The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2020, 05:16 PM   #1
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

So, that is downer #1. i decide that i will need to talk with Mcleod on Monday and if needed return to Summit and get a different one. not sure but i am not going to install this clutch.
I take the clutch out and mount the Muncie up and want to get it all installed into the frame and see how it looks, bolts up and such. I get it ready and install into the frame and notice something is just not right. So i look closely and notice the Harmonic balance 8" is hitting the new Powered Rack n Pinion i installed!!! NO!!! DAMNIT now i need to buy a 6" balancer ..... Not my weekend, but the motor looks good in the frame at least...
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Some great work on this build. Thanks for the updates.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Some great work on this build. Thanks for the updates.
Thank you, i appreciate it.
If i can help anyone i am happy to. Many on here over the years have helped me, so i am more than happy to try to help others.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
88Stanger

So i got notice from Summit that the next up clutch kit from Mcleod will not ship out until late this year, so i decided on the next up from that one, or two up from my original. It will hold up to 700hp, so this should work.

McLeod Street Extreme Clutch Kits 75324

Now it is time to install the new 6 3/4" Harmonic balancer I had to get due to the 8" i have hitting the newly installed direct bolt in Rack-n-pinion piston.

I swear, if it is not one thing it is another. LOL
Old 07-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
So i got notice from Summit that the next up clutch kit from Mcleod will not ship out until late this year, so i decided on the next up from that one, or two up from my original. It will hold up to 700hp, so this should work.

McLeod Street Extreme Clutch Kits 75324

Now it is time to install the new 6 3/4" Harmonic balancer I had to get due to the 8" i have hitting the newly installed direct bolt in Rack-n-pinion piston.

I swear, if it is not one thing it is another. LOL
Did they mention you might need to change the balancer to a small OD unit to clear their 'bolt-in' R&P set-up?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:39 PM   #6
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Did they mention you might need to change the balancer to a small OD unit to clear their 'bolt-in' R&P set-up?
Well actually no they did not, so i plan to let them know this.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #7
88Stanger

Ok, so i am getting the new harmonic balancer painted today, then install Friday along with the new Mcleod clutch, also i had a set of Tri-y stainless headers for my "69 i bought some time ago but then went with LS so i thought what are the odds they fit the "66, and they seem to just fine, so now i need to get an exhaust kit. The headers have this wierd ball or partial ball end where you mount up to exhaust, so i need to find out what that is called and get the connector for that.
Then i will be checking the engine and tranny angle mount along with the differential angle. I have read all kinds of articals on this and if i am not mistaken, the engine/tranny can be pointed down up to 3 degrees and the rear diff up at 3 degrees, or less for both, as long as they are not a direct line to each other, so that the u-joints must work, correct? I assume i would want to measure at some point where i think the airbags would be at ride height or ?
Old 07-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Ok, so i am getting the new harmonic balancer painted today, then install Friday along with the new Mcleod clutch, also i had a set of Tri-y stainless headers for my "69 i bought some time ago but then went with LS so i thought what are the odds they fit the "66, and they seem to just fine, so now i need to get an exhaust kit. The headers have this wierd ball or partial ball end where you mount up to exhaust, so i need to find out what that is called and get the connector for that.
Then i will be checking the engine and tranny angle mount along with the differential angle. I have read all kinds of articals on this and if i am not mistaken, the engine/tranny can be pointed down up to 3 degrees and the rear diff up at 3 degrees, or less for both, as long as they are not a direct line to each other, so that the u-joints must work, correct? I assume i would want to measure at some point where i think the airbags would be at ride height or ?
Ball & Socket collector.

Driveline angles need to be set w/weight compressing the chassis @ ride/alignment height.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #9
88Stanger

Quote:
Ball & Socket collector.

Driveline angles need to be set w/weight compressing the chassis @ ride/alignment height.
thank you sir!!
Old 07-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #10
roll_the_dice

Just went through your entire thread...very nice work and very detailed! Can't wait to see more as you progress.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:59 AM   #11
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Just went through your entire thread...very nice work and very detailed! Can't wait to see more as you progress.
Thank you! Its been a great time and this is my 2nd full build but by far a better build. The first was a "69 C10 with an LS. IT is a good solid build but not with as high of quality parts or aftermarket parts as i have on this one. Plus on this one i actually have a lift now in the shop, and DAMN what a HUGE benefit that was!! That is the best $2800.00 i have ever spent hands down.
I should have an update on the Clutch install and harmonic balancer after Friday.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #12
88Stanger

UPDATE: Well i have been up all night with the little girl (see post earlier with pic). She is very sick, puking, shakes, cannot get comfortable, she is just miserable and of course this just kills me. I have no kids of my own (not by my choice) so her and her 6 year old Olde English Bulldogg big brother, they are like my kids. I am a big guy, tattooed almost head to toe, look like some big ugly scary guy and having to watch this little Angel suffer just kills me.
Anyways, trying to get through that, i was able to get the new McLeod clutch in and test the finger height right out of the box, not mounted or anything. I have a variance of .025", and after talking with them i know that they have a .050" allowance from the factory, so will work with this. Hoping to get this or maybe to .050" variance when mounted. I will then set the Hydraulic clutch to have .100" for clearance from the mid point of what i get. This way i am in the middle
Old 07-16-2020, 11:51 AM   #13
MarKist

Man get that little girl to the vet ASAP. I have 2 females bostons too, one's name is Zoe also, love my dogs and I know the feelings you have for yours! (very very smart dogs) So get her to the Vet! keep us posted. oh BTW digging your truck looks really nice I have a 66 setting in the woods just waiting to be loved on and Im trying to get motivated to pull her in the garage and go to town on her!

oh well,..you'll have that!!
MarKist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:19 PM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarKist View Post
Man get that little girl to the vet ASAP. I have 2 females bostons too, one's name is Zoe also, love my dogs and I know the feelings you have for yours! (very very smart dogs) So get her to the Vet! keep us posted. oh BTW digging your truck looks really nice I have a 66 setting in the woods just waiting to be loved on and Im trying to get motivated to pull her in the garage and go to town on her!
My mom had a few Bostons over the years. I was amazed that when they ate from their bowl of food, their hind legs could/would float using only the fronts to get their head far enough in for that last morsel
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-17-2020, 10:40 AM   #15
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarKist View Post
Well i just posted on her, she had to be put down. She was born with a birth defect in her little intestines and over 40% of them were dead. just about did me in. BUT in her little honor, we will move on.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #16
88Stanger

Update: I know this is a truck site for trucks and the builds, but sometime we have our little pals that we plan to have with us in our trucks, and my little girl that was so sick yesterday did not make it. She had a birth defect that killed off most of her intestines and so i had to let her go. Broken hearted now and trying to keep the momentum right now to get back to the truck. It is amazing how much such a little innocent little pup can grab your heart with the force of all and hold on.

Ok, danm, sorry about that. so for the truck. I got to mount the clutch and remeasure the fingers. I ended up with about .070 to .080 difference. So found the middle, made a note and decided that this was the number i would use to set the .100 to .150 clearance. I figured use the .100 number, that way up or down i am good.
Then i realize that i cannot find any shims! really, seriously. damn, unreal. what a damn week. I have exhaust, brake lines, fuel lines left to run.

So that is on hold, so i have all the interrior stuff to go through, clean up or buy new so i can get ready to start work on the cab very soon.

My plan is to wrap the whole truck in flat red. I done only a small amount of vinyl work, but hey one way to learn.... So after i get the cab cleaned up and ready for wrap, then i will look at trying my hand at wrapping. BUT i will start with the fenders and doors first before attempting the cab.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #17
Paul Y

Really coming together - keep us updated on the Pup.

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:53 AM   #18
88Stanger

Truck Update:
I had a set of Tri-Y headers 2.5" that i got couple years ago for my "69 C10. I thought, maybe they would fit the "66. Well they do! LOL So now i have the headers so that is not needed. Now i am looking at what to do for exhaust. Get a universal kit or try to take it to a shop and have it done. I am a bit different because i want side exhaust if possible, just before the rear tires. I have been looking at these flattened exhaust tips that i would maybe like to have. Suggestions here?
Old 08-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
Truck Update:
I had a set of Tri-Y headers 2.5" that i got couple years ago for my "69 C10. I thought, maybe they would fit the "66. Well they do! LOL So now i have the headers so that is not needed. Now i am looking at what to do for exhaust. Get a universal kit or try to take it to a shop and have it done. I am a bit different because i want side exhaust if possible, just before the rear tires. I have been looking at these flattened exhaust tips that i would maybe like to have. Suggestions here?
Quote:
Update:
additional pics and Pics of Headers being wrapped
Header material? Mild steel & 409ss will not like the wrap as it somewhat seals condensation between it & the tube. The mild steel will rust. 409 will get funky. I'm not sure if 304/316ss wouldn't either.

The wrap helps but hurts. Know that going-in when using it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #20
88Stanger

Quote:
Header material? Mild steel & 409ss will not like the wrap as it somewhat seals condensation between it & the tube. The mild steel will rust. 409 will get funky. I'm not sure if 304/316ss wouldn't either.

The wrap helps but hurts. Know that going-in when using it.
Thanks for the advice. The headers are SS and I do understand what can happen, but for the temp relief in the engine compartment, i am ok with that. On a daily driver i would be more concerned with it, but for this ride i am ok.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #21
88Stanger

Powder Coated the "eyes" of the air cleaner
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2020, 11:05 AM   #22
88Stanger

damnit
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #23
Paul Y

Feel you on the Pup.

Had to have my best friend put down a few weeks back and it really hurts doesn't matter who you are, how big or how scary.

Completely unintentional but ended up with a new addition to the Pack - this one shares the same blood line so when the opportunity presented itself I couldn't say no.

Yes, my carpet does need Hoovering!

Back to trucks ordered the frame stiffener yesterday so thank you for taking the time to speak to me a few weeks back - now just got to wait for it to make its way across the ocean!

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:17 PM   #24
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
Feel you on the Pup.

Had to have my best friend put down a few weeks back and it really hurts doesn't matter who you are, how big or how scary.

Completely unintentional but ended up with a new addition to the Pack - this one shares the same blood line so when the opportunity presented itself I couldn't say no.

Yes, my carpet does need Hoovering!

Back to trucks ordered the frame stiffener yesterday so thank you for taking the time to speak to me a few weeks back - now just got to wait for it to make its way across the ocean!

P.
That is so awesome Paul! Sorry for your loss, but the addition is too cute.
I will one day soon get another one, just not sure when, i will know when.

As for the frame stiffiner, that is cool! I hope it gets to you soon. Any questions, please let me know!!
Old 07-18-2020, 07:18 PM   #25
88Stanger

New Clutch Disc, holds up to 700HP

Tri-Y headers on, MSD Dist. In and Wires ran
Attached Images