The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 08:37 AM   #1
Slowguy

Another Vin Tag question

-
Deleted VIN tag swapping question. Not allowed per the Administrators of this web site.

Quotes from Administration:

Quote:
State to state the laws vary. That is why it is not allowed here. Proof of fraud is not needed as it is illegal to remove them at all.
Quote:
You have to speak to DMV. We can not allow posts discussing otherwise. That has been a rule for years.
-

Last edited by LockDoc; 11-05-2021 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:43 AM   #2
Blue GMC

Re: Another Vin Tag question

The second you removed tags means you need to call your state inspector and find out how to have a new vin for your vehicle as those are not to ever be removed. They will retitle it as an 2021
Old 11-05-2021, 08:47 AM   #3
Slowguy

I have contacted them. They said since this is a "hobbyist" vehicle I can do whatever I want. All the vins are matching and there are no issues....first thing I found out. It is titled and plated as a highly modified hobbyist truck. Interestingly enough, hobbyist plates can even be applied to "homemade vehicles". Anyhow, does anyone have an answer to my original question?
Old 11-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #4
jocko

Hmm. I’d say you’re pretty lucky. However, unless similarly registered, the guy that bought your original cab with no VIN tag (hopefully not with a swapped tag from your good donor) is probably screwed.

Generally speaking, a rule of thumb is that humans outside the GM plant that built it should never touch a rosette rivet.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
Slowguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Hmm. I’d say you’re pretty lucky. However, unless similarly registered, the guy that bought your original cab with no VIN tag (hopefully not with a swapped tag from your good donor) is probably screwed.

Generally speaking, a rule of thumb is that humans outside the GM plant that built it should never touch a rosette rivet.
So there is a vin number stamped on the frame as well. Is that not an issue when anyone replaces a cab and the two vins don't match? I've seen many repo or redone cabs with no vin tags. I know this has been discussed to death here but I did lots of research before hand as well as calling the DMV. They said it depends on the age of the truck, it's titled category , and what it's being used for. My original vin tag and my frame stamp are all original and match. The only thing that was replaced was the cab....not sure what the other guy's intent was with the rusted out cab he bought from me, that's his deal. I did my homework and I'm good. I suppose I'll answer my own question here and just get a couple rosette rivets and fill the extra set of holes.

Last edited by Slowguy; 11-05-2021 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
72c20customcamper

There are ways to legally remove and reinstall vin plates . Did it numerous times when I worked at my uncle's body shop in the late 70 early 80s . Replaced many drivers side door pillars due to damage. State police get involved check all paperwork and inspect vehicle before and after repairs. You would get a certified letter of repair from them in a few weeks. There has to intent to defraud to make it a crime even the federal regs have work arounds.

Not sure how it would be for somebody doing it at home .

I would weld the holes and repaint the area . Shouldn't be that hard for a good bodyman
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Swapping VIN tag questions are not allowed on this forum... PERIOD.

Watch the video in this thread posted yesterday.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=827513

LockDoc, Moderator

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 11-05-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Closed Thread