The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2022, 10:54 AM   #1
65chevysub

Wiper/dimmer switch

I need to replace the wiper/dimmer switch in my 84 GMC,(column mounted) and am wondering how much of the column I have to take apart? I know I have to remove the steering wheel, but how hard is it to remove the "jacket" where the switch is?
Thanks for any advice and tips. I've watched YouTube but there's not a lot about just doing this with minimal disassembly.
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:38 PM   #2
Wgesnerjr

Re: Wiper/dimmer switch

I would not describe replacement of the wiper switch as "minimal disassembly". IIRC, the upper column cover (jacket) will need to come out. That is the only way to get to the wiper switch. However, this much disassembly will help in snaking the wiper wires down the column.

The dimmer switch is a little easier as it sits on the outer left side of the column under the dash. Again, IIRC, the dimmer switch shares a mounting screw with the ignition switch. (not the key but the electrical switch on the outside top of the column) Be careful as the switch can be knocked out of adjustment.

Search for a steering column exploded diagram. It will be a great help.

Good luck.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:25 AM   #3
65chevysub

Thanks for the input. I'm planning on doing this over 2 days so I can take my time and not break anything or knock anything out of adjustment
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:10 AM   #4
TKCR

I did this a couple years ago. I watched a video on YouTube. It was mainly snaking the wire down the inside of the column. I attached a thin wire to the end of the terminal of the old stalk, so when I pulled it out all I had to do is attach the new one to the wire and pull it back down.
It was not too terrible of a job, other than being up under the dash wasn’t very comfortable, lol.
TKCR is online now   Reply With Quote