The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2022, 01:59 AM   #1
68ls1

Retro Fit In Tank Fuel Pump (carb)

As anyone retrofitted an in tank pump in to a Blazer fuel Tank?
I am thinking of doing this, will be still running a carburetor, with possibility of EFI later. No plans to make anymore than 400hp, using SBC.
We believe there is a current issue with fuel feed when tank gets down to around 1/4 tank on gauge, so in all likelihood will be dropping tank and replacing hoses.

I see Holley have one, https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-129, which can be upgraded to EFI by changing internal regulator

Tanks Inc also have one, https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...prod/prd84.htm, which uses an external regulator, https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...cat/cat163.htm

A query I have is that my understanding is a Blazer tank is 13" deep, but Holley list maximum depth 12" and Tanks Inc 10.5"

Any other suggestions?
68ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:35 AM   #2
Thealien

Re: Retro Fit In Tank Fuel Pump (carb)

I extended my tanks Inc. bracket to fit into my Blazer tank. So I don’t think the maximum depth is something to really worry about.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:48 AM   #3
jaros44sr

I used this one

20190930_180411 by 20191002_093933 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/97391199@N06/]

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:51 AM   #4
jaros44sr

With this mounting ring kit

20191002_093933 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/97391199@N06/]

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 01-24-2022, 10:54 AM   #5
hemi43

What Jaros did;

OEM pump assemblies are a gift to us that do EFI conversions. Most are adjustable for tank depth, have a fuel level sender, keeps the pump always submerged in fuel no matter the level of the tank to reduce noise and heat. Best part is that they can be adapted to just about anything and are fairly cheap to buy. Boggles my mind that some still use inline pumps.
Attached Images

hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:13 PM   #6
68ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
I used this one
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
What Jaros did;

OEM pump assemblies are a gift to us that do EFI conversions. Most are adjustable for tank depth, have a fuel level sender, keeps the pump always submerged in fuel no matter the level of the tank to reduce noise and heat. Best part is that they can be adapted to just about anything and are fairly cheap to buy. Boggles my mind that some still use inline pumps.

Yes the OEM is a great solution, but I would still need to install an external regulator for carb. I suppose no big deal to remove if switch to EFI down the track

One of the things I like about the Holley as it has an inbuilt reg already set for 6psi, so is returnless fuel line. I can also make a shelf at 12" like has been done for the OEM pumps, this may help with clearance underbed

Brothers also sell what looks to be the Tanks Inc and install video appears to be a Blazer tank, but web site also states max depth 10.5"

https://www.brotherstrucks.com/1947-...tinfo/FIPK372/
Old 01-24-2022, 10:23 PM   #7
jaros44sr

Which ever one you choice, the shelf is mandatory, as there is very limited space between the tank and bed

The return line would also benefit the carb, to eliminate vapor lock

Hope it works out for you, keep us posted, as solutions to problems are always helpful to the next guy

The mounting ring for the pump is the key to success, looks like Hemi used a different one then mine

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 01-25-2022, 10:04 AM   #8
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ls1 View Post
Yes the OEM is a great solution, but I would still need to install an external regulator for carb. I suppose no big deal to remove if switch to EFI down the track
You could, but you would need a regulator that feeds back to the tank or else you will overload the pump. Another option is to change the pump itself in the OEM assembly to one with lower pressure. Most are similar in physical size so they can be made to fit with some modification.
This might be the right time to bite the bullet and go EFI. Once you do, you will never want a carb again.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:39 PM   #9
68ls1

Quote:
You could, but you would need a regulator that feeds back to the tank or else you will overload the pump. Another option is to change the pump itself in the OEM assembly to one with lower pressure. Most are similar in physical size so they can be made to fit with some modification.
This might be the right time to bite the bullet and go EFI. Once you do, you will never want a carb again.
A reason I would like to keep carb at the moment is to assist with getting it registered here, the more "stock" the easier it usually is. The 72 C10 in my avatar has the Holley Terminator Max Stealth, and it has transformed the driving experience. EFI is definitely a possibility, and a reason I was looking for a solution that has a simple upgrade path.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:16 PM   #10
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ls1 View Post
A reason I would like to keep carb at the moment is to assist with getting it registered here, the more "stock" the easier it usually is. The 72 C10 in my avatar has the Holley Terminator Max Stealth, and it has transformed the driving experience. EFI is definitely a possibility, and a reason I was looking for a solution that has a simple upgrade path.
Ah, gotcha! I didn't realize you were in Australia. We have stupid rules here too in Canada. I guess it's a commonwealth thing unfortunately.
Americans have no idea the bull**** we have to deal with. Registering anything modified usually means you need to know someone that's willing to turn a blind eye to certain things, but the real problem here is getting it insured.
I wanted regular daily insurance for my Blazer, but I had to answer a few questions first. The first thing they asked was "does the vehicle have the original fuel pump"? I kid you not! Because I'm using a 5.3, they could not insure it, so I reluctantly had to use Hagerty. It was then that I found out that Hagerty puts way more restrictions on Canadians than Americans.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:42 PM   #11
68ls1

Quote:
Ah, gotcha! I didn't realize you were in Australia. We have stupid rules here too in Canada. I guess it's a commonwealth thing unfortunately.
Americans have no idea the bull**** we have to deal with. Registering anything modified usually means you need to know someone that's willing to turn a blind eye to certain things, but the real problem here is getting it insured.
Yes the pain is real . I may have gotten lucky, it seems mine was built in late 70, so I will not have to meet any of the ADRs (Australian Design Regulations) introduced for any cars made here in 1971, so I can keep lap belts etc. The only downside is I will need to register as a 1970 Blazer, yes here we go by build date, not model designation.