The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2021, 07:39 PM   #1
truckster

Travel Cover Ideas

I'm leaving for a cross-country trip next week, and I just got an email telling me my Softopper (that I ordered way back in April) won't be delivered until after I leave. I'm towing the Blazer behind my motorhome, and I'm concerned about protecting the inside. We're in the middle of a drought, but I know the rest of the country isn't, so I expect we'll run into some rain. I thought about a car cover, but it would come down too far (I'm flat towing) and it might blow off anyway. I really don't want to put the hard top back on, so I'm searching for ideas...
Old 06-21-2021, 07:53 PM   #2
72c20customcamper

Re: Travel Cover Ideas

Do not I repeat do not put any type of cover on it while towing it. Seen way to many cars trucks and motorcycles paint ruined by the cover flapping . No matter how tight you make it it will flap.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:59 PM   #3
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Do not I repeat do not put any type of cover on it while towing it. Seen way to many cars trucks and motorcycles paint ruined by the cover flapping . No matter how tight you make it it will flap.
That's my concern, but a downpour isn't going to do the interior much good, either. Dang Softopper...
Old 06-21-2021, 08:12 PM   #4
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Yikes. You have a predicament. But Mark is right. The cover might do more harm than good and you'll probably lose it.

You might have to bite the bullet and put the hard top back on. And those guys at Softopper are idiots. That's way too long to wait.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:34 PM   #5
truckster

So, I think I'll go with plan D - I haven't installed a carpet kit yet, so I'm mostly concerned about the seats. I'm going to wrap the seats and see if Softopper will deliver to the address I'll be staying at in North Carolina. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:25 AM   #6
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
Yikes. You have a predicament. But Mark is right. The cover might do more harm than good and you'll probably lose it.

You might have to bite the bullet and put the hard top back on. And those guys at Softopper are idiots. That's way too long to wait.
I have also been waiting quite a while for a soft topper. As frustrating as it is it’s not just them. Everything is back ordered. I was told yesterday 14 to 16 weeks for an M and H wiring harness. I’m sure all of these businesses would love to ship tomorrow if they had the material or the people to do the work?
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:42 AM   #7
burnin oil

Unless you have a good enough reason I would just reinstall the hard top. It keeps the weather out and makes it lockable. You would be be surprised what people will try and steal. I had someone steal a trailer ramp from my car hauler at a rest stop and I was only there for a couple minutes. I think the aero may be a little better with the top on also. Probably nothing measurable at the pump but maybe a little more power on a hill. You didn't mention what kind on RV but usually everything that isn't a diesel pusher could use all the help it can get.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:23 AM   #8
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
Unless you have a good enough reason I would just reinstall the hard top. It keeps the weather out and makes it lockable. You would be be surprised what people will try and steal. I had someone steal a trailer ramp from my car hauler at a rest stop and I was only there for a couple minutes. I think the aero may be a little better with the top on also. Probably nothing measurable at the pump but maybe a little more power on a hill. You didn't mention what kind on RV but usually everything that isn't a diesel pusher could use all the help it can get.
Mine is a cat pusher the trailer and truck get sooty after a while . When I tow my convertible Studebaker Lark I use my enclosed trailer . It has a white top real pain to clean
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:25 AM   #9
burnin oil

Maybe adjust the exhaust angle a little would help. My tow vehicle gets a little sooty but the trailer never has an issue. Boat haul cleaner works really well for cleaning fiberglass trailers. Especially baked on bugs or road tar.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #10
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
Maybe adjust the exhaust angle a little would help. My tow vehicle gets a little sooty but the trailer never has an issue. Boat haul cleaner works really well for cleaning fiberglass trailers. Especially baked on bugs or road tar.
Was thinking of moving the exhaust outlet to the side . It now comes out to the back and points down and to the passenger side. I'm sure it was done so you dont blast people as you pass
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:30 PM   #11
truckster

Mine is a FRED - front engine diesel. The exhaust exits in front of the rear wheels.