The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2017, 06:16 PM   #1
dmjlambert

Lightbulb Lessons I learned about starter cable

This is just a rant for your amusement. My truck is a1969 CST/10 with SBC 350 and TH400 auto transmission.

The positive cable that my truck came with from the previous owner was a cobbled together cable and ends, and the battery end was one of those bolt-on marine type or repair connectors shown in picture 1. After a few months, the truck was getting difficult to start, it would not turn over very fast and sometimes would not turn over. It had a fresh battery. After thinking about it and poking around under the hood like an amateur, I decided to get a super-duper Powermaster mini starter from Skip White. Well I put it in and it didn't work. Further troubleshooting revealed the bolt-on cable connection on that marine terminal was high resistance and just not worth a damn.

So, I went shopping at O'Reilly for a whole new battery cable. Picture 2. I thought the cable I found there hanging on a peg that was 4 GA with a top post heavy clamp would be very much like the factory cable and would be the last one I ever need. I was incorrect. After taking it on and off about 2 times, the clamp cracked near where the bolt goes through to tighten it, where the arrow is pointing in picture 3. The truck was starting, although it was noisy to start. I tried shimming it with various thickness shims to try to get it to sound better, and I watched youtube videos and read articles about using a paperclip to measure how the teeth fit, to try to learn and get it right. More about that later on.

I took the cable back to O'Reilly and exchanged it, installed it, and it cracked the first time I used it. I am not clamping it tight at all, just snugging it up. I took it back again, explained what was going on, and right there in the store we took another one out of the package and installed it on a core return battery. It cracked. Obviously these things are made of out what I will refer to as atrocious pot metal. Terrible. The guy offered me a refund.

So then I went on a trek to Napa, Autozone, Advance, and Pep Boys. Every single one of those places had the exact same package made by the same exact manufacturer. The clear plastic box that hangs from the peg was the same, and the cable is wrapped in the package by a white plastic band that says in red and blue type "Made in USA from foreign parts" or something along those lines. The card inserted in the package was stamped with the different brand names from the different stores (for example Duralast from Autozone). The shape of the cable terminals was exactly the same. I was asking the folks at the stores, is there something I can do to get a cable made by somebody other than that manufacturer, and they said all they can help we with is hanging right there. One of the stores had the same manufacturer with the different type of clamp shown in picture 4, but they didn't have the length I need for my truck (about 48 inch) and it looked pretty cheap-o.

I was getting pretty alarmed at the quality of this part that was available, it was absolute crap, and the same exact thing made from the same manufacturer hiding behind the brand names was apparently all that was sold by all the competition. I even went to NTB to see if they had cables, and they said no, and referred me to O'Reilly, Napa, Autozone, Advance, or Pep Boys.

I went to the local Chevrolet dealer parts department, and the guy I bought some other parts from and who was somewhat familiar with these old trucks listened to my story. He said he didn't have the cable for such as old truck. I was about to walk out, but he did some digging on the computer and came up with a picture of one he said he could order. It looked like what I needed. I asked him about the length, because it was an odd size, 53 inches, and perhaps they could get a 48 inch cable. He said it was listed by application, and that was what my truck called for. I said that sounds fine, and he ordered it up. A few days later it came in, and the terminal is quite a bit better, more heavy duty than anything I was working with before. It is $40 worth of beautiful. Picture 5.

Getting back around to the noisy starting I mentioned earlier, while I was struggling with the battery cable problems, the starter noise was getting worse. The truck began to be unreliable to start, because sometimes the starter would spin and not catch and turn over the engine. I crawled under the truck and removed the dust cover and found the flex plate teeth are chewed all to hell. Now I have another job to do on the truck, oh boy! I am putting the original starter back on it, and will learn a lot about shimming and make sure it is set up correctly so I don't chew up the flex plate again.

This all comes down to crappy battery cables, and lack of proper troubleshooting, leading to messing around with the starter, when I should have left that alone.

