The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #51
59stepside

Re: Camaro front clip questions

Cobra 427, I finally got around to registering with the other forum to look at those pictures. That is going to help out a lot. I'm trying to figure out what looks good as far as how far to move the wheel centerline forward. I have the centerline marked on my fender before I took it off but can't really use that for adding to because it's not stock centerline.

Can you are somebody tell me what measurement I should be at from camaro shock mount(centerline) and say the front cab mount bracket. I think I will be at 28 1/2" but that's guestimating. I want to decide what this measurement needs to be before I cut off the stock frame off.

1959 Stepside build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=602386
59stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #52
59stepside

Or any other measurement for reference that I can make once the frame is cut. Like cab mount to camaro body mount ear, etc...

Old 11-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #53
59stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Warrior View Post
Spblack, its hard to tell without a cab and fender on it , some guys don't move the front axle centerline forward, and the front wheels will not be centered in the wheel well.
You can measure from the leading edge of the front cab mount to the leading edge of the front shock hole on the clip . Stock center line is 28-3/8". I put mine at 29-3/8" and it was centered up perfect IMO.
I guess it helps to re read the post... Is this measurement for the cab mount the leading edge of the tab that mounts to frame or the leading edge of the larger portion perpendicular to the frame rails.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #54
1958Warrior

Leading edge on top of frame , I measured 1 1/2" in from the inside of the frame and put a punch mark on both sides , and used a trammel ,to measure from the punch mark to the front leading edge of the shock hole without the a-arms on to interfere .

My cab mounts had never been removed , I did remove them later after the clip was installed to paint the frame.

If you just use a tape measure it is easy to be off because you are measuring at an angle , the trammels will measure from point to point .
1958Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #55
59stepside

That is exactly what I needed! WOW this forum is fantastic.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #56
chip46wis

I see a great video on Ebay from No limit Engineering for like $20 New also I think.I used the same one a couple years ago---very handy and informative.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #57
Cobra427sc

Hey 59stepside! From what I remember what we did was, from the cabs front mounts that are bolted to the frame, it was 28 inches to the center of the original axle. You can check that as you still have the original one on.

We then marked the Trans Am clip with the spindle added and used a plum line to find the center and we grooved a line on the engine cross mount just under the lower control arm but more on the edge of the engine cross mount. The edge just before it goes down to were the engine mounts would be.

Hope this makes sense to you and anyone else, I'm not that good at explaining stuff, but I will try.

After that we cut a jig that we mad out of cardboard, from the curved part to the grooved line in the Trans Am clip. Put a 5 foot level from the cab mounts and lined up the front of the jig to the center mark. Then drew the out line curve on the original frame rail side. Measure, re-measure and measure again to make absolutely sure before you cut the frame.

You see that is what we did but that gave us the 28 or 28 1/2 inches for it to be the same as original. I didn't like it as the original is to far back in the wheel well. So we added 9/16th of an inch to it and lined up one fender to the truck to see how it looked.

It's a matter of personal preference and how you want your truck to look. Some like it moved up and some move it back. Neither is wrong to the beholder.
So make sure it's what you want and how you like it.

Anyways It looked right to me not right on center with the wheel well but just a little tad back.
After that we tack welded one side then measured the other, cross measured from both sides tacked it in and re measured everything again. If you have it to far forward it's not a problem to cut it back, but if you cut it short you can still fix it...but. I will leave it at that as welders just amaze me in what they can do.

When I felt it was right we welded in in place.
And the rest will be history.

I hope this made sense and will help you and anyone else out, this is how we did it but there are other ways maybe that are easier.
Later and good luck with the build!!
Cobra427sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #58
1958Warrior

chip46wis, That is how I did mine with the exception of adding 1"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVD-No-limit...item1c39837d50

I like the cleaner look to it, its not the best quality video 80's vhs copied to dvd, but it was nice to have it I could stop working and watch it when I was unsure about something.
The stack method will get you a couple inches lower, and seems to be simpler.
The links to the threads in post #34 are the best information I had seen but I still had questions that the dvd helped answer.
Just passing on what I've learned to help the next guy.
1958Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #59
59stepside

I have decided to not do this the no limit way for various reasons but thank you for the info.

Cobra, I wanted to thank you and I think I just need to draw this out and re-read a couple times to understand it. Or go out and look at it while reading. I'm at work for a 24hr overnight but I will take a look and re read tomorrow...

Last edited by 59stepside; 11-28-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #60
Spblack

Ive been looking at the frame I purchased with the Camaro clip already installed. seems its not finished. I need to make the front bumper mount. I don't want to hack off the front horns of my existing frame, id rather make a flat bar out of 1/2 steel or something to clean it up. how did you guys mount the front bumper part?
Spblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #61
Cobra427sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spblack View Post
Ive been looking at the frame I purchased with the Camaro clip already installed. seems its not finished. I need to make the front bumper mount. I don't want to hack off the front horns of my existing frame, id rather make a flat bar out of 1/2 steel or something to clean it up. how did you guys mount the front bumper part?
Hey Spblack! I blended mine in to the original truck frame. I will add some pictures for you. I have many pictures of the whole process but you can only load 5 pic's here at a time. So I will do the best to give you an idea of what I did. My clip may be a little different then your as mine is a 1980's Trans Am Clip.
Later.
Cobra427sc
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #62
Cobra427sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra427sc View Post
Hey Spblack! I blended mine in to the original truck frame. I will add some pictures for you. I have many pictures of the whole process but you can only load 5 pic's here at a time. So I will do the best to give you an idea of what I did. My clip may be a little different then your as mine is a 1980's Trans Am Clip.
Later.
Cobra427sc
Some more pictures to follow.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #63
Cobra427sc

Attached Images

Old 11-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #64
Cobra427sc

Attached Images

Old 11-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #65
Cobra427sc

Attached Images

Old 11-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #66
Cobra427sc

Attached Images

Old 11-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #67
Cobra427sc

Attached Images

Old 11-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #68
Cobra427sc

Last ones!!! I promise!
Well this is what we did, but the old frame and front end was welded in place on the frame table before we even cut the frame for the clip. So even after we cut the section out for the clip the front bumper and original frame rails never moved. Just lucky my friend has a frame table.

Hope this gives you some ideas for your build.
Later and good luck with your build.
Cobra427sc.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #69
PDW HOTRODS

Do you have any good close up pics near the steering box with it installed?
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #70
Speedbumpauto

Another solution to consider if you don't want to use the stock frame front. I welded in 2x2 tubing to the frame where I cut it off in front of the steering box mount. Covered the hole and tubing with 3/16 plate for added support. Then I used 1 3/4 tubing stubs welded to the back of the bumper so the bumper "plugs in" to the frame. Doing it this way allowed me to fit the bumper as close to the body as I wanted and at the ht. I wanted by mocking up the bumper to "my" proper location and tacking on the plugs. For full disclosure, I was already planning to fill the bumper holes and mount the bumper upside down and this allowed me a little more freedom to fit it the way I wanted. The bumper unplugs from the truck by removing two bolts that screw into captive nuts welded into the plugs. For the "in the weeds" crowd, it could be a plus for a floor jack, etc. Downside, the bumper isn't quite as strong since I eliminated the side braces.
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #71
Spblack

awesome stuff. thanks guys. I love the details. next question, did you guys use the stock location for motor mounts on the subframe for a 350? I am considering going with a used 5.3 pull out since they are cheaper than a 350. Ive seen a few threads with custom mounts, but none that have bolted right up.
Spblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #72
Cobra427sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDW HOTRODS View Post
Do you have any good close up pics near the steering box with it installed?
Hey PDW HOTRODS!
This is all I could find, I hope it helps.
Later.
Cobra427sc
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #73
PDW HOTRODS

Is your subframe in 1 inch forward? My frame had the front cut off already, so I had no front axle to measure centerline. I put in my Camaro rear end and then measured forward and made the wheelbase 115.5. I may have gone a little too far. I mounted the cab and front fenders, but no weight yet. My core support bolt will hit the steering box.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #74
Cobra427sc

Quote:
awesome stuff. thanks guys. I love the details. next question, did you guys use the stock location for motor mounts on the subframe for a 350? I am considering going with a used 5.3 pull out since they are cheaper than a 350. Ive seen a few threads with custom mounts, but none that have bolted right up.
Hey Spblack! Well for some reason that didn't work??? I will try it again!

Last edited by Cobra427sc; 11-29-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #75
Cobra427sc

Quote:
Hey Spblack! When I went to mount the engine my engine mounts didn't line up with any of the pre-drilled holes either in the engines cross member.

So we just used an engine jack with the engine mounts attached to the engine and slid it in. Leveled the engine, lined up the transmission to differential and checked the firewall for clearance.
I didn't have a transmission cross member so the tranny was jacked for the leveling. Make sure all the weight of the engine is on the engine mount to engine cross member as it will side down a bit with all the engines weight. Then rotate it and get the right engine level.

I hope this makes some sense to you, as I'm not that good at explaining stuff.

Once we were happy with the location and the engine was leveled and lined up, we just tack in the engine mounts and then welded it all up after we re measured everything again.

There is not much room were the distributor meets the fire wall with my 1988 GM 350 TBI engines as this is the first generation Carb/Fuel injection engine and has a lot of wiring for the distributor. But the distributors can be rotated from what I was told, for an easier hook up. If I can't do that! I will just modify the firewall area from inside the cab and make an access panel, just in case I need to get to it and the problem is solved.

I guess there are other engine mounts out there, but I used the ones I had.
I hope this helps in some way!!
Later Buddy.
Cobra427sc

P.S I will add pictures if I can find some, as at this stage in the build things got moving kind of fast.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cobra427sc; 11-29-2013 at 12:52 PM.