The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2016, 05:11 PM   #26
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Fuel System. In tank or external? Baffling etc..

What they heck else would you need a bed tank for? Water?
I'm thinking the big transfer tanks, the ones that even have a gas pump ON them for farms and stuff.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #27
Advanced Design

Ours are steel and used for refueling tractors, bulldozers and other equipment. The electric pump is right on the tank.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:34 PM   #28
LS short box

I've used a Bosch 044 external on a few swaps. Always worked well. Kept the tank above 1/4 tank. Never a problem.

Having said that on my 98 Wrangler LS6 swap. Eight years on a Walbro 255 intank with a Corvette FFR and again never a hiccup.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:40 PM   #29
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Fuel System. In tank or external? Baffling etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
What they heck else would you need a bed tank for? Water?
I'm thinking the big transfer tanks, the ones that even have a gas pump ON them for farms and stuff.

Product Summary:

14-gauge steel tank features a durable, powder-coat finish, lockable cap, reinforced bung and much more. Baffles add strength while preventing the contents from shifting too quickly. Not intended for use with gasoline.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FUEehgod5MgHdg

http://www.wayfair.com/Lund-Inc.-18-...1203.html?PiID[]=9409481

Information:

The Tradesman TVST50 50-Gallon Full-Mid Size Vertical Liquid Storage Tank is recommended for construction and agricultural use. Designed to accommodate any size of Tradesman's cross bed boxes, this tank comes with base mounting tabs and baffles to provide an even flow of liquid. This storage tank is not intended for transferring gasoline or other flammables and should be not be used as an auxiliary fuel tank. It does not meet DOT specifications. Made with 14-gauge steel.

This site has DOT tanks.

http://www.atitank.com/products/dot-refueling-tanks

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:22 AM   #30
Vandals909

What ohm sending unit works best ? I will probably go with after market saints digital style gauges
Vandals909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #31
Low Elco

Jeep Tank, but I had bought an unbaffled for the carb setup. I cut the top ring out of a plastic oem 03 truck gas tank, made a ring to reinforce the underside, and cut a hole in the Jeep tank and used the shortened pickup bucket with the stock pump and a Vette FFR. Like a bandit. They sell a 91 wrangler tank with the FI baffles, then use the shortened 87 PU stuff. I was just sweating the baffles. There are pics in my new heart thread.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:13 PM   #32
Kyle_

I just ordered a 64-68 F*** Mus***g tank from Tanks Inc along with their in tank pump and I am pretty excited to get it and get it in. All i have been able to find on it is one guy putting it in. And judging by his photos I don't know why everyone isn't doing it. The tank i ordered is baffled for efi and it takes a standard 5 bolt sending unit. The tank P/N is MU-T.

Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #33
68c10airstream

I purchased an ECE stainless tank. Not cheap but no regrets. Fits like a glove and well made. Fuel pump inside the tank keeps the pump cool, is quieter, and as far as safety goes is better. I didn't want the tank behind my back. With the pump inside the tank it's one less item outside the tank to leak after a crash, and fewer fittings.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #34
crakarjax

I just posted about this but I'm hoping to run a stock style unit with built in regulator, filter, and sender like this:

Amazon.com: ACDelco MU1657 GM Original Equipment... Amazon.com: ACDelco MU1657 GM Original Equipment...
I have no idea how one would go about mounting it on a tank though. You don't need a baffled tank with these because there's a jet that keeps the bucket filled with fuel.

A bit more info http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-p...onversion.html
Old 03-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #35
Vandals909

Below is the response I received from Boyd's on starvation issues and vent clearance.

Originally Posted by Vandals909
Thinking about one of your tanks with EFI for my 71 with a chevy ls motor. i'm worried about what some have said about fuel starvation when the tank is under 1/4.

Also they say you have to trim the bed cross rail for the rollover vent?

Most concerned about spending $600 plus and havin starvation issues.

Both of those issues have been resolved. we have substantially increased the baffling so starvation issues are no longer a concern. the rollover vent has been relocated to ensure clearance of the lower bed cross member.

*** I have not gotten a response if there will be a discount member group buy anytime soon.
Vandals909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #36
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by compsystems View Post
the tank is 15 gallons. Its a little small but its the best option the tucks up into the frame. I used angle iron to make a square bracket the fit the space between the frame opening and tank.

The walbro is a bolt in install into the 87 blazer sending unit, no modification required. The sending unit is a drop in fit into the jeep tank with O-ring and lock nut. You will only need to get adapters to fit the metric thread of the sending unit to your fuel hose fittings of choice.

I went with -8 AN line feed and -6 AN line return.

Gas tank = $65
Blazer sending unit =$65
Walbro pump = $130

You will have to modify the tank for your fill location.
Bed fill \ fender fill\ ect...
Is this the sending unit you used? Amazon.com: Spectra Premium FG12L Sending Unit... Amazon.com: Spectra Premium FG12L Sending Unit...
And it looks like the tank's filler might clear the frame rail for a side fill... true?
Old 03-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #37
roundhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_ View Post
I just ordered a 64-68 F*** Mus***g tank from Tanks Inc along with their in tank pump and I am pretty excited to get it and get it in. All i have been able to find on it is one guy putting it in. And judging by his photos I don't know why everyone isn't doing it. The tank i ordered is baffled for efi and it takes a standard 5 bolt sending unit. The tank P/N is MU-T.

keep us updated on the mustang tank,

thats pretty cool
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #38
t300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_ View Post
Looks slick, what are you going to do with the filler? Would you be able to get the filler out behind the license plate? Bit hard to tell from the pics. I need a tank that will work with a frame mounted hitch and a filler that is *not* in the bed.
t300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #39
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

After running external pumps for the past 10 years, I finally modified my tank and added an Aeromotive Phantom setup....OMG....it's great.

https://aeromotiveinc.com/products-p.../phantom-flex/

Still have my twin external sumped Holleys for extra fuel in boost, but for day to day driving....I don't need to stop and fuel up at 1/4 tank anymore for fear of tearing up my fuel pumps from starvation.

2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #40
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted Income View Post
After running external pumps for the past 10 years, I finally modified my tank and added an Aeromotive Phantom setup....OMG....it's great.

Still have my twin external sumped Holleys for extra fuel in boost, but for day to day driving....I don't need to stop and fuel up at 1/4 tank anymore for fear of tearing up my fuel pumps from starvation.
I'm looking into piecing the same kind of setup together for my build, but at 1/5 of the cost -- I'll be using a cheaper pump though because I don't plan to exceed 600hp.

My setup will look like this:

'87 Wrangler tank - $60
Bolt-in Pickup assembly + Gasket - $40
KEMSO 340LPH pump - $40
External Filter/Regulator - $33
Misc. wires & connectors - $10

So, about $120 for the pump assembly, and maybe $200 with the tank, fuel line to the rail, fuel filler setup, and a fabbed bucket if the tank isn't baffled.

I'd even like to mount the filter/regulator in the tank assembly as well if external corrosion won't be an issue. This would save me some $ also because then I could use a cheaper singe line pickup.

Then if I need more flow later I can always drop in a replacement pump and still use the rest of the setup.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #41
sangell

For a fairly stock to mild modded motor I don't think you can beat the factory in tank pump/sending unit. It solves the starvation issues, its quiet, reliable, etc. There are a number of different part numbers that work with different depth tanks and well as a few different places making rings to mount them. Mine came from Liquid Iron Industries
sangell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #42
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
I'm looking into piecing the same kind of setup together for my build, but at 1/5 of the cost -- I'll be using a cheaper pump though because I don't plan to exceed 600hp.

My setup will look like this:

'87 Wrangler tank - $60
Bolt-in Pickup assembly + Gasket - $40
KEMSO 340LPH pump - $40
External Filter/Regulator - $33
Misc. wires & connectors - $10

So, about $120 for the pump assembly, and maybe $200 with the tank, fuel line to the rail, fuel filler setup, and a fabbed bucket if the tank isn't baffled.

I'd even like to mount the filter/regulator in the tank assembly as well if external corrosion won't be an issue. This would save me some $ also because then I could use a cheaper singe line pickup.

Then if I need more flow later I can always drop in a replacement pump and still use the rest of the setup.
On your LWB, you might be able to use a TBI K/5 fuel tank and hanger, but with a 60 psi pump in place. I did this on my K-10 and it worked perfectly for a stock LS.

2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #43
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted Income View Post
On your LWB, you might be able to use a TBI K/5 fuel tank and hanger, but with a 60 psi pump in place. I did this on my K-10 and it worked perfectly for a stock LS.

Interesting... What is a K/5? Do you have pics of how you routed that filler? It looks like it wouldn't clear the frame rails without a raised bed based on the pics. I was thinking a wrangler tank because it's not too deep and won't hang very low below the frame. I don't know if that's even a concern for me yet really though as I'm pretty early in the planning stages.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #44
crakarjax

Ah OK I realized it was the blazer after looking at your sig! Yeah I think that TTY ank would hang too low for me personally but it sure fits well. I've been looking at all kinds of OEM tank and so far the Jeep tank looks the best for fit, shallowish depth, and filler location. I did see some use iirc 53 Chevy tanks but the filler shoots into the frame rail and requires trimming, but nothing major.

The pics on page 2 of your thread seem to be dead btw!
Old 03-28-2016, 11:04 PM   #45
crakarjax

Another option I came across was a 1997 f150 tank, not sure about that angled pickup though

http://www.gastanksusa.com/19fofsudupit3.html
Old 03-29-2016, 03:01 AM   #46
Paul Y

Does anybody have pictures of the wrangler tank installed especially the fuel fill?

After looking at building my own system using swirl pots and lift pumps Matt Cramer suggested a Wrangler tank and Blazer sender unit on my thread and managed to find a tank on eBay locally for 99p so, as the whole,idea of the swirl pot etc was cost looks like I am going to try this route.

Also... Which singe correct blazer sender unti. I seem to have found a number of options with multiple outlets and for tanks of varied capacity.

Any assisted on the correct part would be appreciated as it is a 6000 trip to change it!

Just trying to get my head around the fuel fill as don't want it in the bed of my 66.

P.

Last edited by Paul Y; 03-29-2016 at 03:06 AM.
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:48 AM   #47
crakarjax

I'm not sure which sender will work with the wrangler tank as I was planning to do something custom, but is a stock unit fits then that might be the way to go and I'd be interested in doing something similar.

One way to tell would be to look up the specs or part number for the lock ring on the wrangler tank and also on the blazer tank... If they are the same then you'll know they fit in the hole. You'd still need to know the correct depth but it's pretty easy to mod the send to change the length anyway.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #48
sangell

The ring I'm using for the tank I'm making.
Attached Images

sangell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #49
crakarjax

I'm looking seriously at later 2002 s10 blazer tanks now, this guy posted some pics of his install:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&postcount=38

It looks like they include some relief to dump the exhaust behind the tires, which is nice.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #50
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangell View Post
The ring I'm using for the tank I'm making.
That's sweet, where did you get it and what are the specs? What senders does it work with?