The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2015, 10:56 PM   #76
Breadfather

Re: Decal Replacement/77 Chevy Sport?

DON'T LET THIS THREAD DIE!!!!

I blew up my old 77K10 a while back and was finally able to pick up a new one last weekend. When I brought it home, I noticed the words "Chevy Sport" on the drivers side bed under the surface rust when the light hit it just right. Then as I was cleaning out the glove box, I noticed the 9J9 "Deluxe Sport Equipment" on the SPID. I have been on a very frustrating search for information since. This thread has more information on the "Sport Package" than anywhere else on the internet.

With this thread being 4 years old, has there been any developments on the decals for 77s? Especially the fleet side? What about how to find the factory "light bar" that came with the 9J9? All that is left of mine is 2 inches of each mounting point, as someone cut the old one out previously in its life. I am convinced that these trucks are pretty rare(especially the 9J9 fleet side 4x4) and I want to make sure that when I do the body work, I don't eliminate something that is very difficult to find.

Mine is a K10 fleet side, 9J9, Black, Blue bucket seat interior, with the 400 sb. I am trying to attach the SPID, let's see if this works.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #77
Breadfather

Nothing?
Old 08-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #78
E.D.75GMC

I can't offer any information on the sport equipment... but I would love to see some pictures of your truck here!
E.D.75GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #79
Breadfather

Well if I can fixture out how to resize the pictures again I'll get them in here. Unfortunately all of the "deluxe sport equipment" and decals are gone. Only traces of the equipment remains. I'll see what I can do about the pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Breadfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #80
Breadfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadfather View Post
Well if I can fixture out how to resize the pictures again I'll get them in here. Unfortunately all of the "deluxe sport equipment" and decals are gone. Only traces of the equipment remains. I'll see what I can do about the pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #81
Breadfather

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #82
Breadfather

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #83
Breadfather

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #84
Breadfather

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #85
Breadfather

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #86
Breadfather

Sorry for all of the posts but the pics were too big so I had to do them 1 at a time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #87
E.D.75GMC

That's awesome. I love the black sport trucks with the purple/blue stripe treatment. Hopefully someone chimes in to help you out! Someone's bound to just depends when they're online I suppose.
E.D.75GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:02 PM   #88
1774btcrew

Nice! I actually have one of those ancillary light switches

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:04 PM   #89
Breadfather

I contacted the GM Archive department today to talk about ordering the dealer invoice for this truck. After a discussion with some very nice guy in the archive dept, he read me the dealer invoice and it really didn't say anything different from the SPID card, other than having the pricing info. He did give me the number of a guy named Jim at the GM Heritage center so I gave him a call and he actually called me back. He is going to see what he can dig up on my truck as well. Not sure anything will come from it but I wish I could get some good enough pictures of a Fleetside 77 sport with a measuring tape in it so I can see if I can get anyone to make up some decals.

It still blows my mind how little info or other trucks there are like this to compare with.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:09 PM   #90
Breadfather

There is a guy in this thread (77 Sport) is his name and his avatar picture is the closest on pe that I have seen to what mine looked like. I PM'd him to see if he has the truck or at least pictures of it. The one he has a pic of looks like a 2wd but it has the light bar. Unfortunately the pic is too small to see anything in any great detail.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:17 PM   #91
Breadfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1774btcrew View Post
Nice! I actually have one of those ancillary light switches
Is yours a sport? Seeing your location makes me miss my home. AZ.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:38 PM   #92
Misled

I am getting closer to trying to get them made for my 78 stepside. I did find a guy out of state who is an original owner of a 78 stepside K10 sport with the correct color stripes. I may just have to fly out and take a ton of pics.
Misled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #93
Breadfather

A user by the name of 80 Sport was working on a 78 sport restoration 4 years ago according to this thread(page 1) he may have them done by now and be able to tell you how to get a set. He seems like he knows a lot about the sport package trucks. May want to PM him.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #94
80SPORT

I have restored 79 and 80 Sports ...we have the striping for those;I have project truck 1978 and 1981 Sports...neither have original paint or stripes.I have an original paint/stripe 76 Sport.And an original paint 77 stepside but the stripes were replaced very early on with painted ones (it was an Arizona desert truck and the originals peeled off in the sun).My 77 is a 9j9 truck;came with a roll bar but it was missing by the time I got it.I was able to buy a correct roll bar from an owner who took one out of a new truck.But it is the stepside version.They are higher than you would think;I can give you the height and tubing dimensions and you could get one built that would be 99% right.
The last picture is the only picture I have on file of a fleetside 9J9.
The lights that are mounted on top of the "sport bar" as Chevy called it were dealer installed as part of PDI.I talked with the guy who supplied my roll bar...he had purchased the unit new...and his were never installed ( I assume someone in pdi kept them or they could have been stolen when truck was on lot)
Attached Images

80SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #95
Breadfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SPORT View Post
I have restored 79 and 80 Sports ...we have the striping for those;I have project truck 1978 and 1981 Sports...neither have original paint or stripes.I have an original paint/stripe 76 Sport.And an original paint 77 stepside but the stripes were replaced very early on with painted ones (it was an Arizona desert truck and the originals peeled off in the sun).My 77 is a 9j9 truck;came with a roll bar but it was missing by the time I got it.I was able to buy a correct roll bar from an owner who took one out of a new truck.But it is the stepside version.They are higher than you would think;I can give you the height and tubing dimensions and you could get one built that would be 99% right.
The last picture is the only picture I have on file of a fleetside 9J9.
The lights that are mounted on top of the "sport bar" as Chevy called it were dealer installed as part of PDI.I talked with the guy who supplied my roll bar...he had purchased the unit new...and his were never installed ( I assume someone in pdi kept them or they could have been stolen when truck was on lot)
80 Sport, based on many many hours on the Internet, you are the foremost expert on these trucks. How rare would you say these trucks are? Any sizing and measurements that you may be able to provide would be very much appreciated. sizing on the stickers, the sizing of the light bar tubes, size of each color on the stickers, etc. if you look at the picture I posted above of the mounting spots of the old light bar, would you say the 2 bolts on the front of the wheel bump are the original mouthing bolts or the part that is actually cut off? I can't think of a reason those bolts would be there and in both sides.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:18 PM   #96
Breadfather

Also, the styled wheels, do they have yellow and orange stripes around the outside edge? I have what I think is one of the original wheels as it has the 3 bolt holes for the center cap but I can't find any close ups of the wheels to determine if they have those stripes.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #97
1774btcrew

Quote:
Is yours a sport? Seeing your location makes me miss my home. AZ.
Mine isn't a sport. It came from a sport at the wrecking yard. I just knew the switch was hard to come by

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #98
80SPORT

Quote:
Also, the styled wheels, do they have yellow and orange stripes around the outside edge? I have what I think is one of the original wheels as it has the 3 bolt holes for the center cap but I can't find any close ups of the wheels to determine if they have those stripes.
The striped wheels appear to be a mid year change....they are noted in the parts book.Do they look like attached picture?
Attached Images

80SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #99
Breadfather

Yes they do but They only have three holes for the center caps. So I guess I have 1 original wheel?
Old 08-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #100
Breadfather

Do you happen to have or know any build data on these trucks? I'm guessing by the lack of information everywhere that they are fairly rare?