The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

90 GMC Sierra Fuel Tank

How the crap do you pull the fuel tank on a 90 GMC sierra. Its an extra cab long box 4x4??? Ive been at It for an hour and a half now and I just got the bolts loose. Now I have both straps removed and the filler hose removed. Its just floating there. Ive looked around and a little and I cant seem to find a write up on this. Is it not just that simple or am I a special case? Any help and especially pics would be appreciated. maybe a pic from the top with the bed removed? Thanks in advance everyone.

BTW Im pulling the tank to replace the fuel pump.
blazerboy_4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
tommie
97' Tahoe 2dr/2wd

Re: 90 GMC Sierra Fuel Tank

i prefer to remove the bed (move the bed back) to access the fuel pump with the tank in place.... that's the only way I have done it....
tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

IIRC, the fuel lines are h0olding it, you'll have to support the tank and disconnect the lines, then you can lower the tank. The lines have a disconnect built in a couple inches from where they go in yhe tank.

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.

Last edited by TennesseeZ; 05-16-2012 at 12:23 AM.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

I keep hearing to pull the bed but I dont have an impact gun at the momtent. It seems like more than fuel lines. I can pull myself off the ground and the tank doesnt move. There is nothing else besides the straps, fuel lines and filler neck??
Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Finally had a chance to work on the truck again today. Got the fuel pump replaced. I found the easiest way to replace it was to remove the muffler. Removing the bed proved to be a pain in the @$$ because most of the bolts were rusted and were too difficult to access. I have to replace my muffler anyway so this ended up being a necessary step. Once I had the muffler out I could sit next to the drive line and reach everything very easily. The issue I was having before turned out to be rubber pads that sit on top of the tank between the frame and tank. In 175,000 miles the fuel pump has never been replaced so when I removed the straps the tank was literally sticking to the frame by these pads. I found this out by leaving it supported by two temp tie down straps that I put in place to support the tank and make it easier to drop. I left it overnight and when I came out the next day the tank was resting nicely about a half inch lower and hanging free. I think Ill do a better write up on this later as this seems difficult information to find for such a simple task. Hopefully it will help out someone else in the future.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
IIRC, the fuel lines are h0olding it, you'll have to support the tank and disconnect the lines, then you can lower the tank. The lines have a disconnect built in a couple inches from where they go in yhe tank.
The fuel lines provide no support for the tank. I actually didn't have to disconnect anything to replace the pump.