The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #26
AzDon

Re: A/C layout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riveted1 View Post
Had a couple of days with the AC. Outside temps have been around 90 degrees, which we know is nothing around here. Blows nice and cold when I'm driving, and it actually gets chilly when I'm cruising at highway speeds. BUT any kind of stop and go (which is the majority of my driving), and it just doesn't cool well.

Any ideas?
The sanden compressor is designed to work best at high rpm and not so well in slow traffic. It also is designed for relatively small systems (think Jap cars!) On the upside, it doesn't have a big HP requirement.
Changing back to an A6 compressor would probably improved low RPM performance considerably, but it's important that your condensor capacity and airflow are up to the job, as well!
Here's something cheap to try... Eliminate your fan clutch with a solid spacer.
Your truck will sound like there's an airplane under the hood, but it will move some air across the condensor!
AzDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #27
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Ah so it's the Sanden thing again. Oh well, I may just live with it until I can get another A6 on there.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:02 AM   #28
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Ok, so I'm revisiting this. The front seal on the compressor is shot. I think I'd like to attempt putting everything back to stock. I will definitely be buying a new compressor, but other than that and hoses, are there any parts that I should NOT buy used? I've got a friend parting out an A/C truck, so I can get any other parts I need for cheap.

And would it be worth going BACK to r12? Or should I stay with r134?

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #29
Blue Tank

I've been learning about this over the past couple of days myself and hope to wrap it today. I stayed with r12 because of the T fittings to the rear.
My rear unit would blow real cold while the front would be cool. I bought the poa replacement valve and a new Expansion valve along with new lines. The big flex line isn't bent exactly the same from the rear of the POA so the heater hose doesn't fit in between it as good. You better be in a real good mood before you try to get that 3 piece line kit to fit. The grommets that comes with the line kit don't have separate holes for the lines to keep them from rubbing, i reused the old one. I took the center grill support out which lets the grill drop enough so you can change the hard lines.
The new large lines slipped over the t fitting with oil easily, the small ones stopped right after the ridges and wouldn't budge. I bought the hose clamps with the extra strip in them so they don't dig into the hose.
Blue Tank is offline   Reply With Quote