The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
Trvr_lumsden

Need opinions.

Im 23 and I just enlisted in the Army(Field Artillery). My question is, I have a 1973 GMC 1/2ton Long Bed. It has quite a few problems body wise. Due to rust it needs new front fenders, cab corners, Drivers side floor boards, and door skins both sides. The hood has a few dents and dings, the drivers side rear fender needs replaced due to whiskey dent(PO). The truck leaks oil, tranny fluid, and anti-freeze. So this truck needs quite a bit of work. I am thinking about selling it, I already contacted the PO and he said he wants to buy it back. I already have another vehicle that is my DD. So selling is what im thinking would be best right now, buy another when I'm out. What do you guys think, sell or keep?
Trvr_lumsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Reuben

Re: Need opinions.

First of all, congratulations. I'm Active Duty Artillery and currently stationed where you are headed to, Fort Sill, OK. What is your MOS?

About the truck... If you have that much doubt, just sell it! The DFW area has an abundance of square bodies that you could get once you find out where you may be stationed. Definitely let the PO take back a problematic truck.
Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
VA72C10
VA72C10

Thank you for your service!!!!!

If the PO wants it and it's a price that works for you I'd definitely do it and look for one with a better body next time.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I did basic a Ft.Sill, but let's not talk about when that was, OK?

Welcome, I agree, there are plenty of good squares here in DFW, I would just save my $ and keep looking for what you want and jump on it when you come back.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Trvr_lumsden

Im 13D, basic at Ft. Benning, GA, AIT at Ft, Sill, OK. I ship on May,9( Dads b-day). On another note, I was checking out c-list and found my previous square.http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/2213706004.html The motor was a 454, but blew when a crank cap went through the side of the oil pan. Once I get stationed I will be back behind the wheel of a new square. Thanks for the advice. Ruben, How do you like field artillery? I wanted aircraft mechanic but didnt have any available.
Trvr_lumsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Reuben

Man, I've been at it for ten years now. The Army is what you make of it. I have been all around the world and got to experience a lot of things. You definitely "pay the price" so to speak some days, but overall I wouldn't have it any other way.

I was a 13M. That has a lot to do with missiles and rockets. You will be dealing with fire direction control of howitzers. I recently became a Field Artillery Warrant Officer so I'm now considered a "subject matter expert" on all things artillery... Let me tell ya, it's a complicated process!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
I did basic a Ft.Sill, but let's not talk about when that was, OK?

Welcome, I agree, there are plenty of good squares here in DFW, I would just save my $ and keep looking for what you want and jump on it when you come back.
Haha... Were the starships built then???
Old 02-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
tucsonjwt

Ditto to thanks for doing what most of us won't/can't do to defend the U.S.
Regarding the truck - sell it. Rust is way more trouble than it is worth to fix, and rust free squares are all over the southwest. You will likely get dented/faded trucks, but they are a lot easier to deal with. $2- $3K gets a good project, $4-$5K gets a nice driver. A rebuilt 350 and rebuilt trans makes a reliable truck, assuming brakes/tires, etc. are OK. Working A/C is a big bonus in the hot climates - I would not be without it. Good Luck.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote