The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2016, 09:11 PM   #1
CJM72

Rebuild 4l65(0)e when installing AA np205 output shaft?

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to make some decisions regarding a 4l65e for my LQ9 swap into my 72 K5. The Advance Adapters NP205 kit requires the trans to be torn down to replace the output shaft.

Are you guys having your transmissions rebuilt when you do this? Seems crazy to spend $400 having the output shaft swapped on a junkyard trans without at least having it freshened up. I'm torn between paying $700 for a used 4l65e that still needs $400 invested for the output shaft swap. Seems like a risky $1100 investment for a trans with unknown history.

The other option is to have my Local builder put together a built 4l65e with my output shaft for around $2000. He just took in a nice 4l65e on trade (all billet shafts, drum, etc.) That he has apart for inspection. He built it originally ($4500) but the customer has upgraded to a powerglide to go with his new 900hp motor.

You guys just running these junkyard trannies?
CJM72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
CJM72

Re: Rebuild 4l65(0)e when installing AA np205 output shaft?

I forgot to mention that my LQ9 will be stock for now without any major plans beyond a cam down the line.

I also don't have a core 4l65e transmission, so I don't currently have something to build.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
CJM72

Well not much response here, but I think I talked myself into buying a built 4l65e with a warranty from a local builder. Stock rebuilds seem to be about $1500 locally with a good core, so $2k for a built tranny (no core, ouput shaft swapped, 3 yr warranty) seems like a good deal.

All the used 4l65e's cost between $700-1000 around here and I'd still have to pay to get the output shaft swapped in. Seems like a lot of money for a trans that might blow up and set me back another grand.

I'd still like to know how you guys are making out with the junkyard trannies!
Old 04-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
izzy_Britton

since i dont do off road i have no use for 4 wheel drive options. but this thread makes me ask...

why are you using the advanced adapters output shaft and parts for an np205 t-case in the first place? I was under the impression that the np205 bolted up no mods necessary? obviously i am wrong or you wouldnt be doing this but i coulda swore....

I would also assume that your using a 2wd trans and are needing to swap out tail housing and output shaft for this adapter set up?

what am i missing?

also the price of 4l60e / 4l65e seems a bit steep. around here we get em for couple hundred bucks fresh kill from junk yards. I picked one up couple weeks ago for 75$ no TC, fresh kill truck running and driving (crashed in the front but insurance counted it a total loss). also my trans guy will rebuild a 4L60/5e with upgraded stuff (not the billet parts obviously) for $850.

seems to me you could buy even a core and have it built (here) anywhere and shipped cheaper than what your local guy is charging. i am all about supporting the local shops and economy when its not blatantly theft.

just sayin...

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:35 PM   #5
CJM72

Unfortunately, you definitely have to buy a custom adapter kit with output shaft to adapt a 4l60e to an np205 transfercase. Doesn't matter if it's 2 or 4wd tranny. The adapter is necessary to create a vss output and get the 6 bolt output pattern to 4 bolt 700r4 style.

The $2k tran I'm referring to is fully built with billet components, so the price is actually super cheap for what it is. He originally sold it for $4500 and took it back on trade for a powerglide. This guy runs a respected performance shop, so he doesn't do stock rebuilds often. He's def. not the cheapest option.

I can get a 4l60e for around $400 locally, but the 4l65e's have been quite a bit more. Feels like once someone tears down a 100k mile trans to swap the output shaft.....they'll find plenty of things that need to be freshened up. I think the LQ9 will eat up a stock 4l60e, so a 4l65e it is.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #6
izzy_Britton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM72 View Post
Unfortunately, you definitely have to buy a custom adapter kit with output shaft to adapt a 4l60e to an np205 transfercase. Doesn't matter if it's 2 or 4wd tranny. The adapter is necessary to create a vss output and get the 6 bolt output pattern to 4 bolt 700r4 style.
Good job on forward thinking GM.

Quote:
The $2k tran I'm referring to is fully built with billet components, so the price is actually super cheap for what it is. He originally sold it for $4500 and took it back on trade for a powerglide. This guy runs a respected performance shop, so he doesn't do stock rebuilds often. He's def. not the cheapest option.

I can get a 4l60e for around $400 locally, but the 4l65e's have been quite a bit more. Feels like once someone tears down a 100k mile trans to swap the output shaft.....they'll find plenty of things that need to be freshened up. I think the LQ9 will eat up a stock 4l60e, so a 4l65e it is.
good to know. i am not a off roader so i never looked into it. i recently purchased a 2003 chevy truck 4x4 with 5.3/4l60e that will go into a friends scout later this year or sometime next year. the only issue we could see was the new(er) t-case had the front drive line on the wrong side for the scout project and considered either changing front axle or changing t-case. it is setting on a pallet next to the scout and neither of us have looked twice at it since it was pulled out because we are both working on other LS swap projects. i will have to remember this subject when the time comes.
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:04 PM   #7
clinebarger

$2000 is a good deal if it has Billet Input & Output Shafts.

My 4L60E builds start at $1450...
Trans-Go shift kit.
Sonnax .490" Boost Valve.
7 Borg Warner 3-4 Clutches.
New GM 3-4 Apply & Backing Plates.
Borg Warner Forward Sprag.
Borg Warner Frictions & Band.
Corvette Servo.
New GM Separator Plate.
New Forward, 2nd & 4th Accumulator Pistons.
ALL New Bushings with Wide Sun Gear Bushing, Teflon Pump & Output.
New Torrington Bearings.
New Pump Vanes, Pump Slide Pin, Sonnax Primer Spring.
Includes Stock to 2500 Stall Converter.
3 year unlimited warranty.

Next step up cost $2200, Includes everything above besides the TG Shift Kit & adds.....
Sonnax Performance Pack. (Includes Billet Pinless Accumulator Pistons)
Sonnax Input Drum Reinforcement Kit.
High Speed GM Reaction Planet.
Sonnax HD 2-3 Shift Valve.
Blocked 3-2 Shift Valve (Saves the 3-4's under heavy abuse)
Sonnax Forward & Reverse Abuse Plugs.
New GM Reverse Input Drum, For a Wide 2-4 Band.
Wide Alto Carbon 2-4 Band.
Sonnax 4th Super Hold Servo.
3 year unlimited warranty.

Above that we get into Billet Shafts, Sonnax Input Drum, 5-Pinion Planets, Billet Pump Rotor, Ratio Changes etc. etc......At the point of needing upgrades like this, I recommend a 4L80E that will be cheaper & hold more power longer!

IZZY, You don't build, You don't have to stand behind a product. So it is not fair to call someone a thief over their pricing.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote