The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
mango

Lift kit and frame problems?

I am building a 69 swb stepside chevy 4x4 k10 with a 6 inch skyjacker lift. I have a 70 cab and 69 front end and box (asuming they are basicly the same from 69-72) but I am running a 67 swb 4x4 frame. The question I have is what exactly is the differences between the 67 frame and the other years? I know about the power stearing box dimple and found out the hard way that the body mounts are different, but when I put the bed and lift on i found out the rear axle was about 3 inches too far forward. So I ended up having to relocate the front spring perches back to center the wheel I go the rear wheel wells. Now I am noticing that the front axle is also too far forward by about an inch and a half and has to be relocated back to center the axle in the wheel well. Also I can turn the wheels right untill the tie rod hits the diff cover but they only turn left a little bit before the stearing box limits out. If anyone has any info or has lifted a 67 and has any advice I would appreciate anything you've got. As of now I am looking for a 69-72 swb 4x4 frame to do a swap if I have to.
mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
Gene

Re: Lift kit and frame problems?

You sure you have a 67 frame? Body mounts should all be the same no matter what year. Now bushings are another story. Also, springs are narrower in 67 than other years.

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
RPBurris

Got any pics of the frame? I agree with Gene, sounds like the frame may be a 77 and not a 67? I have a 69 on a 78 frame by the previous owner. Not lifted but still has some issues. I have read on the board here before that a lift kit will often change the location of your rear axle and pull it forward an inch or two. I would double check all the dimensions of your new springs to make sure that you both received the right springs and ordered the correct ones as well. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
silverbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPBurris View Post
I have read on the board here before that a lift kit will often change the location of your rear axle and pull it forward an inch or two. I would double check all the dimensions of your new springs to make sure that you both received the right springs and ordered the correct ones as well. Good luck!
I ran into a similar situation several years back. The replacement springs did not have the axle location in the right place and when we bolted everything up the axles were not centered in the opening. We had to remove the new spring and go back to the vendor with better dimension and we were able to find a set that worked better.
2010 Suburban 1500 4x4 5.3l/6L80e. Sold
2016 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 6.0l/6L80e
silverbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
mango

The reason I am thinking it is a 67 frame is because mostly because it has no dimple for a power stearing pump. As far as spring width I am not sure because I bought the frame totally bare with no springs so all I have is the skyjacker lift springs. And now that I get to thinking about the body mounts, the reason I had to use the shorter body bushings was probibly because is was a 2wd cab from a c30 camper. I will try to get some pics up tonight. Thanks guys!
mango is offline   Reply With Quote