tanks high pressure on the frame and the ford fuel vavle that move to block off the other tank depending on whick pump is pumping , basically when power going to back tank th3 vavle clos3s off the front tank port on the fuel vavle so it just dont fill the other tanks

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:40 PM   #5
2wd73blazer

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...350986&page=54. Not sure but this may help.
2wd73blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
BIG10

IIRC they used a different tank switcher on 87-up TBI trucks to handle the higher fuel pressure. I plan to pick one up to use on my 78 whether I end up going LS or aftermarket EFI system. Either way I'll still be running higher fuel pressure and I think it will be necessary. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

1978 Big 10 Silverado, 355 + 700R4 + 3.42 + factory tach + A/C + dual tanks + working cruise control = awesome highway cruiser.
BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:45 PM   #7
izzy_Britton

Sorry to revive an old thread but i too have had some questions on this and i am not able to get hard definitive answers. I am going to go ahead and give my thoughts and theories here and maybe someone can straighten us all out.

This is my plan:

87 tanks

87-91 sending units with pumps attached (pumps replaced for higher flow versions maybe).

87-up fuel tank selector valve (under the cab not the dash mounted button)

03 corvette fuel filter with built in pressure regulator

so basically (i think) it goes like this:

(basic operation) The in-tank fuel pump with pump fuel from the tank, thru the tank selector switch, to the usual connection on the switch. then the fuel will continue to the 'vette filter regulator, then on to the engine.

Seems logical so far.

The 'vette filter regulator will return fuel back to the switch mech. and the switch mech. will return the fuel back to the proper tank.

plumb the 'other' tank exactly as the first with the lines inserted into the 2nd tanks ports on the tank selector switch.

so in the above scenario using the OE/replacement 87-up parts and placing the 'vette filter regulator combo device between the fuel tank selector valve and the engine, everything SHOULD work as it was originaly designed to work. the return line from the vette filter regulator would simply return fuel back to the tank selector valve exactly as it would have on a stock carb'd or TBI setup.

Anyone with experience in this matter see any fault with this set up?

Assuming the above is correct, the only real conundrum that i am having is the wiring portion. On the 87-up trucks, the trucks are wired for in tank pumps, changing sending units and pumps should be a plug and play situation. My truck is a pre-tbi so therefor my truck is not wired for electric in tank pumps. so i have no idea how the pumps are wired nor how the dash switch is wired for the pumps to kick on.

I would also assume that the pump that is in the non-selected tank is not running?

anybody?

thanks in advance.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #8
foamypirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy_Britton View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread but i too have had some questions on this and i am not able to get hard definitive answers. I am going to go ahead and give my thoughts and theories here and maybe someone can straighten us all out.

This is my plan:

87 tanks

87-91 sending units with pumps attached (pumps replaced for higher flow versions maybe).

87-up fuel tank selector valve (under the cab not the dash mounted button)

03 corvette fuel filter with built in pressure regulator

so basically (i think) it goes like this:

(basic operation) The in-tank fuel pump with pump fuel from the tank, thru the tank selector switch, to the usual connection on the switch. then the fuel will continue to the 'vette filter regulator, then on to the engine.

Seems logical so far.

The 'vette filter regulator will return fuel back to the switch mech. and the switch mech. will return the fuel back to the proper tank.

plumb the 'other' tank exactly as the first with the lines inserted into the 2nd tanks ports on the tank selector switch.

so in the above scenario using the OE/replacement 87-up parts and placing the 'vette filter regulator combo device between the fuel tank selector valve and the engine, everything SHOULD work as it was originaly designed to work. the return line from the vette filter regulator would simply return fuel back to the tank selector valve exactly as it would have on a stock carb'd or TBI setup.

Anyone with experience in this matter see any fault with this set up?

Assuming the above is correct, the only real conundrum that i am having is the wiring portion. On the 87-up trucks, the trucks are wired for in tank pumps, changing sending units and pumps should be a plug and play situation. My truck is a pre-tbi so therefor my truck is not wired for electric in tank pumps. so i have no idea how the pumps are wired nor how the dash switch is wired for the pumps to kick on.

I would also assume that the pump that is in the non-selected tank is not running?

anybody?

thanks in advance.

-Izzy
This is the exact setup I have in my truck, works great. You are correct in that only the selected tank's pump will run.

You have a few options for your wiring:

1) Find the dual tank wiring harness from a TBI truck that is in good shape.

2) Build your own harness following the factory wiring diagrams.

3) Build your own harness with relays powered by the TBI tank switch. This is more complicated, but also bomb proof if done right, and you'll get a better power supply to your pumps.

It's a pretty simple harness, I'll see if I can't find you the factory wiring diagrams.
foamypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:58 AM   #9
MTCK

Similar to what I'm doing except I don't need that corvette regulator as mine is a return style fuel rail. Pollak makes a plug and play selector valve rated for like 65 psi. TBI motors were closer to 20 I believe so I'll be using one of these.

It'd be nice to find a donor truck so you could have all the right plug ends and small pieces that always nickle and dime you to death.

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote