The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
Tilt

Long tube Headers

I know this has been asked over and over, but with the search function down, it’s been frustrating to say the least trying to find an answer. I am looking for a set of long tube headers for my swap. I have an 86 that I am swapping in an Lq9/4L80. I am using the Dirty Dingo mounts. What long tubes out there will fit these swaps? If you have found a set that works, post the brand and part number if you have it. Thanks
LQ9/4L80 swap (SOLD)
Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Long tube Headers

The Doug Thorley's were the first "made to fit" longtubes for the c10 swaps. He's got all the part # listed on his site. There are a couple different versions for larger primaries also if you need the extra flow (tighter clearance tho). I think its the 324-y and 323-y that you'd be looking at, but check there to be sure.

There are a few others that work also, but they all have slightly different fits. Keep in mind things like motor position, how low you can go below the frame, your steering shaft will all affect the "perfect" fit.

The google search part up top still works, but its not nearly as good as the in-forum search. Still, if you find the part #'s for the DT headers, you can find threads and builds who have used them if you plug it into the search box.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:06 AM   #3
Tilt

Thanks BC. I've seen the DT's, and they are nice, but I was really hoping to not have to spend $700 on a set of headers.
LQ9/4L80 swap (SOLD)
Old 02-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
83 Silverado

Patriont exhaust has a c-10 swap header, it's a mid length header and the price looks good, just haven't seen any installs with them.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/pte-h8087-b
http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...87-1/overview/
83 Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
homemade87

Here's a thread that may help you . Lots of headers had been used . You just have to figure it out base on what set up you are using . Found this with the search up top.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=388536
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #6
Tilt

How much do you really give up going with a mid length header over a long tube?
LQ9/4L80 swap (SOLD)
Old 02-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #7
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
How much do you really give up going with a mid length header over a long tube?
Maybe 10hp on a stock motor . More if your a bigger cubic inch and have the mods to support it . If you are going the run a stock cam and intake I would not worry about it . Just run what fits for your set up .
Old 02-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
Tilt

The LQ9 is stock as of now, and will be for a little while. I do plan on swaping cams and maybe some 243/799 heads. I was just trying to keep from redoing the exhaust later on when I do the cam and heads.
LQ9/4L80 swap (SOLD)
Old 02-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Your leaving 20-40hp on the table with a H/C/E truck if you don't do mid/long tubes, unless your using them as turbo manifolds.

If I were to keep my TBSS manifolds after my new heads go on, I wouldn't be taking advantage off all the flow I just added with heads.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #10
Tilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Your leaving 20-40hp on the table with a H/C/E truck if you don't do mid/long tubes.
Like I asked above, would there be much hp loss going with a mid length over a long tube header?
LQ9/4L80 swap (SOLD)
Old 02-08-2015, 07:34 PM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Thats hard to say for 100% certain as there are some really long mid's and some really short long's. Got me? If you have a mid length header with a good sized primary and a collector that exits in a reasonable position, I can't see you losing a ton. Same goes if you have a long tube that has wild-ass tube angles and lengths, I can't imagine you'd be really that far ahead of the game. In general longtubes make more power, are available with larger primaries and have more favorable collector sizes. If you find a longtube header with narrow primaries, it won't net as much power, but might see a few more artificial tq from the backpressure. Clear as mud right?

Consider exhaust mods not about GAINING power, but about NOT LOSING power.

A full stock truck may gain 8-15hp with mids, and 12-20 with longer tubes....BUT a large cam and heads will hugely alter that, where a mid might only make 5-15hp over a stock manifold, but a longtube could bring 30.

Yet if you threw 1-7/8 longtubes and a twin 3" exhaust on a bone stock 4.8 it would probably only pickup a few HP, but more than likely start to lose the tq which made it driveable.

Shorties<stock mani<mid<longtubes IMO.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #12
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
Like I asked above, would there be much hp loss going with a mid length over a long tube header?
I would not expect a great big difference between the two . If you are looking for every bit off power you could possibly get out of your set up , long tubes are better. Maybe 10-20hp . Unless you are running on the track you will not know the difference . It is just a matter off what you are looking to get out off your set up .

Last edited by homemade87; 02-08-2015 at 07:47 PM.