The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2016, 03:57 AM   #1
Vandals909

Fuel System. In tank or external? Baffling etc..

I'm at the stage in my build where I need to start putting together my fuel system. I have a 71 shortbed that i'm putting a 2006 Lq4 into.

I would like to relocate the fuel tank to the rear of the truck. Looking at options. Is it better to have an external or internal fuel pump?

My main concern with an inline pump such as a Bosch 044 is it starving due to baffling/not being able to mount it low enough for gravity to help feed it if the tank is less than 1/2 full. I do like the idea of having a pre filter and after filter on an external in line pump.

As for an internal pump, not sure how reliable they are and if they eliminate concerns for them starving for fuel.

Not sure which tank is the best option for internal and which tank is the best option for external.

I do not want a tank that is to low in the rear.

From experience what are the pros and cons to each setup?

Thanks in advance.
Vandals909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:32 AM   #2
ls1nova71

Re: Fuel System. In tank or external? Baffling etc..

All the OEM's put the pump in the tank, so that should say something... Only real down side to them is you usually have to pull the tank to change it, but that said, they last longer since they are cooled by the fuel and they are only pushing fuel and not pulling it which is harder on a pump.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:20 AM   #3
Vandals909

From experience anyone like a tank and particular pump setup?
Old 02-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
Matt Cramer

I've stuffed a Walbro GSS392 into my stock tank. Fit right through the sending unit hole. It's worth noting that an in tank pump on a tank not designed for one can still have fuel starvation issues while cornering.

I kept my in-cab fuel tank, but wouldn't do that if I did a swap all over again. Still has fuel fumes in the cab from time to time.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #5
compsystems

I used a 1990 jeep wrangler gas tank and made brackets to mount under the bed. The tank is internally baffled. I used an 87 blazer sending unit and walbro 255 fuel pump. I modified the tank inlet location a bit for my setup.

It was a bit of custom work for brackets and tank inlet location but it fits well and is not seen below the bumper.
compsystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
slotard

compsystems, what did it take to make the sending unit and pump fit? How big is the tank?
Old 02-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #7
compsystems

the tank is 15 gallons. Its a little small but its the best option the tucks up into the frame. I used angle iron to make a square bracket the fit the space between the frame opening and tank.

The walbro is a bolt in install into the 87 blazer sending unit, no modification required. The sending unit is a drop in fit into the jeep tank with O-ring and lock nut. You will only need to get adapters to fit the metric thread of the sending unit to your fuel hose fittings of choice.

I went with -8 AN line feed and -6 AN line return.

Gas tank = $65
Blazer sending unit =$65
Walbro pump = $130

You will have to modify the tank for your fill location.
Bed fill \ fender fill\ ect...
compsystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Fuel System. In tank or external? Baffling etc..

In tank pump built for fuel injection is the best way to go.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #9
Vandals909

I hope some more people chime in on there tank and pump setups and if they have any issues with it? Starvation and irregular fuel tank level readings.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:59 PM   #10
Hart_Rod

In tank and baffled.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:47 PM   #11
Vandals909

What brand tanks and fuel pumps?

Last edited by Vandals909; 02-18-2016 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:50 PM   #12
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

External, sumped, no baffles (tank foam). 16 gal cel.

Overall, has been solid for like 4 years at least. Haven't killed a pump yet, I drive ~42lb injectors, so its put some work in.

Only problem is tank foam was actually from pre-swap and is starting to get a little old. On extremely hard stopping when ~1/4 tank or less, it'll starve a little (like going 75-0 on a really short off ramp). Not always, and not usually all the way, but you see it in a log. I'm looking at switching to using a Fuel-mat, but haven't commited yet.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:13 AM   #13
Vandals909

Looking at the BOYD welding tank and the ece efi tank. Anyone have any pros and cons to either? Besides price? Anyone driven around with either tank? Any issues full or 1/4 tank. These tank are expensive.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #14
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandals909 View Post
Looking at the BOYD welding tank and the ece efi tank. Anyone have any pros and cons to either? Besides price? Anyone driven around with either tank? Any issues full or 1/4 tank. These tank are expensive.
I have used both and both are quality products. I have had no issues with 1/4 tank driving.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #15
Custom 68

I am using one of Boyds first tanks with the EFI in-tank fuel pump.
I say it is one of the first because I believe he has since improved his baffling. Currently I need to work on this for my truck. It doesn't work as well as I think it could as it is. I am not bad mouthing this as it fits great and looks great. Most of the time I have no issues however under hard acceleration and under half a tank it gives me problems.
I am going to contact him and see if there are any suggestions.
I have seen the fuel mat Brew mentions and that may be a direction but I am unsure what baffling is in the tank now.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #16
Custom 68

And to add to this prior to this tank I had a poly blazer tank mounted in back with an external pump. First it didn't look very good as it hung down quite a bit and I did have a pump go out on me. I had been on the power tour and was returning home so it had been stressed quite a bit with the heat. My trip home was 15 or so hours of straight driving and about 10 hours into it i started fighting it. I had to make several stops the rest of the trip for cool down but I did drive it home with no real problems. I swapped the pump until I could afford a nice tank.
Like others have said I think the in-tank pump is the best way to go It keeps cooler.
I have had this swap in for 11 or 12 years so either will work.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #17
Vandals909

Thank you for the replies guys. I just want to make sure if I drop $700+ on a tank and pump setup that it has 0 issues. I think that's a reasonable expectation
Old 02-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #18
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I'm running stock tank,, no baffle or foam,, walbro 255 external, vette filter/reg..I've run my tank level down very low and never had any starvation issues..I may have just got lucky though..in tank is probably best..as already stated the factory setups are that way.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #19
indymachinist

A Bosch 044 can and regularly is used as an in-tank pump. For an average LS motor it is overkill though.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #20
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
never had any starvation issues..I may have just got lucky though.
So many factors to ever know for sure. My cell is mounted center and VERY low, but I also have an extremely loose suspension compared to guys on stiff springs and low pro rims. My truck transfers a lot of weight front to rear, and I probably change the height of my cell more drastically than most guys. I can probably lift my rear end 6" if I locked up the front brakes (need to limit that in the new suspension).

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymachinist View Post
A Bosch 044 can and regularly is used as an in-tank pump. For an average LS motor it is overkill though.
Too Much = never enough.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #21
Vandals909

Does anyone have any experience with aluminum cracking or ripping? Trying to see if stainless is really worth the extra cost. Truck will be driven maybe 3 or 4 times a month a short distance
Old 02-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #22
Andy4639
Old member

Mine is a 42 gallon Suburban tank inside the bed under my fiberglass cover. it sit's right behind the cab and it was for a TBI fuel injection pump to start with. All I did was swap the pump out for the TPI motor and now for the LS motor.
You can use the foam but as stated it will start coming a part later on. The best solution is a tank made for this app.
I can't see anything wrong with the Aluminum tank as far as normal use. The steal will be a bit more stronger maybe.
The thing I don't like about aluminum is the threads are bad to strip and on SS they are bad to galling.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #23
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

For a smaller cell, aluminum is nice just from a weight perspective. I don't mind the poly cells, but they don't usually take the "best" advantage of the room available, and you can't put your fittings at will.

Anyone know what those big 100 gallon bed-mounted extended range tanks the diesel guys use are made of? I have no idea.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:54 PM   #24
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Brew if your talking about those in the bed diesel tanks.. a buddy of mine has 2 in 2 different trucks ,one is a stand alone tank and its made of 1/8" steel ..the other is a toolbox/tank combo and its all aluminum.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #25
Andy4639
Old member

All the bed tanks I looked at where for non flamable liquids. In other words no gas! I was surprised. The tool box tanks I would think are cool and hidden which I liked.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club