The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2022, 11:02 AM   #1
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Unhappy Entertaining Selling my Truck :'(

72 C10 Cheyenne 350 / TH350 LWB

I am coming up to a decision, I think, to sell my truck. I'd love to have some opinions on starting price and floor price.

So lets start with what I know about the pre-history, which really isn't much. I bought the truck April 2020 locally to me off Craigslist. I want to say the seller had it roughly 5 years and he was told the truck went through some level of "restoration" 10 years before. He didn't do much to the truck in his ownership, other than replacing the bench seat with buddy seats and a off the self carb.

Before I get into some of the things I have done to the truck, lets point out the very bad stuff I know.
  • Both doors have rust problems starting at the bottom outside (bubbling) and around the bottom under the curved area. Doesn't matter how bad the rust is, its there and either it needs to be dealt with (no small task) ... or not.
  • Various places around the drip rail is cracking and can tell rust is beginning.
  • Tailgate came to me with a big dent and I replaced it. The tailgate is the best repo I could find and the outer trim is from Pauls. The paint doesn't match perfectly (still really pissed about this).

The truck is "stock-ish" but not at all stock. I took liberties, as I saw fit for me but I tried to stay faithful to the truck. I also did my best to source parts from the best places and not places like Brother's but not always, that was a learning curve for me.

Now on to some highlights (5k-ish of miles on the truck since I got her - I know I rolled over the milage a few months back)
  • Stock 350 & TH350 total rebuild (dizzy timing via iPhone / Smart device).
  • Proper 72 C10 Carb and professionally rebuilt & tuned for engine rebuild.
  • Gas Tank pulled, cleaned and seal.
  • Stock frontend rebuild and added sway bar
  • A/C Converted to R134 - all parts from condenser to evaporator replaced
  • Complete LED conversion inside/outside of the truck, with relays for the headlights.
  • New Shocks
  • New Tires, including in Bed spare with NOS lock
  • Tilt Column replacement, shorten sourced from these forums
  • Bluetooth Hands Free Radio, with dash and kick panel speakers. Can connect directly to iPhone (digitally or Headphone jack)
  • Tach Upgrade
  • Back Window Slider
  • Bed Rails
  • Tint Windows
  • Refurbished Vent Windows (sourced from forums) & replaced door window seals.
  • Wood Trim on Cluster and Glove box are not correct for the Cheyenne, I did this because I wanted to. I am not trying to pass it off as a Cheyenne Super!
  • There are other little bits and bobs I have added and/or replaced.

Some may say put her on BAT but I am not going to fool with that, I'll list it locally and just wait it out.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 12-03-2022 at 12:19 PM.
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 11:03 AM   #2
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Entertaining Selling my Truck :'(

A few more photos.
Attached Images

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 12-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #3
yuccales

Such a good looking truck! I like your honest pros/cons list about your ride. Shows you are honest, which should help in your sale. Someone is going to get a nice truck!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 12:13 PM   #4
72c20customcamper

Very nice truck I'll be following this thread
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 12:18 PM   #5
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Thank you!

There isn't any doubt in my mine that all I have done is going coming back to me. I didn't do all the things I did thinking I'll be getting it back, I did it because I wanted to and I had fun.

Heck, aside from the problems I listed there are no other problems / tasks really to be done. Granted that is coming from my POV but I haven't anything else I want to do to the truck. Though I have bounced in my head Over Drive, Gas Task under the bed, and period correct curse control.

Old 12-03-2022, 12:22 PM   #6
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

FYI: I am hoping to get some prices thrown out too - for the record ;-)

Old 12-03-2022, 01:19 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

That's a real nice truck, and a bummer for having to sell. GLWS

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 01:34 PM   #8
MikeandCheryl

IMHO - for a vehicle that isn't a potential for a nice period perfect rebuild, anything less than 5K is in reality, a vehicle needing to be parted out. there will be mechanical, electrical, and bodywork needed - perhaps some frame work if you are lucky! You might get your money back from parting the stuff out, but you can also end up with a long term, garage filled hobby. From 5K - 10K you might own a vehicle that is complete, but in rough shape and may or may not be road worthy. 10-15K gets you a much nicer vehicle with some newer parts, is drive-able, and would be a great candidate for restoration. Above 15K the nice improves, and the stuff needing replacement fades somewhat. Now you enter the area where some nice touches are evident - better transmission, some engine treats, better paint, performance goodies, perhaps. Here is where the price becomes murky. If the truck remains stock to the bones, the prices rise dramatically. If the truck is a replica of an era, with some modern touches, the value is vague, but nostalgia juts in - 'I rode in this truck with my grandma' - that sort of thing.
Your truck looks great and I can only compare it to the one in pieces in my garage. Mine falls into the Category 1 level. Without a solid repair period, the value is it's scrap value in weight - maybe 350$. parts - who knows? repaired - perhaps into the 5-10K range, a little nicer - maybe 15K. But that's just me, and what I glean off these pages and social media.
Good luck.
MikeandCheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:22 PM   #9
72SB

OP

You can look up what a 72 LB is selling for on Hemmings, ebay, etc that are comparable condition of yours to see what the "market" is now. C10's are "popular" now and have been so do bring a little more $.

SB typically more than LB given everything is =

While you are candid about rust in doors and drip rail...that can be a hit on $

I don't want to say how much but I would think $20 would be the neighborhood +/-. List it for the higher $ and go from there but IMHO just look up comparable for a more accurate current market value
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:55 PM   #10
68 C10 Driver

Given what I see in the photos, and that there is a little rust on the doors (looks as if that is inside-bottom are easily touched-up without damaging exterior paint), I would say no less than $20k. The rain gutters can be repaired, hopefully the rust you see is just surface rust. My truck was nowhere as nice and the seam sealer around the rain gutters was cracked, you could see rust. Cleaned out old seam seal, removed surface rust, and a careful repaint/blend into the roof should net great results. My truck sat outside for 15 years in Georgia before I rescued it.

I think your truck is a gem.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:41 AM   #11
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
OP

You can look up what a 72 LB is selling for on Hemmings, ebay, etc that are comparable condition of yours to see what the "market" is now. C10's are "popular" now and have been so do bring a little more $.

SB typically more than LB given everything is =

While you are candid about rust in doors and drip rail...that can be a hit on $

I don't want to say how much but I would think $20 would be the neighborhood +/-. List it for the higher $ and go from there but IMHO just look up comparable for a more accurate current market value
In today's market being in the same location I would agree with this being a fair deal. Worse condition has brought much more.

Last edited by Richard; 12-04-2022 at 04:47 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:33 AM   #12
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Thanks for the input so far.

The rain gutters don't look like a serious issue but rust itself is serious for our trucks. I posted about this here

I tend to watch how our trucks sell around my area. Granted I only see how much they are listed for, not what they sold for. I often times think, that truck can't sell for that price but then a few days later it isn't listed anymore.

Now that I have shared my thoughts with a few family members, I am being flamed. One conversation felt like it was a "intervention" on not selling LOL

Old 12-04-2022, 08:09 AM   #13
tutone

I wouldn't put a lot of thought in our opinions on the value if your truck. It's worth more to you than anyone else. The old saying, "everything has a number", may be true. 20k seems low, especially when you walk on a lot full of plastc trucks for 60k plus. I have took my ugly 71 to 3 shows since I finished it early this summer. At each show, there was somebody wanting to buy it. I was offered stupid money in my opinion, but price is relative. Some advice given to me by my 79 year old friend of many years.
"Be careful opening your mouth and pricing your (truck), if it's got curb appeal, cause you don't know who you're dealing with. Big money to you might be chump change to them"
And the other one was. Before you sell
Have someone drive away from the driveway with it as if it was the last time you would ever see it. See how that feels in your gut. I still have a couple of vehicles that I did that with. Helped me make up my mind.
Good luck to you, no matter what you decide.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:25 AM   #14
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
I wouldn't put a lot of thought in our opinions on the value if your truck. It's worth more to you than anyone else. The old saying, "everything has a number", may be true. 20k seems low, especially when you walk on a lot full of plastc trucks for 60k plus. I have took my ugly 71 to 3 shows since I finished it early this summer. At each show, there was somebody wanting to buy it. I was offered stupid money in my opinion, but price is relative. Some advice given to me by my 79 year old friend of many years.
"Be careful opening your mouth and pricing your (truck), if it's got curb appeal, cause you don't know who you're dealing with. Big money to you might be chump change to them"
And the other one was. Before you sell
Have someone drive away from the driveway with it as if it was the last time you would ever see it. See how that feels in your gut. I still have a couple of vehicles that I did that with. Helped me make up my mind.
Good luck to you, no matter what you decide.
Very good advise all around - getting paired with the right buyer would be the best outcome. Heck, some items I have bought I am sure the seller thought "this guy has to be nuts" but I had my personal reasons to get x item before some one else did.

I do thank you for saying "20k seems low" but that isn't to say I don't disagree with what the others have said. Though I don't think I should be posting her at a starting price at 20K either ;-)

I am not in "fire sale" mode here at all. I am not even on the fence about selling, only kind of looking at the fence. Hopefully that analogy makes some sense.

Old 12-04-2022, 09:03 AM   #15
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Here is one example that has been listed for a bit it seems. If this guy can list this truck for 40k... well to me so many yellow flags, if not red ones. Needless to say, I don't want to be a seller like this - ever. Then again, throwing out a high number like this, I guess, is just to get the conversation going?

1972 Chevrolet C10 pickup v8 long bed immaculate.

Old 12-04-2022, 09:06 AM   #16
72SB

You can always list it for what you "think" it's worth or would take for it minus the usual "back & forth" negotiation. The usual $xx,xxx OBO type of listing. If you get what you are comfortable with, great. Otherwise a CL or Ebay listing is simple
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 08:10 PM   #17
72-CH

I wouldn't let it go for less than 35K on a bad day here in North Texas. The truck is beautiful with a lot of attention to detail. I seriously doubt the rust mentioned would be an issue for years to come and would be more than likely fairly inexpensive to fix and blend in if repaired in the grand scheme of price paid for the truck and it's over all current condition.

Just my 2 cents
72-CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:40 PM   #18
70chevytruck

Just bring it back and park it in my driveway... I will refund your money. )

70chevytruck
70chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:48 PM   #19
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I am sure you would James - nice try ;-)

@72-CH, I do agree it would be sometime before the rust would be serious - other than rust in itself is a serious matter. Especially more so if she stayed a garage queen and fair weather driver (as she has been).

Old 12-06-2022, 08:48 AM   #20
'70_402

spend the $30 post it on C10Sales on instagram for $20k and see where it goes from there.
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:05 AM   #21
Jason Banks

If you're gonna go C10Sales on Instagram, better start at $50k and have him leave the comments on.

Based on what I've seen for sale, I don't think I take any less than $20k for that truck, probably get more than that.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:15 AM   #22
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Naw, not really looking to use that service (I don't even Facebook, much less Instagram) but I do appreciate the information. I have my reasons for not using/feeding Social Media services but it isn't I am not capable.

If I was to sell at 20k it would be because of the conversation with buyer and likely face to face. Also I think I'd be in "fire sale" mode at the 20k and certainly below 20k. Which "fire sale" mode isn't even on my radar!

Old 12-06-2022, 10:38 AM   #23
cj847

I'll just say, it's a lot easier to buy one of these trucks than to sell it.
I recently sold my 71 LB truck that was in similar condition. It was not quite as nice and it had a GMC title (but had the chevy front clip and tailgate). Had nice paint all around but had some bubbles on the inside bottom of doors. Interior was nice. I listed it for $20k and got no response. Took it to a large car show with a for sale sign on it (2500-3000 cars). Two dealers stopped and offered $14,500. A couple of other people acted really interested at $18k but never showed up with any cash. Ended up taking $16,500 a couple of weeks later.
All in I think my truck was probably worth 2k-2.5k less than yours. I hope you get more, but I think $20k is a good price.
It sounds like you are not sure about selling. I my mind that means don't sell it. If I had the room and the money I would keep all my old vehicles. I "had" to sell one of my classics due to driveway space (and of course a wife). Otherwise, I would still have it.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:27 PM   #24
LNP

When comparing to ads posted on Craigslist or Ebay one big thing to keep in mind is you can ask whatever price you want but that doesnt mean it will sell. If you're going to look on there for direction then pick a few out and see if they actually sell and for how much. CL truck might be asking 40k but will it ever sell. The post was made 25 days ago so just keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Course I understand if you need cash and cant wait but if you're not in a hurry you can see what they sell for price yours above that and let them hash out the price. Good Luck to ya.

1969 Chevy C-10 Long Bed, 350cid, 700R4
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote