The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
My3Sons!

My 71 Jimmy

Well, I finally did it. I've been on the hunt for a while now, and really had my heart set on the Jimmy, love the quad headlight and my daily driver is a GMC Denali. I live in Redmond (Seattle area) and wanted to find one somewhat local, within the Pacific Northwest. I'd seen a few candidates come and go and started to rethink my strategy. I didn't want a project truck, but something that I could work on and get at least some sense of accomplishment on it. So, I finally landed on one in Idaho, but couldn't make it down to see it in person as I was going on a quick Nappa trip with my wife (without our 3 young boys), so as soon as I got back I called the guy, guess what.....SOLD! Well, as luck would have it, he tells me about another one he had read about in the paper......In the PAPER? Who advertises in the paper anymore? Nothing in Craiglsist even......anyway, called the owner and got some crappy cell phone pics, mechanically sound, but needed body work and paint. Not a ton though, all the rust had been removed and the truck was stripped and primered. As luck would have it the owner was moving to Hawaii so I was able to get a pretty screaming deal, and after 12 hour road trip (round trip) I had it back in my driveway! Since then, I've had some basic maintenance done, replaced ball joints, tie rods etc. bought about every conceivable replacement part for it, had the body straightened out and painted Audi red. Interior is from a 2011 Escalade, 2nd row buckets and 3rd row bench in perforated black leather, with a Tuffy box as a center console so I have somewhere to keep things secure. I still have a lot to do, still need to install rear bumper, heat shield and carpet kit, connect the new heater, replace the choke cable, it came with a dual wall top that needs some work, but for now it's strictly a sunny day ride! I have 3 boys (oldest just turned 7, and twins that are 5 1/2) so they are in heaven with this thing. They just light up whenever they get to ride in it. It gets quite the celebrity attention, I have people stop and take pictures when it's parked, and lots of gawking wherever I go. It's such a rare truck, I've really enjoyed driving it the last week or so since getting it out of the shop. Thanks to everyone on this forum that has helped with some of my projects thus far. Like, removing the instrument panel, I would have never figured out that headlight switch, although like a dummy I broke my choke cable thinking that the knob unscrewed, rather than simply removing it from the carb and pulling it through the firewall and the dash. Lesson learned.....Anyway, love to hear your feedback and look forward to being part of this community!
Attached Images

My3Sons! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: My 71 Jimmy

Sweet!
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
fear_nothing

Sweet ride!

That bondo job is a crime against all of humanity..... dang!
fear_nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
My3Sons!

Isn't that the truth. Thankfully the shop was able to rid most of it, the shot above is the after, they did an amazing job, it looks pristine now. I was able to work all day on it today and got the front bumper on, and interior in. Rear bumper will not let go, picked up a bolt splitter at Sears so hopefully have that off tomorrow. I'll try to get some more pics up, anybody know how to upload pics from iPad?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
OLD K5

I am in the same boat as you are with having young kids, we both need to get a roll bar to protect them. Looks amazing, keep the pictures coming.
OLD K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
My3Sons!

Roll cage is on the list, hard to find a place that still makes them. I got a lead on a place locally, just need to get it in there. Here are some shots of the interior, one of the quick project to thread the front wheel. Got a set of stock Rally wheels and one of them was never threaded for the center cap. Didn't realize it until they were mounted, so had to remove it to thread the holes. Replaced the instrument panel today, and got it completely buttoned back up, and then realized I missed the inner black plate that backs to the gauges,,,,,ugggh basically had to do it again. Nailed down some loose ends, like hood bumpers, cig lighter, glove box emblem, and latch. The carpet kit made a huge difference on the interior, it's really starting to look finished. Made a quick trip with the boys to Home D to get some random parts and had a crowd of people standing around it when we came out! All this hard work is paying off, now just time to enjoy it!
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
My3Sons!

couple more interior shots
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Wow, very nice looking Jimmy. I'm surprised I haven't seen you around. I'm just over the hill in Bothell/Kirkland area. Come to the carshow in Kirkland tomorrow (Sunday July 29th).
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
my71gmc

Wow - great Jimmy. I really like the seats. Did they install easy?
my71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3Sons! View Post
Isn't that the truth. Thankfully the shop was able to rid most of it, the shot above is the after, they did an amazing job, it looks pristine now. I was able to work all day on it today and got the front bumper on, and interior in. Rear bumper will not let go, picked up a bolt splitter at Sears so hopefully have that off tomorrow. I'll try to get some more pics up, anybody know how to upload pics from iPad?
Posted via Mobile Device
I just google photobucket on my tablet, then hit download, takes to my gallery, and i select which picture i want. Mine is a samsung, but it should operate the same...

Bumperbolts are a son of a gun, try tighening till they snap. Make sure your knuckles are clear of everything on the breaker bar

Welcome to the boards

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
My3Sons!

@My71Jimmy, the seats were easy, but took some blood, sweat and thankfully no tears. They are 2nd and 3rd row out of a 2011 Escalade (really the same in any Tahoe, Sub, Yukon, Denali etc. from 2007+). You can pick up aftermarket brackets for the rear set up so they still come in and out easily. The toughest part is getting all the holes lined up properly, because the fit has to be almost exact. Not a lot to work with so just taking your time to measure twice and drill once. Just start with the rear support bracket and drill completely through it, it takes a lot of muscle but once your through easy to bolt up. The front seats are a little unique and may not work for most. There is a natural incline in the rear brackets so they will not fill below the truck bed. They do though, fit almost perfectly up on the truck bed. It just may be too far back for most. I'm 6'6" so having the extra leg room is great. I sit a little high but I do in any car and since the top will almost always be off, it's no problem. So same thing on the front seats, I just drilled right through the floor and bolted them down. Had to use aftermarket seat belts in the front, the rear have 3 built in which is great.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
fear_nothing

The seats look great! I've got the same rear seat, just haven't mounted mine yet. Did you get the mounts for the rear seat off ebay or another source?

thanks!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
My3Sons!

I did get them from eBay. The catch on at least the ones I got was I needed additional clearance below the mount. In other words if you just bolt them up the seats will not latch. So if you look closely of the interior shot with no seats, you'll see the brackets and all I did was raise them up with stacked washers. Probably a better way to do it, but it was the quickest solution for me. I had gone down the route of using square steel stock and had all the holes drilled, only to realize that all I had done was lift the same surface area as the floor, the clearance needs to be under the bar the seats click into. If I had the right tools I would have cut out the section on the steel stock under between the bolts, I'd seen someone else do that on this forum. Anyway, I had originally intended just to swap out the 3rd row seats from my Denali, then stumbled across a matching set of perforated leather that matched the front seats, so had to pull the trigger, happy I spent the money, it was kind of a pain to keep going back and forth with the seats.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Good to see you as we passed. Sorry you couldn't make it down earlier for the show. Then again, your rig would have totally upstaged mine!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #15
My3Sons!

Yeah, perfect timing. My Jimmy does not like long stop and go and we had spent about 30 min putting around the main drag and was idling rough. I had wanted to get in and see the show but it was packed, we stopped for ice cream and bailed. Any other Blazer/Jimmy's in the show?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
My3Sons!

Finally got the bumpers on, about killed myself on one of the center bolts in the back, finally snapped like a carrot. Also, something humiliating to share, I had the Jimmy backed into my garage and when I hopped in the truck I literally head butted the garage door track, nice J shaped gash in my forehead......Everybody is like "OMG, what happened..." I just hang my head, wishing I had some elaborate story to tell.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #17
Firebirdjones

Great find. Funny you mentioned the paper. I've found 3 of my vehicles in recent years through the paper. I never find anything on Craigs list and quite frankly don't even browse it much. I'd much rather look at the paper and even get online and read the paper in other states looking for cars and parts, auctions etc...

Looks like you made some headway, turned out great. I like the GMC's. Just different enough to stand out.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
fear_nothing

Quite the story, I'd have to start the story out with You should see the other guy

Again killer truck!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #19
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Quote:
Yeah, perfect timing. My Jimmy does not like long stop and go and we had spent about 30 min putting around the main drag and was idling rough. I had wanted to get in and see the show but it was packed, we stopped for ice cream and bailed. Any other Blazer/Jimmy's in the show?
Posted via Mobile Device
No others. You should plan a head for next year. I think it's always the last weekend of July. I won the "car show survival kit" in the raffle which includes free entry to the 2013 shows.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #20
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

I've been looking for seats like those, but in the light gray titanium....they are hard to find in that color, but the black are everywhere. My main concern with the black is that I'm worried that with the top off in the sun, I won't have any skin on my legs after coming out of a store or something....

How hot do they really get?
Posted via Mobile Device
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #21
My3Sons!

It can be bad, but all I do is fold them down on hot days. The rear seats are perfect, they lay flat and have cloth back so you fold them up and they are not hot at all. The drivers seat on my setup hits the steering wheel when folding it down, but keeps the majority of the leather out of the direct sun.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #22
blue 72 gmc 4x4

Nice Jimmy! I'm wondering about one thing though, how come the front bumper is sitting so low?
1969 Chevy C/30 Bruiser
1972 GMC (Wrecked)
1972 GMC pickup..old blue

Restored Vent Windows
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=766598

1955 GMC hydramatic build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429417

blue 72 gmc 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #23
orange72blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue 72 gmc 4x4 View Post
Nice Jimmy! I'm wondering about one thing though, how come the front bumper is sitting so low?
Body lift?
orange72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #24
My3Sons!

exactly, 3 inch body lift
Old 08-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #25
orange72blazer

Quote:
exactly, 3 inch body lift
If you want to get rid of that gap you can move the bumper up like I did when I put a 3" body lift on my Blazer. It makes it look much better I think & it was fairly easy to do. Here is a link to a thread with pics & a description of what I did. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=213918
orange72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote