The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
Metalaroundstone

Anybody ever fix a 64-66 2-speed wiper switch

The windshield washer button on my 2-speed wiper switch does not work. Anybody ever take one of these apart and fix it? The rest of the switch works ok, but the button does not send current to the windshield washer pump.
Thanks
Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Anybody ever fix a 64-66 2-speed wiper switch

Before taking the switch apart, you might want to do a bit more testing & troubleshooting. The switch doesn't send current to the washer pump. Instead, the power feed to the motor & pump solenoid (yellow wires) are live whenever the ignition switch is on. The wiper switch is on the ground side of the circuit and completes the path to ground (dark blue wire) to activate the pump solenoid. Similarly, the switch grounds the other two wires (black & light blue) to complete the circuits to run the motor on the low & high speeds.

If it does end up being the switch, I've taken various switches apart but never a wiper switch for one of these trucks. It looks as though the rear contact plate is simply held in place by a few staked spots on the housing. So you should be able to bend those out enough to remove the rear plate. Since the washer button is spring-loaded, that spring might come out when you remove the rear plate so be careful not to loose that. To hold it all back together after you've cleaned the contacts you'll have to re-stake the housing in a few spots being careful not to crack the contact plate.

Finally, if it can't be fixed, new switches are available.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:40 AM   #3
beefshreadder116

ya, everytime i need wipers i just jiggle it. lol
Old 04-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
Metalaroundstone

Well, I got the washer button to work without taking the switch apart. I took ray_mcavoy's advice and did some more wire checking and the solenoid in the washer system working. Not sure why, but I will take it. Thanks for your help. Hopefully, I saved the price of a new switch.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
Mater/10

Your lucky , my wipers wont come on when i turn the switch ,only when i press the washer button and they only go once so when i drive in the rain i have to rapidly press the button to run the wipers.
Mater/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mater/10 View Post
Your lucky , my wipers wont come on when i turn the switch ,only when i press the washer button and they only go once so when i drive in the rain i have to rapidly press the button to run the wipers.
I'm no expert but it sounds like you have two connections on the back of the switch switched, or somehow the connections are switched between the windshield washer pump and the wiper motor, which is probably unlikely because the wiper motor has a three terminal connector while the washer pump has only a two terminal connector. But you never know what creative wiring one might run into. On my switch, you can't even push the button all the way in until the wiper switch is turned to low or high. Do your wipers work by just pushing the button while the wiper motor is in the off position?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
ray_mcavoy

Metalaroundstone, I'm glad to hear that you were able to get your washer pump working without having to dismantle or replace the switch. And I agree ... it does sound like Mater/10's problem could be due to some connections being crossed up in the wiring between the motor & switch.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote