The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
AusTx68

Seriously, $3K for a sub box???

Visited Custom Sounds in Pflugerville, Texas to ask about a sub box. I told them I wanted a fiberglass box moulded to fill the space behind the seat and cover the cab corners. The sales guys first says $1600. Then his tech comes out and looks it over. He then slips off to the back. The sales guy goes back to talk to him and comes back with a price of $3k just to build the box. WTH?? Sounds like some serious price gouging to me.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Seriously, $3K for a sub box???

Could be, but alot of times you get what you pay for. FG takes a LONG time to get to where its paintable which is what I assume is what you want. This is a big reason why I got for vinyl, carpet, and plexiglass on my own boxes. I could easily triple the price after paint is factored in.

$1400 is a pretty drastic change, but seeing your truck, I could see it. My advice is to go a bit smaller on the show factor and wrap the box in vinyl and maybe use some LED lighting or plexiglass trim pieces to complete the look.

Here's an example of a FG box wrapped in vynil, as well as the lighted trim panel we later added and wrapped in a faux carbon fiber vynil.

And Carpet/plexi

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
AusTx68

I really like the one in black. That would be more than enough. Did you build it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
stich626
Account Suspended

the installer ,looked at your truck saw the level of work already done, and knows how long it's gonna take to GIVE you a box that "fits the bill" where the sales guy thinks , just a f/g box
the installer see's the fit and finish that will be needed to "pull it off"
3k is a tad rich but, if the installers good you'll get a show stop'n box even when the music is off.
good luck .
did the installers price include the subs, something could've got lost along the way and the installer thinking box/sub(s)/amp and install it all (wire'n /etc)
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Have you checked out Scott Williams in Georgetown?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
AusTx68

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
the installer ,looked at your truck saw the level of work already done, and knows how long it's gonna take to GIVE you a box that "fits the bill" where the sales guy thinks , just a f/g box
the installer see's the fit and finish that will be needed to "pull it off"
3k is a tad rich but, if the installers good you'll get a show stop'n box even when the music is off.
good luck .
did the installers price include the subs, something could've got lost along the way and the installer thinking box/sub(s)/amp and install it all (wire'n /etc)
I'll admit, fit and finish are a big deal for me. I didn't explicitly say it but I'm sure they understood. The price quoted was for the completed box. Subs, amps and supporting hardware was another $1200. $4200 for a completed box with subs..in my opinion that's way too much. Then again, I'm clueless when it comes to audio stuff so my ignorance makes it hard for me to justify the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Have you checked out Scott Williams in Georgetown?
Thanks Jonboy, I will look him up! Does he have a shop by that name?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
pockets

just based on what you described, I could see it taking long enough to be roughly 3k. If you figure the shop rate is equivalent to a mechanics shop, say roughly $60 an hour, that works out to 50 hours of work.

If it is to be painted it could easily be that. You are basically doing body work making sure it is perfectly smooth for the paint. With vinyl it still has to be smooth but not nearly so. Carpet just a tad less so than vinyl.

I've seen custom door panels take close to a day each to build, so you can imagine how something like the back of a cab can easily be several days long.

One thing I would consider is the skill of the shop. If they have lots of previous work that is top notch, then you know you are spending on a good product.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I can't remember the name of his shop right off hand. He is a friend of a friend. I know his shop is a couple of blocks off of 35 in Georgetown. I am not sure if Jason knows him, but I will get the name of his shop from Scott.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I have Scott's info. The shop is AudioFX, (512) 930-7686.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTx68 View Post
I really like the one in black. That would be more than enough. Did you build it?
Posted via Mobile Device
I didnt build it, my friends at Auto Radio Stereo did everything on this one. I susually will be working with them, or doing more design work when I work with them, but this time I wanted to give the head fab guy (Adam) something to play with and this is what he came up with. Everything in that system was dreamed up and executed by him and it turned out awesome. If I had the money, I'd send the '85 in and let him go nuts.

What I can tell you is that its actually mostly MDF construciton. Just the front face is FG and even then, the area where the amp sits, is also MDF. It took a while to figure out the design becazuse the box is also ported, which requires more airspace and some serious calculations and figuring given the tight spaces we were working with. My dad was the one that actually got the port design to work right.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote