The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2016, 11:29 PM   #1
Bowtie001
Project underway - finally.

Can't remember how the hood latch, grill support stuff goes back together!

Folks, I am reassembling my 72 GMC, and I can't remember what the grill support piece bolts to.

Also, checking the LMC truck catalog, I see a piece called the bumper/radiator deflector. I don't ever remember seeing this piece.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=101

Can you help with explanations, or preferably pictures of either of these?

Thanks

-Brian
Old 04-20-2016, 12:08 AM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Can't remember how the hood latch, grill support stuff goes back together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie001 View Post
Folks, I am reassembling my 72 GMC, and I can't remember what the grill support piece bolts to.

Also, checking the LMC truck catalog, I see a piece called the bumper/radiator deflector. I don't ever remember seeing this piece.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=101

Can you help with explanations, or preferably pictures of either of these?

Thanks

-Brian
I once used that part's absence to talk the PO of my '71 Jimmy down for $50 * off his asking price. Turns out it's only present on '67 and '68 model year Chevy and GMC trucks.
It was deleted on production of the 1969 and later trucks, with the blunt nose hood design.
I've often wondered if it would fit onto my '71 GMC, as it's very handy to keep a gallon jug [empty Prestone] of water and a spare bottle or 2 of motor oil. I previously had a '68 C/10 Stepside and a '67 K/10 Suburban, which both had the shelves, and the look of pavement under the open hood scared me.
But it is normal for your model year of 1972 not to have the Bumper/Radiator Deflector. I always called it a 'grille shelf'.

[* That was about LMC's price for a p/n 30-3779 then.]
In short, if you don't have it, you don't need it.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 04-20-2016 at 12:23 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:41 AM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

The center support that holds the hood latch assembly as well?

Hood Latch Support

Mounts to the core support with one 7/16" double hex head tapered screw with integrated washer. The fixed nut for this is located near the bottom center on front of the core support.

Irregularity: One hole was drilled into the support for an auxiliary transmission cooler. This needs to be welded.

Hood Latch Assembly (mounts to the core support etc.)

The assembly mounts to the core support, hood latch support and outer grille using four 7/16" head double hex tapered screws, with integrated washers, and one hex 1/12" head tapered screw with integrated washer. The threads on all five are the same. The hex screw was located in the center of the assembly on the RH truck side.

The two screws on front of the assembly mount on top of the outer grille. One goes through the outer grille into the hood latch support, the other into the J-nut on the outer grille.

Bolt Catch Plate (mounts to the Hood)

The bolt catch plate mounts to the hood using four 1/2" head tapered screws with integrated washers. There's a fixed nut in the hood for each.

Reference the hole in the hood located on the rear RH (truck side). Facing the latch in a mounting position, the hole in the hood was located to the rear and right of center of the bolt hole in the plate. See image. Note: Try centering everything first.

Reference the hole in the hood located on the front LH (truck side) for the plate. Facing the plate in a mounting position, the hole in the hood was positioned the same as above. See image. Note: Try centering everything first.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-20-2016 at 01:14 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:14 AM   #4
Bowtie001
Project underway - finally.

Wow thanks! I think those pretty much cover it.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:18 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

They better ha!. I have to put this back together someday myself.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 04-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #6
In The Ten Ring

I took dozens of pictures every step of the way of removing my front end. I HOPE I CAN GET IT ALL BACK TOGETHER ALSO!

Good luck and if you need any pics, I can post some of the tear down.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:30 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I usually take a few images. For the most part I rely on words. My "not so chosen" profession lends itself to it. But it takes longer to write than it does removing parts, so it's a pain in the #$#.

Tell you what though, not that I'll need these, but no words can replace some images, for example:

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-20-2016 at 11:39 PM.