The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2005, 11:28 PM   #51
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

THAT is the mask I wear...almost! The difference is mine is the newer model PRO style mask. The pro model is dark blue in color and is made of a softer plastic that conforms to the face much better.
That mask in the picture will work just fine, I used that one before the PRO model came out. They are the same size and use the same filter, just the pro model conforms better.

As stated before the pro model is dark blue in color, all others are light gray(as shown in pic)

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:45 AM   #52
Slammed66
Needs a Big Block

thats the one I use as well!
I may go purchase the newer model tho
1972 K10
Slammed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:15 PM   #53
trixter99
I have no time for this

That's the one that I use for welding
1999 Hugger orange Camaro SS
2007 BMW X5 Sport
trixter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:53 PM   #54
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Where can I find a dealer that will let me try one one so i know what size to get? will a regular 3m Paint/Body Supply shop have them and let me try one on?

you can get them on the net and such..but obviosly can't try them on for proper fitment - as seems to be very important in the effectiveness of any respirator
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:19 PM   #55
wolfthing2000
Account Suspended

Slammed, I am glad you found about employers early in life, they will use you and throw you away. I have been in the same position with the " promises" and onan on..................never did one come true..............I even had a guy who couldn't afford his bills so he couldn't give insurance or raises or holi8days etc. He turned around and offered to let me buy into the business!!! HA!!! I guess you know the answer.
I have had a serious back injury on job and ended up getting canned when I refused to take the warning: "yuou better put this on your insurance! We can't afford an on the job accident claim!"

Look out for yourself always! Your boss ( 99% of the time) could give a s***!
wolfthing2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:42 AM   #56
Don Brace

Recently I bought a supplied hood from Granger. URL Granger.com. Item number is 6AT82. Cost was $18.89. I also bought a 25 foot length of sump pump hose from Granger for about $5.00. I connected two sections of shop vac wands using duct tape to the back of the hood. To this I connected the sump pump hose. This is connected to a small 8-10 CFM diafram pump that is located outside the garage when I paint. The hood has a collar that inflates and seals out the paint fumes. This works really well and was cheap. Possibly you could use a shop vac to supply the air. I use this rig to spray two part enamel, base coat and clear coat. I went this route because a reresperator always leaked because of my beard.
Don Brace MN
58 Impalla Coupe
58 Bel-Aire 4D HT
61 Impala CVRT 409 4 SP
2- 71 Longhorns
Always looking for old toy trains, Juke boxes Pin ball and game machines.
Don Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #57
wolfthing2000
Account Suspended

Good info Don!! I am looking into it. If I follow you, the hood must vent out the pumped in air and the exhaled breath. So what you are saying is use the out side of a vaccuum cleaner to deliver the air?? I am not sure if my Sears has that option?? I will have to take a look.
wolfthing2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 08:44 AM   #58
Don Brace

Wolfthing2000
That is correct. If you use a shop vac for the air source, connect the outlet side of the vac to the inlet of the hood. Some vacs do not have a fitting on the outlet so they will not work. My one horse only has a screen but my three horse has a place to hook the hose. This is so it can be used to blow stuff off. If your vac supplies too much air you will need to vent some of the air by putting a hole in the hose. This should be near the vac not where you are painting. The positive pressure in the hood causes the hood to inflate and also exhausts the exhaled breath out the vent.
Don Brace MN
58 Impalla Coupe
58 Bel-Aire 4D HT
61 Impala CVRT 409 4 SP
2- 71 Longhorns
Old 07-17-2005, 12:38 PM   #59
Don Brace

I have attached two pictures of the rig I use as a supplied air hood and one of the the 71 Longhorn I am working on.
Don Brace MN

58 Impalla Coupe
58 Bel-Aire 4D HT
61 Impala CVRT 409 4 SP
2- 71 Longhorns
Old 08-20-2005, 02:20 AM   #60
Musclerodz

Man this thread is depressing, but filled with lots of excellent info. Something only one other person brought up was a suit. Iso's will absorb through your skin so just having a fresh air mask is really not enough because you are still exposed. I have been painting for 15 years and have done a bunch of stupid things in my youth as well. I used to never where a mask when painting laquers or non catalized paints. Now I have a slight nervous twitch and I used to be steady as a rock. Lot of great information about respirators here but don't forget about the suits.

Mike
Old 09-04-2005, 12:57 AM   #61
jakeslim
Premium Level Member

For my current job, I have Plenty of fresh air pumping in and out of the garage. Also, I figured two is better than one and hve attached two filter cartridges on each side of the mask. I screwed in one, then taped(well) the second on top of the first. Worked excellent and not one hint of fumes or anything. In between coats, I exit the work space and wait outside.

77 K5 - 383, auto, 6" lift, D60 front, 14b rear, 39" tsl's,
jakeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:19 AM   #62
al's71gmc
4 eyed fever

Re: What the hell happened?

Something to note about proper fitment of your respirator:
When checking fit, remove filters and lightly seal filter holes with the palms of your hands. If you push too hard it may give you a false seal. With the filter holes plugged you should not be able to draw ANY air in. You should move your head up and down and side to side to make sure the respirator maintains a seal. There are several diff sizes and styles to fit diff shape faces. Get one that fits you. Also when putting your resp. on, give a sharp exhale to clear the exhilation ports. Don't wear your resp. too lose or not only will it be ineffective, but it traps gasses. Examine the exh. ports regularly and replace mask when any damage or wear is seen. Replace cartridges often. They are cheap insurance against long term health problems! Keep facial hair trimmed to maintain a good seal. There are different filters/cartridges for diff. chemicals and particulates. Be sure you use the right filter for the job you're doing.
If you're not using bottled air on a supplied air system, rig a filter element over the air intake hose, in addition to having the unit outside your shop area.
1972 GMC Sierra Grande 1/2 t 4x4-#1 son's truck. Recently completed resto.

4 YO daughter," Daddy, I like your truck better than Mom's." (2000 F350-ranch truck) Smart kid!!

Last edited by al's71gmc; 10-22-2005 at 05:25 AM.
al's71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:43 PM   #63
jgrh64
Prestige member Old Farts Club

Same thing happened to my ex-brother in law but he was spraying some sort of clear coat.Now if he just gets a whiff of auto paint he gets ill.Even if you don't get sick your still poisoning your liver think about that.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:41 AM   #64
1000000to1

Makes a guy think I never wear any thing unless i paint an entire vehicle, I've had it where people can't even stand to come into my garage because of fumes and i don't even notice it. I've probably done a lot of damage almost makes a person wish they could go back in time and not be so stupid.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:40 PM   #65
gferris5

I always wonder what's wrong with those guys on American HotRod (not just for this reason) who will be painting in the booth with a charcoal filter--granted it is a nice filter, but why not use supplied air and have no variables? At Junior college, we were required to wear a full suit and hood when we were in the paint booth, or else we flunked the assignment we were working on.

We were also reminded of the old adage:
"When was the last time you met an old body man?"

Not often....
Old 02-27-2006, 01:19 AM   #66
revn67

i just got outta auto school.............and my instructor definitely said the samething.....there are no old painters.......one of my instructors had problems with his nervous system cause for 12yrs he painted without a mask...which was about 20 yes ago but damn!!! i'm painter at an autobody shop and i wear a natural air suit and i always will....unless i'm using water-based paint which will be the future in paint!!!!!!!
revn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:27 AM   #67
kevs_c10

Isocyanates will saturate the filters on a mask and go through anyway, you smell a sweet smell run like hell. Always have a ton of air movement; your mask is your LAST line of defense! That Sh*t WILL kill you! I've got a can of acrylic urethane for my truck w/ the isocyanates hardener, I'm planning to shoot outside, with fans, and I've got a full face mask.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:46 PM   #68
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...TOOL&ihtoken=1

You will need a big faced helmet or have to modify yours to get it to fit. Don't just cut it but fab it to fit under the plastic mask. Use some black RTV to seal the seams. I did this to mine and get the big mask under it. I used the bottom of a cheap $20 mask to extend the bottom of my Nextgen
Attached Images

dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:05 AM   #69
MARTINSR

That mask isn't a welding mask is it?

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #70
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

I figured my life is worth more than a filter cartridge, and splurged on a HobbyAir I with the half mask, hood, and a full suit. I plan on painting more than just the 68 or the motorcycles (already did Momma's motorcycle this weekend), so the cost was justified to me.

Also, fourteen years in the fire service kinda drilled me into breathing clean air when in a contaminated environment.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:05 PM   #71
rtsmith

Hey guys just another thought to look at a lot of paints can also have chemicals that are absorbed through the skin you should also wear a protective paint suit. I learned this the hard way years ago.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:12 AM   #72
tcoop68
tcoop68

I have painted for years and have used the fresh air system,if you really love to paint you should get one at any cost.I have had mine 18 years and it still works fine,just make sure you install the pump in a area that is in fresh air only and change filters on pump, and try to use a gravity fed gun it uses a small amount of air pressure and plus will save you money in paint,[ less overspray] goodluck in the future.
tcoop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:19 AM   #73
BigDan3131

Im have been a custom painter for over ten years and wearing a paint suit helps but you need earplugs and either a full hood or something breathable for your eyes. POR-15 doesnt have iso-cyanates in it. The only time there is that stuff is if you add a hardener to it. The other thing nobody has mentioned is when your done using your 3M mask is to put it in a sealed bag. It keeps filtering unless you seal it off.
On a side note, take two Vitamin E tablets one hour before painting to help your body remove anything it absorbes when painting.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #74
69polecat

My .02,
Air purifying resperators (APR) only filter contaminates out of the air. You should be able to smell, taste, or feel eye iritation (warning property) at a very low exposure to the chemical that is not dangerous to your health to use one. This is how you know that your filter has breakthrough and should be replaced.(prior to being exposed to high dosage that could be harmful)
Most filters are to be used for one shift of work and then disposed of. Is it worth the few dollars you save to reuse them?
A garage without proper ventilation becomes a confined space once you start spraying. There is no longer enough oxygen in the air to filter it, even if you are wearing proper mask and filters.
This is where suplied air comes into use. Proper ventilation is very important because you can also create a fire hazard by trapping fumes.
You are the only one who can protect yourself. Make good decisions for yourself and your loved ones.
Good thread bringing saftey awareness to others.

Play safe guys
69polecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:09 PM   #75
salazar44
65 - Chevy C10

man... this sucks. the 3m website has a web program that will show you the appropiate mask to use for any chemical and work conditions. hope this helps.

time to check if im using the right mask!!!

I have some brown spots (puss) under my finger tips. my finger tips are cracking and peeling. I think it may be from getting body filler or something on my skin. It sucks cause its my first shot at DIY auto painting!
salazar44 is offline   Reply With Quote