The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2023, 08:03 PM   #1
pdxhall

bed wood finish

I'm getting ready to finish the new bed wood for my truck. I have planned on using an oil based spar urethane but what about the oil based polyurethane?
I welcome any opinions or advice. The wood is white oak. Thanks

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 08:27 PM   #2
Arne

Re: bed wood finish

I used water-based satin spar poly on mine.

覧覧覧覧覧覧
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 11:55 PM   #3
cwcarpenter98

I went with a spar urethane. Pretty sure I did that because it's supposed to hold up better to the sun/outdoors and my truck sits outside 24/7

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 06:06 AM   #4
1restorick

I used a spar urethane from Total Boat company. Ended up applying 9 coats top and bottom to some black walnut boards. It was some significant labor to achieve a glass smooth finish.
Attached Images

Last edited by 1restorick; 08-06-2023 at 06:11 AM.
1restorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 06:16 AM   #5
1restorick

Here is a current picture of my truck. I have made many upgrades over the years and love to drive it as well. Replacing the bed wood was a dream for many years. Finally did it.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2023, 12:46 AM   #6
Nevada51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1restorick View Post
I used a spar urethane from Total Boat company. Ended up applying 9 coats top and bottom to some black walnut boards. It was some significant labor to achieve a glass smooth finish.
Wow, impressive finish! A job where you can see the reward pay off...vs trying to unbolt all the original nuts from the original bolts. That is a job in which very few can sympathize with regarding the amount of time required!

I'm on the verge of doing my boards and am going with an oil (Cutek Extreme CD50, assuming the sample pot finish looks ok when I do it in the coming weeks), so a different finish but I didn't want to worry about damaging the finish when I put stuff in the bed, and mine sits out in the elements 24/7.
Nevada51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 06:57 AM   #7
1restorick

Your idea of using Cutex is a good one. The ability to use the bed and to be able to easily recoat the wood is worthwhile. I am afraid to even haul a cardboard box now that my wood is finished like a piece of furniture. Best of luck and please share the results!!

Rick
Old 08-11-2023, 10:53 PM   #8
Angrywood

i did the same thing a couple years back. used boiled linseed oil on the wood first figuring it would get it more life. then stained it and used spar urethane. put a solid coat of carnuba wax on top and after one year i got the dreaded white haze. couldnt find anything on how to deal with that. i eventually lightly sanded it with a green colored scotch brite scour pad. got most of the haze off as i wasnt pressing to hard.

i think what ill do next is use the poppys pantina product on the wood. if that doesnt keep it fresh looking im going to spray it with black paint and be done.

truck sits outside all the time and dont want to replace the wood ever again. that was a pain in the ass...

good luck to you
Angrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 02:15 AM   #9
Nevada51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrywood View Post
dont want to replace the wood ever again. that was a pain in the ass...

good luck to you
Is that where your username comes from lol

I hear you. I'm doing mine from scratch, so no bedwood kit. This makes it challenging when you have to makeshift stuff to make the cuts, routs, drill holes, wheel well cut outs etc...and I'm a bit particular about stuff even if it never gets seen by anyone else. So far it is way more work than I had thought...and I haven't even laid one bit of bedwood yet!

Sorry, I've hijacked the original thread. I'll post some pics in a separate thread when I start tackling it in earnest.
Nevada51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 04:51 PM   #10
Angrywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada51 View Post
Is that where your username comes from lol

I hear you. I'm doing mine from scratch, so no bedwood kit. This makes it challenging when you have to makeshift stuff to make the cuts, routs, drill holes, wheel well cut outs etc...and I'm a bit particular about stuff even if it never gets seen by anyone else. So far it is way more work than I had thought...and I haven't even laid one bit of bedwood yet!

Sorry, I've hijacked the original thread. I'll post some pics in a separate thread when I start tackling it in earnest.
haha no i was angry way before i tackled this. It was alot of work but was fun. peace and quiet doing hands on work. took awhile to do but well worth the accomplishment
Angrywood is offline   Reply With Quote