The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
Desperado454

Anyone ever fix an amp?

Now, this was my fault because I accidentally jumped the + and - terminals while it was hooked up. I took it apart awhile ago and thought i could just replace the resistors or something. Couldn't find an exact match so i shelved it. Saw again today and before i tossed it, i'd figure id ask if its even worthwhile or possible. Any thoughts?

'28 Model A Build

-Brooks
Desperado454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Axle

Re: Anyone ever fix an amp?

Anything is repairable if parts are available and the damage hasn't taken out too much of the board itself. I can see you have damaged traces, and you will need to scrape off the black as it is carbon and will conduct, you'll need to do some point to point wiring to take the place of the damaged traces.
At the very least you have a few reistors to replace. The large ones, are a flameproof wirewound resistor, 1watt, .1 ohm IF the third band is silver (can't tell too well from the photo). If the third band is gold, it is 1 ohm. Replace both.
And you'll also want to replace both of the small 1/4watt resistors above and below the fried set. Reference the colors on the remaining three to see what they are.

There is a good chance you fried the transistors to the left as well, and any transistors further into the circuit board, primarily that board sitting up on its edge which is probably an amplifier circuit itself. Some of these are common items you can buy from any decent electronics supplier. Some of them are manufacturer sourced only.

If you are lucky, you got away with only frying the resistors and not the little amp board. But I have a feeling you'll be spending a few more dollars on it. If you don't have access to some additional basic equipment you'll just be shotgunning it, but like I said, you may have gotten lucky. And again, the large resistors are flameproof (usually green or blue in color). Don't save a buck buying regular resistors to replace them. These got really hot and toasted everything around them, and it should be apparent why you'll want to stay with flameproof ones for these.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote