The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2022, 02:22 PM   #1
Too Slow '90

Boyds Tank Problems in a '60 SWB

I started the installation last weekend and was pretty optimistic until I set it in place. I removed the crossmember and set it in place. You can see from the pictures that I cut a small relief in the bed support for the roll over vent. In this location the flush fill cap will not fit. If I move it forward the roll over vent and sender will hit the bed support and the EFI cap will be under it. The fill cap is supposed to be in the middle of one of the boards but it hits dead center of the stainless steel bed strips.

It is supposed to be correct so and I'm wondering if anyone else had these problems. I have not received a response from Boyds.
Attached Images

Last edited by Too Slow '90; 01-06-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Too Slow '90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:42 PM   #2
Mack B

Re: Boyds Tank Problems in a '60 SWB

I had similar issues on my 63. My filler didn’t center a strip but did overlap one. I also had to cut the nipple on the filler down. I bought the tank in 2013 but didn’t install till 2 years ago, I assumed mine was made before some changes where made.
Attached Images

Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #3
Too Slow '90

Mine is only a year and a half old. Everything I read and discussed with Boyd indicated it was the correct one. If I don't hear from them soon I may just have to take it to a local shop and have them move the filler. I can probably modify the other parts to make it work but I don't want to cut the bed strips.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:53 PM   #4
PGSigns

I think the tank is to far back. The three I have done I removed the small cross member that is in front of your tank and left the rear one in to protect the tank. The bed rail is in between the vents and the filler. This will be more important if you put an efi pump where the plate is.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:51 AM   #5
Too Slow '90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
I think the tank is to far back. The three I have done I removed the small cross member that is in front of your tank and left the rear one in to protect the tank. The bed rail is in between the vents and the filler. This will be more important if you put an efi pump where the plate is.
Jimmy
I appreciate the response. My next step was to move it forward and see what the next conflicts are. I think I can crank the vent down and clear the bed support. The filler is going to split the bed strip no matter how I position it so I will have it moved by someone local. I didn't get any response from Boyd welding. I guess it's a sign of the times.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:56 AM   #6
oldtrux

Maybe these pics could help?
Attached Images

oldtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:58 AM   #7
oldtrux

Is my filler a little further from frame rail?
Old 01-14-2022, 11:04 AM   #8
MT65

Seems to me it was poorly engineered, some are posting about similar issues, the fact that they are not responding speaks volumes, they could care less, they have your money and they have no dignity…
Your at a point to fix it, sad news I’m sure , but make it what you need it to be, more dollars, but doable.
This is exactly why I have a local guy build my “vessels”, I make a pattern, make the fuel pump and sender plates, tell him where the filler should be and have zero issues, probably less money involved than what you already spent
Sorry your having this issue, but I see more and more of this in the aftermarket industry today….
MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:14 AM   #9
oldtrux

Last edited by oldtrux; 01-14-2022 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 01-14-2022, 12:00 PM   #10
verdell

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrux View Post
60-62 has a different frame than 63-66. The Boyd's tank for the 60-62 is 8 inches wider than the 63-66 tank as well according to their specs. I'm currently running a 94 S10 blazer tank in my 60 and had to get creative with the filler. I was interested in the Boyd's tank for my 60 but now I'm not so sure...
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:28 PM   #11
oldtrux

Oh my bad,didn’t know that!
Old 01-17-2022, 04:38 PM   #12
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdell View Post
60-62 has a different frame than 63-66. The Boyd's tank for the 60-62 is 8 inches wider than the 63-66 tank as well according to their specs. I'm currently running a 94 S10 blazer tank in my 60 and had to get creative with the filler. I was interested in the Boyd's tank for my 60 but now I'm not so sure...
The tanks are wider but the cross sills are in the same location. Can you move it forwards so that the cross sill goes across the center of the tank? I know when I installed mine on my 62 that is what I did but that then caused issues with bolting it to the frame because if you move it too far forward the frame is boxed where you need to bolt it. I had to get creative with the bracket that is supposed to go inside the frame. I think I had to chop it up and put part of it inside the boxed section.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:37 PM   #13
Too Slow '90

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
The tanks are wider but the cross sills are in the same location. Can you move it forwards so that the cross sill goes across the center of the tank? I know when I installed mine on my 62 that is what I did but that then caused issues with bolting it to the frame because if you move it too far forward the frame is boxed where you need to bolt it. I had to get creative with the bracket that is supposed to go inside the frame. I think I had to chop it up and put part of it inside the boxed section.
It will only move forward 2-1/2"- 3" without modifying the mounting angles. At that location several of the accessory ports will be under the bed support. How did your filler work out? It looks like I am going to have mine modified to work. If I had known it was not engineered properly I would have used one of the other suggestions on the forum. It's a nice looking tank but that may be where it ends.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:54 PM   #14
forestb

So I forgot that I had removed the cross bracket that is in your way (the brace that is in between the axle and your tank) a long time ago when I installed a previous fuel cell type tank. Because I had already cut a fuel door in the bed wood for the old tank I had to special order my Boyd tank with a custom location filler neck. It some point I had someone welled in a peace of square tubing as a cross brace at the vary end of my frame for added protection and support.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:58 PM   #15
forestb

Some of the bracing under your bed looks different than mine. This is a photo of mine with the old fuel cell installed. The two cross braces that my tank is hung from are peaces that I installed. Now that I look at it, it does not look like I removed the cross brace that I said I did. You can see how I had to modify one of my cross sills in order to get my old filler neck in the right location. That is where the new filler neck is located. May be there are some differences between a 60 swb and a 62 short step side. Is your truck a gm or a chevy?
Old 01-18-2022, 11:01 PM   #16
forestb

forgot the photo
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2022, 11:03 PM   #17
forestb

I don't recognize this cross brace.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2022, 11:04 PM   #18
forestb

Here is a photo of what my tank looks like.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2022, 08:29 AM   #19
Too Slow '90

Quote:
Some of the bracing under your bed looks different than mine. This is a photo of mine with the old fuel cell installed. The two cross braces that my tank is hung from are peaces that I installed. Now that I look at it, it does not look like I removed the cross brace that I said I did. You can see how I had to modify one of my cross sills in order to get my old filler neck in the right location. That is where the new filler neck is located. May be there are some differences between a 60 swb and a 62 short step side. Is your truck a gm or a chevy?
Mine is a Chevy. I think the brace with the red arrow is the front stop for the spare tire carrier. The picture below is the tank I have.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2022, 11:24 AM   #20
forestb

re you able to remove that brace and move the tank forward?
Old 01-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #21
Too Slow '90

Quote:
re you able to remove that brace and move the tank forward?
Yes. It will move it about 2-1/2" - 3" before it hits the boxed section of the frame. It will put the roll over vent in about the same position as it is now but on the opposite side of the bed support.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:06 PM   #22
forestb

I cut a peace off of the mettle rod with the three holes drilled and tapped in it. I was able to take that piece and get it inside of the boxed part of the frame so could move the tank further forward. I needed to make sure that it was a long enough piece so that it would not rotate inside the frame.