The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #26
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: engine years. options

If your taking a steel tank and adding the sump (low point) then MIG is fine, TIG for alum or stainless tanks. I wouldn't really use silver solder (Braze) on larger structural apps if it can be avoided. It is great for things like bracets, weird fittings etc.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #27
Marty68

i was thinking silver solder because you can easily see it flow to seal. i will mig it.. pulling 350 out after packer game have ad on c-list.
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #28
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty68 View Post
i was thinking silver solder because you can easily see it flow to seal. i will mig it.. pulling 350 out after packer game have ad on c-list.
I haven't really used silver soldier in too many automotive applications. I've used sil-floss on things like radiators/heatexchangers, or like brasing for fittings. I guess I'd be more likely to use it on something like a cracked door handle or something where I needed the fill more than the strength. There may be old school guys with way more braze-welding type experience that could be way more specific.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:11 AM   #29
Marty68

a brown truck dropped this in my wife,s parking spot just as she was getting home from work.
what to do first.... you guys that are using the stock cross member. you are removing the diagonal braces correct? i am unsure which motor mounts to use.
looks like i took the pic with my phone upside down
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #30
Marty68

taking harness off and getting ready to set engine in. look how clean it is inside valve cover. how do i get the injectors unplugged and harness unplugged from tranny.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2015, 04:40 PM   #31
Marty68

where did this o ring come from? do you see anything i should be concerned with?
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2015, 05:50 PM   #32
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Looks kinda like an injector O-ring but I can't tell from that distance. Did you pull the injectors out before the manifold, or leave it all together?

If you pulled it apart, the oring could roll off the injector tip and fall there when you pulled the manifold off. Makes sense in my head at least.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #33
ls1nova71

Looks a little big for an injector o ring. My guess is its an old fuel pressure regulator o ring. They go bad and are replaced fairly often. Its also in the right spot to have fallen down under the intake.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:14 PM   #34
Marty68

i took it off together. .. i now have engine sitting in place.... thinking it will only go back one more time so... i should, (while the weight is on suspension) swap in my 2.5" spindles and disks. run new brake lines. prep and epoxy prime firewall...
another question... are 2.5" spindles and 2" too low for truck pan? thinking i should find good stock springs and sell drops... i DO NOT want to notch frame and i have 4" springs for rear
Old 02-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #35
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty68 View Post
i took it off together. .. i now have engine sitting in place.... thinking it will only go back one more time so... i should, (while the weight is on suspension) swap in my 2.5" spindles and disks. run new brake lines. prep and epoxy prime firewall...
another question... are 2.5" spindles and 2" too low for truck pan? thinking i should find good stock springs and sell drops... i DO NOT want to notch frame and i have 4" springs for rear
In general I don't like the fit of the truck pan in relation to the xmember, let alone the 4" it hangs below. I'm about 5" drop up front, and the truck pan would scare me at that height.
I'm running the LH8 pan and the clearance is now comfortable. It ends up right about at skidplate height, and I've bottomed the xmember out on the Indiana-Kentucky bridge on I65 @75mph with no damage to the pan or anything (cept my underwear).

Old 02-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #36
Marty68

YIKES... i may put truck together make it run and drive with disks them pick away at projects on it like spindles disks, swaybar(s). brake lines look good but now would be the time... the truck has been lowerd at some point likely with torch.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:32 AM   #37
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Doing disks is easier when you do the spindles at the same time, you can just go 5bolt and be done with it.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #38
Marty68

i have most all the parts, in a box on the shelf, 6 bolt disks, calipers hoses pads, spindles.... no tie rod ends or ball joints or bearings.
i think however 2.5 spindles plus 2" springs is too low.