The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #1
wazzabie

build sheet on door?

Has anyone found the build sheet inside the door or attached to the inside door panel?
wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #2
TKCR

Re: build sheet on door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzabie View Post
Has anyone found the build sheet inside the door or attached to the inside door panel?
I bet there are some in there. There was always a separate build sheet for door line and inpanel line where I worked at. The doors and inpanel/dash were sub assembled separate from the vehicle and then installed on the vehicle later on the line somewhere.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:14 PM   #3
Gregski
Post Whore

nope I thunk they lived under the seat, to make it easier for the mice to get 'em ha ha
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:44 PM   #4
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
nope I thunk they lived under the seat, to make it easier for the mice to get 'em ha ha
The one under the seat, if there is one, is the main build sheet that traveled with the body down the assembly line.
The door line had their own build sheet. That was probably the case with the engine and other sub assembly lines. That’s why some build sheets were found in the frames of the vehicles.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:30 PM   #5
wazzabie

From what I can gather the build sheets under the seats are found for bench seats. I have yet to find someone who found a build sheet under a seat on a 73-91 K5 Blazer. On my 78 K5 I took the carpeting out and found a bolt for the top someone had dropped during assembly. No build sheet under the seat and carpeting. I need to go into the door panel so I wonder what I might find.
wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:36 PM   #6
TKCR

I have pulled hundreds of seats, and only found 1 build sheet. As far as doors, I have had both my doors apart, but no build sheet.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:02 AM   #7
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
The one under the seat, if there is one, is the main build sheet that traveled with the body down the assembly line.
The door line had their own build sheet. That was probably the case with the engine and other sub assembly lines. That’s why some build sheets were found in the frames of the vehicles.
Squarebodies were trimmed out at the final assembly location with the doors attached; doors weren't removed and then built up on a separate line.

That would make finding a build sheet in the door very unlikely (but I never say "never"). If someone misplaced the trim ticket and put it in the door you might find one. You would be more likely to find an old inspection ticket, or part number tag, or paper coffee cup, or extra fasteners, or love note, or lunch menu, though.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #8
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Squarebodies were trimmed out at the final assembly location with the doors attached; doors weren't removed and then built up on a separate line.

That would make finding a build sheet in the door very unlikely (but I never say "never"). If someone misplaced the trim ticket and put it in the door you might find one. You would be more likely to find an old inspection ticket, or part number tag, or paper coffee cup, or extra fasteners, or love note, or lunch menu, though.

K
That’s interesting. I would have assumed the doors were built separately from the main line, much like it is done today.
And let’s not forget, lost currency. We had someone that had lost a $100 bill out of their pocket. It was just given to them as part of a collection that was taken for them. They knew pretty much when they had it, and then when it was lost. So there was just a number of vehicles that it could have been in. People were certain that someone else had found it, and kept it for themselves. Low & behold a vehicle ended up in the repair area for some reason, and the carpet had to be pulled up. If I remember right, it was to repair and dry out the carpet for a water leak. Well guess what was found? The $100 bill. The vehicle fell in the range of the cars she thought she lost the money out of her pocket. So she was pretty happy it was found and returned. Of course this was way back in the day when “most” people were honest. The person that found it, could have very easily had pocketed the money. But because the story had circulated about the plant about the lost money, they felt compelled to return it, since it had been part of a collection for this lady. And I believe it was because she had just had a house fire, so people were collecting money to help her out.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:44 PM   #9
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
That’s interesting. I would have assumed the doors were built separately from the main line, much like it is done today.
We've come a long way in terms of assembly ergonomics since the squarebody days.

Back then you had to lay on your back to do the underhood wiring. Today's separate IP line is a direct result of all the injuries and inefficiencies of doing it the old way.

"Doors off" allows easier access to the back of the door as well as the interior of the vehicle. Not how we did it back then; doors went on in body shop and stayed on through paint and trim. There was a strong aversion to "undoing" work that had previously been done.

The final line "pit" has been eliminated in favor of elevated conveyors which allow the operators to stand upright, etc.

I'm sure the changes were implemented for better efficiency and increased profits for the General but the secondary effect is that it is easier on the workers (and keeps them "fresher" so they can do a better job longer and stay healthy).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:36 PM   #10
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
We've come a long way in terms of assembly ergonomics since the squarebody days.

Back then you had to lay on your back to do the underhood wiring. Today's separate IP line is a direct result of all the injuries and inefficiencies of doing it the old way.

"Doors off" allows easier access to the back of the door as well as the interior of the vehicle. Not how we did it back then; doors went on in body shop and stayed on through paint and trim. There was a strong aversion to "undoing" work that had previously been done.

The final line "pit" has been eliminated in favor of elevated conveyors which allow the operators to stand upright, etc.

I'm sure the changes were implemented for better efficiency and increased profits for the General but the secondary effect is that it is easier on the workers (and keeps them "fresher" so they can do a better job longer and stay healthy).

K
The ergonomics have come along way. In the 30 years at being at Honda, the jobs have changed dramatically from the day I hired in. It was literally back breaking work, being on the assembly line.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:26 PM   #11
D13

Favorite reported find... Olds Quad 4 stopped running, no oil pressure. We exchanged it. Engine plant teardown revealed remains of KFC box meal in the oil pan, box had plugged the oil pickup and starved the bearings. Chicken grease was not enough to keep it running.

Deliberate sabotage was rare but it was not uncommon to find things in bad spots on squeak and rattle rides. A bolt or nut in the door, or down the back of a trunk lid, can make a tremendous racket.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:08 PM   #12
TKCR

Oh my!
Old 09-20-2021, 07:40 PM   #13
Blue GMC

Yep my 2014 Buick has a washer in the hood that you can only hear when you open it. Anyone remember the carnage Brian Bosworth did at Ferd
Blue GMC is offline   Reply With Quote