The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
terd ferguson

'55 2nd series ignition wiring question...

My wiring is all stock, but it's a big mess. I'm going to rewire the entire truck, but not for a couple of weeks. I'd like to get it driving again in the meantime.

Here's some background info...

I've got lots of issues with brittle, broken and corroded wires. But I drove the truck for a week before it started running rough. I did a tune up with new coil, condenser, points, and rotor. The cap, plugs and wires looked new, so I left them.

My issue is definately in the wiring. I'm getting good gas and had good spark when I could still start it. Now the starter won't turn the engine. No click, no noise, no nothing. The battery is good. The wiring from the battery to the starter is good. The wiring to the coil seems questionable. More on that with some questions below.

First the starter, I bought a new starter switch today, but haven't installed it. I think this will cure the starting issues (I hope). Here's the first question. There's a nut on the side of the starter switch. Is there supposed to be a wire attached here? There was not one when I got the truck and it was running.

Now to the coil. I had an old timer experienced with these 235s tell me there is supposed to be a resistor on the firewall. My truck didn't have it. According to him, the wire comes out of the firewall, goes through the resistor, and then to the coil. Is this correct? Again, the truck ran fine without it before.

Also, with regards to the coil wiring, the loom coming out of the firewall from the ignition switch to the coil has three wires going nowhere. One is green, two are black. Purple is to the coil. Another black wire goes to the starter switch. Any idea where these extra wires are supposed to go?

Also if anyone has a wiring diagram for under the hood, that would help me immensely. And as always, thanks in advance for any help and thanks for this great forum.

1955 2nd Series Chevy "King Of Trucks"
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: '55 2nd series ignition wiring question...

I have one but can post because the attacher deal is down. Look at this thread its in one of my replys there:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=362588

Are you using the foot starter switch or has it been converted to a key starter switch? You definately need a resistor. There are two wires to the coil one supplys full voltage for starting (to counter act draw from the starter motor), the second goes through the resistor for regular running.

LMK if you want a bigger version of the diagram. PM me and I can send you the large files.

Last edited by OrrieG; 10-16-2009 at 06:23 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
terd ferguson

Re: '55 2nd series ignition wiring question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I have one but can post because the attacher deal is down. Look at this thread its in one of my replys there:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=362588

Are you using the foot starter switch or has it been converted to a key starter switch? You definately need a resistor. There are two wires to the coil one supplys full voltage for starting (to counter act draw from the starter motor), the second goes through the resistor for regular running.

LMK if you want a bigger version of the diagram. PM me and I can send you the large files.
I still have the foot starter switch. There is only one wire going to the coil now from the firewall. And then one wire from the coil to the distributor. Like I said, there are three wires out of the loom coming through the firewall from the ignition switch that are just cut and hanging. But it ran that way for a week.

Thanks for the diagram. I'm going to take a look at it and see what I can figure out.

1955 2nd Series Chevy "King Of Trucks"
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote