The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2016, 07:13 PM   #1
Clavo106

Help on engine kit gasket set

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....nid=459&jpid=2 need some help on a engine gasket set . My trucks a 1970 c10 1/2 but parts have been swap.. engine in it now is from date stamp is a 1968 327 5.3 with 80's 305 heads and th400 trans my plain is just to replace the seals engine and trans.run great check compression.. only thing is used some oil but its on the exhaust valve seals.. so im trying to get a kit that will fit all my needs to get the job done..Im not taring down the hole block just the heads and outer seal that I can get to.. I think this kit mite work... but would like some input thanks.
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
B. W.

Re: Help on engine kit gasket set

For what it's worth, if it were me, I'd just replace the gaskets that are leaking (I know that sounds obvious!) On small blocks the most common leaks are valve cover gaskets, start with these. oil pan may be leaking? The front & rear gaskets on the intake are notorious also (most just use a bead of RTV here instead of the supplied gaskets, myself included) I prefer Permatex Ultra Black RTV or Right Stuff (the later being more expensive & more difficult to remove but also does a great job) It's worth your time to replace the valve stem seals too, if the engine blows blue smoke after sitting overnite but then cleans up, the valve stem seals are leaking & need replaced. I prefer Fel-Pro gaskets but that's just me. So, in other words, you may not need a complete gasket set, you can just buy the ones you need. Hope this helps. If you want specific part numbers I'll be glad to get them for you.

Bobby
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #3
Clavo106

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
For what it's worth, if it were me, I'd just replace the gaskets that are leaking (I know that sounds obvious!) On small blocks the most common leaks are valve cover gaskets, start with these. oil pan may be leaking? The front & rear gaskets on the intake are notorious also (most just use a bead of RTV here instead of the supplied gaskets, myself included) I prefer Permatex Ultra Black RTV or Right Stuff (the later being more expensive & more difficult to remove but also does a great job) It's worth your time to replace the valve stem seals too, if the engine blows blue smoke after sitting overnite but then cleans up, the valve stem seals are leaking & need replaced. I prefer Fel-Pro gaskets but that's just me. So, in other words, you may not need a complete gasket set, you can just buy the ones you need. Hope this helps. If you want specific part numbers I'll be glad to get them for you.

Bobby
Yep that's was the plan I do also prefer ultra black and the right stuff.. i was quoted $190 for all my gasket at my local gm dealer.the only thing I bought from them was $20 Axel seals..but did not want to pay $190 for some gaskets and seals..lol.. I just dont know if the set im looking at has the correct valve seal..since it being 80's 305 heads... how I looked it up was 1968 c10 327 engine gasket kit.. and that what came up.. I still need a input and out put seals on my th400 trans.. to call it good.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
B. W.

Valve stem seals should be the same. Almost all SBC's used 11/32 stems with few exceptions.

Bobby
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #5
Clavo106

Kool.. good to know... i will place a order for the kit
Old 07-28-2016, 04:07 PM   #6
Gromit

A couple seals I would check would the one on the dipstick and the one on the oil filter adaptor; both should be cheap (though the oil filter adaptor one seems hard to find; maybe the dipstick one too, since I just bought a new dipstick instead of hunting for the seal).. photos attached..

I never did find a torque for the oil filter adaptor bolts; so I just used a standard torque chart for that size and thread pitch..

These two seals or gaskets are often overlooked.

That is the Allstar performance version of the oil filter adaptor in the photo - 1/3 the price of the GM one.

I don't know anything about the 327 except that it is very similar to my 350 so I hope this still makes sense.
Attached Images

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote