The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2022, 05:19 PM   #1
scott123

reached a serious road block

I bought this 72 Blazer a few years ago on a killer deal. It is pretty much complete with the exception of a little body water and paint. I have put that off for a couple years just because it is so much more to just drive. I started this week taking it apart to get it painted.

The previous owner put in the roll pan in the back. Rubbing my hand on the seams I was happy with the work. Then today I hit the road block. He welded the roll pan in a blocked the bottom bolt that hold the tailgate hardware to the bed.

Unless I cut the pan out or butcher/notch the tailgate I now have a non-removable tailgate.

This is why they are so much more fun to drive....LOL

Scott
Attached Images

scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:10 PM   #2
77chris03

Re: reached a serious road block

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
I bought this 72 Blazer a few years ago on a killer deal. It is pretty much complete with the exception of a little body water and paint. I have put that off for a couple years just because it is so much more to just drive. I started this week taking it apart to get it painted.

The previous owner put in the roll pan in the back. Rubbing my hand on the seams I was happy with the work. Then today I hit the road block. He welded the roll pan in a blocked the bottom bolt that hold the tailgate hardware to the bed.

Unless I cut the pan out or butcher/notch the tailgate I now have a non-removable tailgate.

This is why they are so much more fun to drive....LOL

Scott
you could always go from the backside...no such thing as a road block...find another way around it!!!
68 C10 Stepper #1- GONE 68 C10 Stepper #2
1977 Chevy Cheyenne...gone...was my first Chevy
04 Tahoe Z71, 04 Silverado 2500HD, 04 Sierra 2500HD
99 Sierra Stepside, 17 Denali HD, 84 K10
My 1st build-- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=379333
My 2nd build-- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=700310
77chris03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:40 AM   #3
hemi43

Now's your chance to remove that pan and put the original bumper back on. Roll pans were cool in the 90's
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:30 AM   #4
scott123

This is the direction I am leaning but have not decided. I am on the way out the door and sit on a five gallon bucket and stare at it. Maybe the answer will jump out at me. LOL

Funny how back in the 90's I thought the roll pan was (other than a cowl induction hood) was absolutely the worst thing a person could do to one of these trucks/blazers. When I bought this blazer I sort of like it now. Funny how that works.

(mine has a 68 front clip with a cowl induction hood. Every time I walk to the shop and open the doors it is like a kick in the nuts.

I have the fenders and core support ready to swap back to the 72. Waiting on the grill to get here.

Off to the five gallon bucket deliberation.......

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
Now's your chance to remove that pan and put the original bumper back on. Roll pans were cool in the 90's
Old 01-12-2022, 11:32 AM   #5
scott123

I think I have enough room to cut a slot in the tailgate (similar to the trucks in the 80's to remove the tailgate with the hardware intact.

My road black was I thought I was past the cutting and metal work on this one.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77chris03 View Post
you could always go from the backside...no such thing as a road block...find another way around it!!!