Proper positive battery cable for our trucks:
ACDelco ACD# 4BC53X GM# 88860050
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
hdff

Re: Lessons I learned about starter cable

I found some very nice custom made cables online

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
toolboxchev

I hear ya on those crappy cables. I make my own battery cables now out of 2/0 marine cable and sweat a solid brass connector with some real good solder, rosin flux and aircraft quality shrink tube with a sealant/glue in it for a solid corrosion resistant application.

I can literally watch my ole school external voltage regulator switch on and off frequently! I hate crappy store bought, corporate parts. If I do buy something from the shoe box auto places its a lifetime warranty product no doubt they will be replacing!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Some of those mini starters only engage about 1/4 of the way into the flywheel gear. I discovered this recently on my truck. Looks like I'll be putting a new flex plate in mine, too. I can't complain too much, since it is the original from 1970, with about 215k miles of use. Plus, I got the truck for free.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
dmjlambert

I think the one in picture 5 you should be able to order from any Chevy dealer, and one of the main reasons for my post is to give the AC Delco and GM part numbers. It could probably also be ordered by anybody who can order AC Delco, but I was not trusting other sources.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:54 PM   #6
kwmech

I just make up what ever length I need from 16 ga. up to double 00
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:56 PM   #7
dfwright

The one you show in picture 4 is available in a very large selection of lengths and cable sizes at our local Wal-marts around here. They may look cheap, but they work fine.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:39 AM   #8
custom10nut

Two things that I've learned.
1. If you don't have the starter brace on, the mounting bolts will eventually flex and bend enough to cause the problem you speak of.
2. When you replace your flexplate, use the heavy duty one, and not the cheap one.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:21 AM   #9
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

I've had great luck with 1998 Chevy Tahoe starter.

ACDelco 337-1022 made my 454 with a terrible tight starter sound like a new truck

And the same one on my 73 with 406 sb started it with 36° initial timing.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:00 AM   #10
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedemon View Post
the crap they try to pass off on us today is unbelievable . all I can find at any parts house around here is your number 4 . I had to use it , it is working for now but I know it wont last long . I am going to invest in the tools and supply to make my own .
That crap as you call it, is because we've moved past starters that draw 300-400 amps..
and to gear reduction starters that don't take nearly the same amount of juice..
The parts stocked are for todays vehicles not the ole school..40 year old crap..

Biggest problem with the larger cables sold on flee bay and amazon/etc is they are copper coated alum wire cables..

You should be using the later 350 gear reduction starter over the original type if you ever replace a starter anyways.. much less taxing to the charging system..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #11
zosoppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
I think the one in picture 5 you should be able to order from any Chevy dealer, and one of the main reasons for my post is to give the AC Delco and GM part numbers. It could probably also be ordered by anybody who can order AC Delco, but I was not trusting other sources.
Rockauto has that AC Delco part number listed for $17.45 Pic looks the same as OP's photo.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....sn=253&jsn=253
Old 04-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
terry b

I will take my 45 year old crap over anything new anytime!
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #13
Troy Sr

What I have found is go to a marine supply/parts store. I have a West Marine near me and they have 9 stores in Texas. Their cables are of great quality. They're more expensive but they're made to marine standards which are far better than automotive.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #14
David Maddux

I have had B&B Custum Circuits from New Jersey make a lot of custom battery cables for me for the antique tractors. He can make anything you need and good quality. He has also made a lot of wireing harness for me. top notch heavy made product.
973-632-5596
David Maddux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #15
MySons68C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
I've had great luck with 1998 Chevy Tahoe starter.

ACDelco 337-1022 made my 454 with a terrible tight starter sound like a new truck

And the same one on my 73 with 406 sb started it with 36° initial timing.
The AC Delco 98 Tahoe starter is what I have used on the 383. It is very quiet
and is built with all new components.
I purchased mine from Rock Auto.
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #16
hewittca

Oh man, I recently purchased that exact same battery cable for my truck! Mine has so far survived 2 whole removal cycles so mine is doing 100% better than yours right? Maybe I should never remove it again...
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote