The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
jweb

Power steering noise

I have an LS1 stock power steering pump hooked up to a new T bird power rack. Also installed the Borgeson pressure reducer.

It has started making noise on left turns. It will only make the noise when driving. Has about 500 miles since the install, Any ideas of what it could be? Or a good way to diagnose?

A new AC/delco pump is $400 (2004 GTO)so I don't want to just throw parts at it.
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Power steering noise

I'm not sure about the tbird rack, but mine will make a little noise at full lock one way but not the other. I've got the 72 steering gear, which isn't mounted even on the '66 frame, so I get like a 1/4 turn less to one side.

I'd double check that your rack is centered and that you have = turning side to side. Sometimes a bit of binding will also cause that straining noise.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I'm not sure about the tbird rack, but mine will make a little noise at full lock one way but not the other. I've got the 72 steering gear, which isn't mounted even on the '66 frame, so I get like a 1/4 turn less to one side.

I'd double check that your rack is centered and that you have = turning side to side. Sometimes a bit of binding will also cause that straining noise.

It makes noise even with a slight turn. It could be the rack but it's hard to tell since I can't reproduce it when stopped. I guess I'm just assuming it's the used pump and not the new rack. The rack might explain why it only happens on left turns.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
ls1nova71

Seems to me if it were a pump issue it would make noise in both directions, so I would guess it's the rack, but it's just that, a guess. It's interesting that you say you can't reproduce it standing still, will it make noise if you rev the engine up? Is the reservoir full of fluid, and not foaming up?

On a side note, how does it drive with the T-Bird rack? I had one in my car when I built it, but took it out straight away because it was too quick and made the car want to dart all over the road with the slightest movement of the steering wheel. Pretty sure it has something to do with the geometry of a Mustang II front end. I replaced it with a fox body rack that is a full turn slower and it drives a lot better.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #5
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Seems to me if it were a pump issue it would make noise in both directions, so I would guess it's the rack, but it's just that, a guess. It's interesting that you say you can't reproduce it standing still, will it make noise if you rev the engine up? Is the reservoir full of fluid, and not foaming up?

On a side note, how does it drive with the T-Bird rack? I had one in my car when I built it, but took it out straight away because it was too quick and made the car want to dart all over the road with the slightest movement of the steering wheel. Pretty sure it has something to do with the geometry of a Mustang II front end. I replaced it with a fox body rack that is a full turn slower and it drives a lot better.
No noise when you rev it, full of fluid and no foaming. It drives great with the t-bird rack. I know there are a few different t-bird racks, I think one is 3 turns and the other is 2.5. Can't remember the exact numbers. I also have reduced the pressure with the Borgeson shim kit. The rack is about 2 months old from NAPA.

What year Mustang is your rack or do you have a part#? If I need to replace this one I may try what you have.