The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2022, 11:44 AM   #1
Yamariv

How to activate the stock washer pump?

Hey guys, how does the stock washer pump get activated, is it through the wiper switch somehow?

Reason I ask, is the PO of my truck added a button on the dash to activate the pump (which doesn't work either) and I have no idea how the pump was originally activated. The wipers do work, but seem to only have a low setting on the switch.

Cheers

Upgrades: Power Steering
3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
Power Brakes (Incoming!!..)
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Yamariv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 01:10 PM   #2
pjmoreland

Re: How to activate the stock washer pump?

You push and hold the wiper knob forward to activate the washer. Then you pray that the pump hasn't lost its prime.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 01:12 PM   #3
Yamariv

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
You push and hold the wiper knob forward to activate the washer. Then you pray that the pump hasn't lost its prime.
So push the knob in? Or rotate it to the far right?

3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Old 12-04-2022, 01:14 PM   #4
pjmoreland

The knob does need to be rotated as well so that the wipers are going, but the knob should rotate automatically when you push it. It doesn't have to be all the way to the far right fast setting. The slow setting works.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:16 PM   #5
pjmoreland

The original washer pump does not perform very well. Here's an excellent solution to that problem. S10 trucks are easy to find in wrecking yards these days.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587726
Old 12-04-2022, 01:22 PM   #6
Yamariv

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
The knob does need to be rotated as well so that the wipers are going, but the knob should rotate automatically when you push it. It doesn't have to be all the way to the far right fast setting. The slow setting works.
Awesome, didn't realize the button pushed in! I'll try that and report back. I'm sure it doesn't work cause there's an aftermarket pushbutton right beside that the PO put in.

Thanks for the thread link, sounds like a mid 90s full size truck washer bottle and pump work cleaner. Is that still the consensus vs the S10?

3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Old 12-04-2022, 01:25 PM   #7
dmjlambert

When you push the knob in, you will notice the knob will turn itself to the low speed on position. You can wash the windows by pushing the knob in when the wipers are on low or high speed. If the stock washer/wiper switch does not work, you can remove it from the truck, take it apart and clean it up, and put it back together. The case is just crimped in a couple places to hold the back on and you can use hammer and punch, pliers, vise, etc. to work on it. There is a spring in there so take it apart gently so you can see how it goes back together. There are 3 terminal on it that short to ground (outer case) depending on the switch position and whether the knob is being pressed. When the knob is not being pressed and in the counter clockwise off position, none of the 3 terminals are short to ground. Here is some discussion on testing: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413551
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 01:39 PM   #8
Yamariv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
When you push the knob in, you will notice the knob will turn itself to the low speed on position. You can wash the windows by pushing the knob in when the wipers are on low or high speed. If the stock washer/wiper switch does not work, you can remove it from the truck, take it apart and clean it up, and put it back together. The case is just crimped in a couple places to hold the back on and you can use hammer and punch, pliers, vise, etc. to work on it. There is a spring in there so take it apart gently so you can see how it goes back together. There are 3 terminal on it that short to ground (outer case) depending on the switch position and whether the knob is being pressed. When the knob is not being pressed and in the counter clockwise off position, none of the 3 terminals are short to ground. Here is some discussion on testing: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413551
Awesome, I'll check that out! Thanks again for your help and write up dmjlambert!

3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Old 12-04-2022, 08:41 PM   #9
67C10Step

On my 67 the switch worked and the pump ran but didn't pump no matter what I tried. Knowing that even if I did get it fixed it wouldn't work really great I went the S10 route. This tank and pump fits a 1993 S10.
You will have to re-plump your hoses. The larger one was the suction to the inside pump and then two hoses out to the ends under the cowl. I re-plumbed with larger hose to a splitter and then two smaller hose runs to the ends. Also, I built a wiring harness that used the existing connection to the old pump and ran it out one of the holes that was previously used by one of the washer hoses.
Attached Images

2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote